EXCLUSIVE: SPV 2 - HTC 'Voyager' details!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

We can now EXCLUSIVELY reveal the first details on a new SmartPhone from HTC, codename 'Voyager', and likely to be the forthcoming SPV2.

First point to make: it's pretty nice :)

The HTC Voyager *looks* (in prototype form at least) just like a Tanager, but has an integrated camera and bluetooth.

The prototype devices are running a pre-RTM build of the forthcoming update to the SmartPhone OS, often referred to as 'SmartPhone 2003', although the branding is likely to change to 'Windows Mobile 2003 for SmartPhone' before launch time (in line with the recent update to the Pocket PC Operating System).

The integrated bluetooth will be a relief to many current SPV owners, and is made possible by the fact that the SmartPhone 2003 base level OS is likely to include native bluetooth support, as in Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, as well as a number of other benefits, such as in ROM .NET Compact Framework, as recently demo'd at Microsoft's 'Tech Ed Europe' event.

The integrated camera is a definite step up from the snap-on camera provided with Canary (SPV) and Tanager (SPV E-100), both in convenience, and performance. In use, the smoothness of the internal camera is remarkable, an improvement that is made possible by the removal of the slow Pseudo-Serial connection used in the first generation devices.

To date, there is no official announcement from HTC regarding the Voyager, and as such, no release date for either this handset or WM2003SP have been set.

However, a glance at the recently published Orange 'RoadMap' shows the SPV2 slated for Q4 2003, and this date is likely to have been decided after liaison with Microsoft and HTC.

The future looks bright for SmartPhone, and Christmas 2003 ;)

P

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Sounds good. Although i've been told not to expect ~anything~ out of Orange re official details on their SPV2, not until soon before its launch at the very least.

But whats to say the other carriers won't launch or commission it? :)

Guest mantrac
Whether carriers (e.g. Orange) decide to roll out the update is of course undecided, [...]

If the current situation is anything to compare by, SPV1 users should expect to be offered an SPV2 update by Q4 2012...

Oh, and another question...

Have the wizards behind SPV2 managed to crack the unresolved "SMS counter" mystery this time? I know that given today's technological knowhow, it's extremely hard to implement such sophisticated features in mobile phones but if I'm able to count the characters I'm writing, I'll reduce myself to tears!

It will be even more exciting for me to see the SPV play videos without stopping to rebuffer every 10 seconds.... One day, we'll all be able to follow a dialogue from beginning to end, uninterrupted!

Let's just hope those MS scientists "crack the puzzle" this time!!

Guest Paul [MVP]

I would expect SPV2 by the end of this year TBH.

- The SMS counter thing has been fixed in the base SP2002 OS for quite a while, just need it to filter through on an Orange update.

- Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 has Windows Media Player 9 codecs, if that is implement on WMSP2003, then things may work better

P

Guest spacemonkey

Paul, any info on what the processor in this thing is? Is it gonna be a faster ARM chip than the SPV and Tanager?

Also, what's the res of the inbuilt camera? I know the Mitac's inbuilt is a lowly 110k as opposed to our current external which is presumably about 300k pixel elements.

Guest midnight

i doubt O will give away too many details regarding the spv2, it would affect sales of the e100, in fact, i'm VERY surprised they've given away these details (even though we kind of knew these features would be included already, so nothing has surprised me at all so far)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Bear in mind hardware manufacturing is nothing to do with MS past the criteria for a SP device.

An yeah, SMS counter has worked on the Compal for a few months now...

that's 2 important improvements ... !!

I'll get one when it comes out if the CPU is at least twice as fast .... (just like I upgrade my PC every 2 years)

Guest Paul [MVP]

SP2002/3 is abstracted from the network layer, so theoretically, there's no reason why SP2002 couldn't be on a 3G phone...

P

Guest McHale

any idea if there will be true SDIO support? I would have to believe that a majority of users would want the ability to add a wi-fi card!

-Mc

Guest JoelRae
I would have to believe that a majority of users would want the ability to add a wi-fi card!

Sorry, a what-what card? Haven't got a clue so don't know whether I'm in that majority or not :oops:

Guest midnight

hehe, wi-fi card = wireless network card

as far as i am aware, 99% of pocketpc manufacturers are putting SDIO-Now into their windows mobile products, so i would assume the same will happen for windows mobile for smartphone.

No-one has any concrete facts about the SPV2, and O will keep tight lipped about it for a while, so really everything is just rumours at the moment, very little facts (except bluetooth, integrated camera and windows mobile for smatrphone installed, which, to be honest, was rumoured about 4 months ago)

Guest Paul [MVP]

Everything in the news post is confirmed fact Mid!

SDIO-Now is a HTC call, but it is featuring in their new devices, so fingers crossed :)

P

Can confirm the "SPV 2" will DEFINETLY be launched by Orange and we have been told on very good authority that it WILL be this year - as Paul mentioned Q4 '03.

More updates as I get them.

Guest vijay555

Peeps: is this 200 or 400mhz?

q4 2003 like april 2002 for tanager?

V

ps JoelRae:futurama fan?

*edit: Paul, you've seen it?

Guest midnight

paul, err, i know, hence the reason i said except bluetooth, integrated camera etc. ;P

what i was trying to get across is that apart from what you have mentioned everything else is rumour so its pointless asking what processor is in it, will it have this, will it have that, cos, no-one knows, and O would be mad to tell anyone as it would potentially kill off sales of the spv e100, and i really dont think O will be happy that these facts have emerged.

Guest midnight

nope, its a mockup made by patrice

i seriously doubt it would look like that, the camera sticks out at the mack, so how do you lay the phone down on a table?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.