URGENT: File Recovery :(

Guest madu

I have just erased something I have been working on for a year [me=st00pid], anyway I know there are plenty of recovery apps but most of them commercial and I have a tool at home that is freeware, but it doesn't wait that long :)

Does anyone know of a free file recovery / undelete tool. Or the shareware option that is limited to 1(x) files only. The ones i found were upto 64k max. The other one did not work. undelete.exe v5 included with msdos won't work either.

I'm on WINDOWS'95 (yes it's sht!)

I'm in agony! HELP!

Guest mores

just be glad you didnt OVERWRITE the final version with the first draft; there's no recovery after overwriting a file.

my girlfriend found that out the hard way.

Guest ClintEastman

Depending on the type of file there might be a temp copy stored away somewhere.

Office is a good one for that, saved me hours of time in the past! :)

Well the story goes:

Got to work today thinking it is ALL GOOD! :)

It was in fact all good - I am leaving my job on Friday after a long year's work..

So 'good' me thought: "Why don't you clean up all that IT mess you've made in this time..."

Good idea I thought.. So I did (bad me)... Deleted all the large emails w/ attachments, cleared all the temporary files, temp email files, sent emails, all the backups and other random crap.. including inet files.

GREAT! (I thought) Let's go out and play now...

[phone ringing....]

Hello, we wanna spk to you about your project... - they said

Cool! - I thought,

Come up - I said

[they get here, bla bla bla, a little conversation]

And now let me give you a little overview - I said

[me checks....and again... and once more.. ->> NO FILE :shock: ]

Restored it using some util now, but XL won't open ;) Size is similar, all seems good. I even tried not to overwrite any clusters taken by file, but looking for stuff on the inet f****d it i guess... I am now considering suicide...

Guest vijay555

if it's an office email system, shouldnt' it be archived automatically?

otherwise you could try reconstructing from the data itself, depending on size and integrity of the original data.

V

Guest benzo

I've had to deal with plenty of corrupt xl files.

A work around that works a treat is to open the xl file in MS word. Open a word document and insert file... pick your corrupt file and it'll open it as a table with the data. Formatting is screwed but you have all the data there that you can copy and paste into a new xl file.

Hope that helps.

The thing is - it's heavily loaded with Visual Basic, so I will try and find that backup I must ave emailed to myself @home - will be a little outdated, but dammit!!

Thanks all for replies!!

I have found a backup (a lil out of date), even though restoring was more of a lucrative idea :)

Now to remember what changes I made.... 8)

A suggestion for the future - I use http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat/Ec_Main.entry24?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=551728&xid=27685&search_id=501221980&doc_id=1&DSP=&CUR=826&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0>Go Back Deluxe, which is designed to get you out of system problems but can save you when you delete something you shouldn't have!

It also has a great feature where you can recover previous versions of a file (to recover something that you have overwritten).

It's not free, and is not as bomb proof as a propper backup, but it has saved my a$$ on quite a few occaisions.

Guest fraser

Very important note about file recovery!!

Do NOT use the computer anymore after you delete the file. When a file is deleted, it's simply marked as deleted in the file allocation table, but the data is still there.

If you carry on using the computer, there is a chance that a new file (or growing file like a log file) will write itself to the old data areas. At this point you are screwed, as all the recovery software does is recreate the file entries in the directory.

So, the most important thing is to not use the computer after the loss. Even installing recovery software can overwrite the data. Catch-22.

Guest Rob.P

Would plugging a laptop into the computer in question and mapping the drive be okay or would it write data? (Curious in case it happens to me again)

put recovery app on a floppy, but it usually depends what sectors your file resided in and where your system files (ie page file) are that change during normal usage

i installed recovery tools to my network drive @ work, but browsing the net for recovery tools did use C: drive :) that's where i fkd up i guess, even though i knew i shouldn't do, but that was the only option

Guest siu99spj
Useless on an XP box though ;p

Err why? I have several programs based in 98 to help me recover my thrashed XP NTFS drive. I also have stuff that lets me read my NTFS partitions as though they were FAT, just can't write. Whats more is that it's free!!!! (Here's the link if you're interested)

• 2 years later...