.mid Files, Compatability Problems

Guest neuronisis

Guest neuronisis

I've had the SPV a couple of days now and love the phone. However i liked the idea of having Midi and Wav files as ring tones. I can use wav files with no problems but when it comes to midi files....what a headache. I have phoned the Orange help line many times and they still can not help me to resolve this problem.

I have downloaded all sorts of midi files, short, long, small/large files sizes etc etc but still no joy. Orange even suggested making sure the title of the midi file has a capital letter at the start!!! Still nothing.

Now i have copied a midi file from the phone, played it on the PC and then transfered it back. That plays.

What i have noticed with the midi ring tones on the phone is that they are all the same file size 16b, i even tried downloading midi's that were the same size, still nothing.

The manual says the phone will only play .wav and .mid, i think they are not aware or haven't divulged the fact that there are compatibility issues with midi files of some kind.

I am at a complete loss with this, i have tried everything i can think of. I hope you guys can help or suggest something,

Cheers

Dan. :?: :D

Guest Paul [MVP]

How about this for lame: the SPV CANNOT play polyphonic MID files. Really naff, and I was quite gutted about this.

However, you could download a utility to convert MID to WAV, and do it that way? A waste of space I know, but it works.

P

Guest neuronisis

Cheers for your help. Shame about that. I have already done some mp3 to wav, which are ok. I just can't help thinking that midi would have been ideal, small file size and plenty of then to download. Sigh.........never mind

I'll think i'll play around with the video, i.e. windows encoder,

cheers

Dan :D

Guest ross20uk

Hi All!

I have had real problems getting WAV files to work as ringtones.

I have dumped the WAV files on the 'Sounds' folder in 'Application Data', as per the microsoft website.

When i go to select that ringtone, the phone recognises the name of the file and lists it as an option, but when u select it, it plays one of the other default MID files.

I have copied my WAV file back to my PC and played it................and it somehow seems to have been converted to one of the default ringtones! i am getting kinda frustrated now!!!!

can anyone help me???

Thanks!!!

Guest dodgybob

The alternative to converting to Wav is to use Type 0 MIDI files... any standard MIDI software/synth will allow you to convert {save as} "MIDI 0". This is Single Channelled Polyphonic MIDI...

Most ppl get the interpretation of polyphonic wrong:

...Imagine playing an electronic keyboard... If you can press more than one key of the same sound at any one time.. Thats called polyphonic MIDI.

... If you were to use two different keyboards to play two different sounds at the same time (e.g. Piano, Flute) Then this would be called Multi Channelled MIDI...

So the method I described above is a way of getting Polyphony but without Multi-Channels.

{btw... I might be correct I havn't done this MIDI stuff in a long time... correct me if im wrong}