Memory card slot

Guest AngelOfRage

I've read a fair bit about SD cards on Modaco and elsewhere, and the general consenus about the difference between SD and MMC is that SD has 2 more pins, is thicker and has a write-protect switch. Well either that's wrong or I've been ripped off.

I have a KingMax 256MB SD card, but it has no write-protect switch and is really thin - half the thickness as the SD card that came with the phone. It does have 9 pins though.

It feels like a brittle chunk of circuit board as opposed to the plastic-covered one I got with the phone.

Any views on this?

[been waiting ages to write this first post! :) ]

Guest spacecowboy6982

Lol , welcome to the site.

If your saying your new card is brittle looking and feeling - how well does it fit in to the slot - my previous phone (simemens sl45) had an MMC slot and one day the card just disappeared!!! Be wary !!

SpaceCowboy

Guest 3dcadnology

Does anybody has the problem that if you use the SD card with your phone and an USB card reader that after a couple of times the phones ask to format the card upon insertion and that formatting then goes wrong?

Does anyone have a solution?

Grtzzz, 3dcadnology

Guest spacecowboy6982

If the phones asking to format the card - then surely it hasnt been formatted, right ? But, if the format process isnt going to plan then is it not possible the SD Card is faulty ?

SpaceCowboy

Guest Richy_1985_yeah

To get best results, format the SD/MMC card 3-4 times with a card reader before using it in your smartphone.

Apparently you get better reliability. :roll:

Hi and welcome to the site.

To get best results, format the SD/MMC card 3-4 times with a card reader before using it in your smartphone.

Apparently you get better reliability. :roll:

I'm sorry but that just isn't true and there is no technical reason why it should be. The card just needs to be formatted the once. If it is unreliable after a single format then something is faulty - either the card or the device using it.

I am always sceptical of statements that begin 'apparently' :)