Guest muff

Guest Coolboy1982

is it possible though to make the highscores stay permanetly saved on the

phone? cause now whenever the game is closed and restarted it reverts back

to 0.

is it possible though to make the highscores stay permanetly saved on the

phone? cause now whenever the game is closed and restarted it reverts back  

to 0.

the obvious answer here is to never quit the game :)

but seriously,

I may add this in the future, for the moment I just want to make sure the game itself is solid, and there are no bugs before I add features that I would call 'nice to have'

thanks for the feedback

muff

Guest PhilA

This takes me back a bit! Absolutely awesome - if ever you needed a reason to decert, this has got to be it. Well done muff, and very impressive coding speed :)

Version 0.05 now out

spotted a bug that meant the fruit wasn't being shown in the statusbar area on the latest build

hopefully that's the last bug

Guest Flash

Muff, you're a star! Have been playing [version 0.05] for the last hour, and have suffered no problems :-)

I would welcome a high score that was saved (only when you feel the game is bug free of course :wink: )

Guest fumaras

Great work muff :) .

Thanks for this version of Pacman on SPV :wink: ;)

I just see a little prob with sound in V0.05(a ???) :

if you loose and restart a new game (with central button) or if you complete a level sometimes the sound is the ghost sound, not the normal sound (but if you catch a flashing point the game sound return to normal after few second...)

Guest adrianfox

Thanks very much for this, superb.

If you don't mind some constructive critisism, i think there is something not quite right with the controls.

Up until your version, I was using the version on SmartNes and that seems easier to control somehow. i.e. I don't seem to get "stuck" on corners with it as much. Sorry I can't be more specific.

One bug I noticed is that if you finish the level with the ghosts active, the next level carries on with the ghost sound effect.

Anyway once again, thanks and a superb effort.

Guest Coolboy1982

wow, so I am not the only person who thinks that his fingers are too big for the joystick! good that I suggested the mapping of the numberpad (first I thought it was just a stupid idea of mine)

hi all

I agree that the controls aren't perfect. I did look at this quickly whilst doing one the last updates, and found that windows doesn't always receive the keyup/keydown messages from the pad, and so whilst the new code I wrote was better in concept, it was more prone to errors that caused the pacman to want to walk in a particular direction even when the pad wasn't being touched.

I'm going to look at it again now most of the game bugs are out.

As for the sound bug, I thought I'd fixed it in the latest version (0.05), but I will re-investigate it now that it's been reported in that version as well

muff

Guest Gorskar

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but in power pill mode when a ghost comes out of the pen it is not blue (or blue flashing). It can still be eaten though.

Another point - when you get to the watermelon level the white ghost is insanely fast - it can run you down in no time, even though it seems you are quite a bit faster than the other ghosts.

I've also noticed that the orange ghost seems to be intent on following you whatever, whilst the other ghosts are a somewhat more random. This is merely an observation, not suggesting a bug here.

Great work anyway, its a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but in power pill mode when a ghost comes out of the pen it is not blue (or blue flashing). It can still be eaten though.

Another point - when you get to the watermelon level the white ghost is insanely fast - it can run you down in no time, even though it seems you are quite a bit faster than the other ghosts.

I've also noticed that the orange ghost seems to be intent on following you whatever, whilst the other ghosts are a somewhat more random. This is merely an observation, not suggesting a bug here.

Great work anyway, its a lot of fun.

thanks for the report Gorskar

you can indeed eat respawned ghosts whilst within the power pill timer - this is a silly bug on my part - I've fixed it for next release

the white ghost (well pink actually) is called speedy so I gave him a speed increase over the other ghosts + the player - obviously in the later levels this is silly, I'll fix in the next release

and yes the orange ghost is intent on following you - but he does move slower than you do, so if you make perfect turns you can lose him :)

at this point the ghost logic is not what I would consider final, merely 'being tested' - for the most part it's not too bad, but like you suggest there should be more variation

I've even toyed with the idea of making ghost hunt you as a squad, using proper tactics, and slow them right down to give you a fighting chance - but that's just a wild idea at the moment

muff

Version 0.06a is now up

- should fix the powerpill sound loop bug

- fixes the bug that allowed you to eat respwned ghosts if the powerpill timer was still running

for the next version you'll have to wait a day or so (unless any showstopper bugs are found) so that I can look at the controls properly and investigate storing the scores

oh and also so I can get some work done :)

muff

Fumaras:

I sometimes get a little lag as well

It appears that the phone is doing some background tasks sometimes that cause this

nothing in the game code has changed to cause this - honest

muff

Guest Charlie Mouse

This is absolutely amazing! Just what this phone needed!

Finish work on Friday, come on Monday morning and all this has happened, damned fine job!!!!

Just downloaded the latest version and everything seems about perfect now, but I would make a suggestion for the controls. On the original arcade machine whilst Pacman was moving left you could push up. He would keep moving left until it was possible to move up. In this way you could 'preset' him to turn at the next junction rather than having to press the direction key at exactly the right time. Dont know whether this is possible or not in your version but would add to the playability.

Also, the addition of being able to use the keypad was a stroke of genius!!!!

I can now remove all other games from my phone as they wont be needed anymore :) Cant wait for the next version, keep up the good work.

Guest adrianfox
if you use the number keys (see read me with download) it is much easier to control than by using the joypad.

davy.

I know but I prefer using the joystick.

I can use the joystick quite happily with Pacman on SmartNES, so there must be something not quite right.

Guest midnight

yeh, its cos, like charlie mouse said, in the arcade/nes versions, you could press a direction before you got to the junction and then pacman would automatically go the way you pressed, it meant you never missed a junction that you wnated to go down, made the control a lot easier than what it is currently, but i have no doubt muff will fix this :wink:

If you just hold down the button of which direction you want to go you will never get stuck in a corner... Just hold it down - don't press it, hold i down... :)

//imp

Guest adrianfox

Muff

If you are using windows messages for key presses, it explains the problems I am seeing.

I think it is more reliable to use GetAsyncKeyState() to poll the state of the keys within your game loop.

Guest geovass

Very very good job !!!

SPV+PACMANSPV=Love for ever !!

The only minor bug that i have found is regarding controlls... It usualy stucks when making turns.... :) ;) :D :(