Anybody do anything creative with a reg homescreen layout?

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

I've never been much for skins. I don't know why. Maybe it's my packaging design background (I like boxes) or I may just be boring.

I like the list view of plugins reminescent of my PPC days.

Attached is my homescreen (That is longer than the actual screen so I gave a top and bottom view.) And I'm using the berry background which I like because some people ask if it's a fetus/zygote or something disgusting like that.

Coolsmartphone used to list these as basic home layouts or something like that but I cant find them there anymore

Has anyone ever done anything creative using this standard type layout?

If so, please post a pic or XML code.

Thanks.

HomeScreen.gif

Guest nickcornaglia

I guess I'm asking a loaded question when I ask if anyone has done anything creative with the basic layout....when that, in fact, would be a skin. I just like my neat little ducks all in a row.

But I was looking at the shortcuts screen that I modified from the Orange Layout XML. Where I have News (CNN), Google, Weather(Accuweather) & My Home WebCam

If you can split the rows up 50%-50% across from each other...then you can probably make a skin that looks like a N0KIA-type screen or a Palm screen with larger icons...can you not?

1st Line: Battery/Recepton Monitors

2nd Line: Big Centered Clock (12:00)

3rd Line: Shortcut #1 - Shortcut #2 - Shortcut #3 (Split 33% each)

4th Line: Shortcut #4 - Shortcut #5 - Shortcut #6

5th Line: Shortcut #7 - Shortcut #8 - Shortcut #9

...etc.

I may be stating the obvious or something that has been done before but I'm just learning XML and the whole Plug-In thing.

Nick

Guest JoelRae

I think it's been asked before and the general consensus is you can't get more than one plugin on a horizontal line :roll: I did start looking at xml stuff but have been really busy at college so didn't get far, so don't really know about whether you could split the MRU shortcuts :?

Guest nickcornaglia

But if you look at my screen shot and the Orange Full Home screen...you can see that they did.

Not two plugins per line...but two (or more) shortcuts per line. See below.

Weather

WebCam

Guest midnight

yep, you can do it this way, the problem is navigating these lines isnt perfect.....

say you move to icon 2 on line 1

then press down and move to icon 3 on line 2

then press down to move to icon 1 on line 3

now, if you pressup, it will skip to icon 3 on line 2, and up again it moves to icon 2 on line 1.... in other words it remembers where its up to, so the left right up and down movement doesnt move around the icons as it should.

(i had this running a while ago to simulate the symbian os, my idea to make it look much better just to piss of my 3650 owning m8, couldnt get it working as i liked (this navigation problem) so i scrapped it, also, many times the icons failed to load up as they should aswell)

I guess I'm asking a loaded question when I ask if anyone has done anything creative with the basic layout....when that, in fact, would be a skin. I just like my neat little ducks all in a row.

But I was looking at the shortcuts screen that I modified from the Orange Layout XML. Where I have News (CNN), Google, Weather(Accuweather) & My Home WebCam

If you can split the rows up 50%-50% across from each other...then you can probably make a skin that looks like a N0KIA-type screen or a Palm screen with larger icons...can you not?

1st Line: Battery/Recepton Monitors

2nd Line: Big Centered Clock (12:00)

3rd Line: Shortcut #1 - Shortcut #2 - Shortcut #3 (Split 33% each)

4th Line: Shortcut #4 - Shortcut #5 - Shortcut #6

5th Line: Shortcut #7 - Shortcut #8 - Shortcut #9

...etc.

I may be stating the obvious or something that has been done before but I'm just learning XML and the whole http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plug-in thing.

Nick

Guest midnight

hmmm, i correct myself, you can do it, although, i'd rather my phones homescreen not look like a nokia thatnks :)

still got the problems with the icons though (task manager, smart explorer etc)

Guest nickcornaglia

Ahhh...thanks for the reply(s).

It's not so much that I wanted it to look like a Nokia...but more a standard phone-ish interface or a palm-ish interface. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks

Nick

Guest fozzie

Glad you like it :) The zip file contains all the files you need to get it up and running. Unfortunately there is no super-duper multi-installer that you get with something like Richie M's Longhorn M5 Theme (respect ;)) So, there are a number of steps that you need to go through but they are fairly straightforward.

