Now this IS cool!

Guest Anonymous

Guest amaidment

Interesting idea!! If only you could plug in a mouse and keyboard you could play Unreal Tournament without ever having to get up to go to the fridge for more beer!

Didn't realise there was ever a PIII 100 processor though.

Guest Gorskar

Thats probably a misprint when you look at the rest of the specification.

Maybe it can use the ethernet port for internet instead of the 56k modem, cause broadband is the way forward baby!

Hm, I think I'd better start saving my pennies. £8000 is about 100 times my idea of what a fridge should cost.

Guest HelloDave

Weird - I was having a discussion about Internet fridges today; shows how boring Uni can get!. I don't see the point of them - why would I want to stand in front of my fridge and access the 'net on what's probably a horrible custom interface when I could walk a few yards to my PC and browse in comfort (and have a proper keyboard!)? It's just including technology for the sake of it really; I'd much rather write a post-it note than muck about with video messages, and as for mp3s; how much effort is it to drag a portable stereo into your kitchen?! If you think about it, apart from storing food, the SPV can do everything the internet fridge can do, but for £100, and you don't need 5 people to transport it!

For £8000 I could buy a massive fridge (£2000), a plasma screen (~£2000), a very nice laptop (another £2000), a pretty darn good Hi Fi (say £1990), leaving me £10 for a towel and some soap so I can wash the food off my hands before I use them in the kitchen! :)

Just becuase you can doesn't mean you should.

Guest Syvwlch

I remember seeing one of these in a lab a coupla years ago.

I believe the rationale was that it would replace the bits of papers, postit notes and pictures that people (particularly Americans) put on their fridges.

Seemed rather daft to me, as paper seemed to work well, but i guess the idea was to use it as a sort of common communication platform for the family (who don't necessarily meet but all pass by the fridge).

This is very much a cultural thing. Don't think it'd make much sense in France. We have a very different relation to our fridges :)