1. Install the Alarm Plugin (alarmplug.cab) - I installed to IPSM.

2. Install the LCD PLugin (lcdplugv1.5.cab) - I installed to Storage Card.

3. Copy .xml's and Landrover.jpg to IPSMApplication DataHome.

4. Create a directory IPSMApplication DataHomeLCD and copy the three files (lcdplug.ini rdv.gif today.gif) into it.

5. Power cycle the phone. Select the homescreen Fozzie LCD Alarm :D

I've also included a clickable version of the homescreen for quick access to the LCD plug-in's settings.

Note: The homescreen is expecting Sunnysoft's Mailcenter to be installed on the Storage Card. Edit this shortcut to whatever you want.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

fozzie

Credits to:

hardysmith - for the original Clear Layout that I started with.

Richie M - for the Alarm Plugin.

Twyx - for the LCD Plugin.

Edit: Updated 7 Oct 03 to include English version of LCD plug-in (and latest version of Alarm plug-in).

Fozzie Homescreen v1.1.zip

Guest Matt Kirby

Here's a few shots of my _homescreen.

It's very simple and uncluttered. I access my frequently used programs via speed-dials, so I got rid of the MRU list and any shortcuts, replacing the space left over with a nice big clock, with the date below.

All the usual standard _plugins are there but not shown (Missed Calls, All Day Event, etc).

Also, while doing this I noticed that the Call Progress _plugin on Orange's _homescreens is only one line, so it doesn't show you who you are calling (not that you often see the _homescreen during a call!).

If anyone likes this let me know and I'll post the XML.

Big Clock In Call.gif

Big Clock.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kroblanx

I used the PocketPC Fire theme and modded the layout to display the MRU apps toolbar. I prefer both devices to have the same screen. The screens look a LOT better than these images.

SmartFire.JPG

Here's a few shots of my _homescreen.  

It's very simple and uncluttered.  I access my frequently used programs via speed-dials, so I got rid of the MRU list and any shortcuts, replacing the space left over with a nice big clock, with the date below.  

All the usual standard _plugins are there but not shown (Missed Calls, All Day Event, etc).

Also, while doing this I noticed that the Call Progress _plugin on Orange's _homescreens is only one line, so it doesn't show you who you are calling (not that you often see the _homescreen during a call!).

If anyone likes this let me know and I'll post the XML.

can you post the xml please... cheers

Guest MoRFLeZ

Well I felt inspired, and having dealt with various HUGE homescreens that LOOK awesome, but don't preform as well as I want em to! I went back to basics, took a reg homescreen and tweaked it a bit.

MRU: Can't live without it

Calandar: Not as big as normal

4 Quick buttons to the things I use the most right now! Can't live without Candy Catchup and CrazyBubbles

Alarm Plugin: Seriously - can ANYONE live without that one!

And last but not least - the analogue clock plugin from MadBeetle..

It's a bit cramped, but it suits my needs perfectly!!

Edited: Oh .. and the colors *shudder*! Stole the colorscheme from the hublot theme, where they looked awesome! Still fiddling around with green colors though ... which I want in the final edit!!

myhomescreen.jpg

Guest MoRFLeZ
Great skin MoreFlez ... quite controversial use of the madbeetle http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plug-in though  :?  :wink:  :)

Controversial!? *lol* .. I think it's a sweet plugin, currently testing it for a review for www.4smartphone.dk - so it's not like I stole it. :o

It might be seen as: "I love MadBeetle" products!!! But it's really more of a: "This clock fits nice and snug in my current homescreen". *nod self*

If you read this post you will feel the URGE to buy MadBeetle Products... *lol*

Guest JoelRae

:) I meant no disrespect, and certainly wasn't implying any form of theft!!!

I guess the controversy arises when people use plugins that you have to pay for in skins meant for general distribution ... you made it clear this was a skin designed by you for your own specific needs, so that's cool :o

Take it easy y'all,

Joel

Guest MoRFLeZ

Yeah - makes sense now! Don't usually read this part of the forum :oops:

Anyways ... I'll do a version with the LCD plugin instead *innocent blink*!

• 2 weeks later...