The BIG Planus Announcement

Guest asif @ planus

Guest asif @ planus

Hello Everyone,

As Many of you may know, I have been away recently, and I am aware many of you have been wondering about the future of Planus. It gives me great pleasure to announce that Planus has totally reformed. With a new SMS Gateway, a WHOLE NEW User interface, and with much more stability.

Planus will from now on be known as : Brandt&Reda, and will launch tomorrow.

You can see our pre-launch website at www.brandtandreda.com

Brandt&Reda has a new way of signing up, explained below:

1. You sign up online

2. We send you a validation code IN THE POST

3. You enter this code, and your account is activated.

The greatest thing about Brandt&Reda though, is the Billing Sytem. You do not need to prepay, instead, you are sent a bill, via the post, on the 27th of every month, which will show you how many messages you have sent, and how much you need to pay. You will also be told how much you have donated to charity in that month (see below). You will get seven days to pay this, and a number of ways will be available (PayPal, Cash, NatWest FastPay, NoChex, etc). Messages are charged at 5p per message

Please also note that you must spend at least £2 per month with the service. This is to cover maintenance costs, and other fees involved. So, if you send 40 Messages per month, you need not pay extra, however, if you send just 35 messages per month, you will still be charged £2. So, make sure you send 40 or more!

Promotions

We have two new promotions becuase of the launch, and I have quoted them both from our website below:

Brandt&Reda have decided that until December 12th 2003, 0.2pence from every message sent will go into the Brandt&Reda fund, where it will be kept until December 12th. On that day, it will be sent to the most voted charity (the vote will be held in early december). This means that 0.2p from EVERY Message you send upto that date will go to charity! So get sending, and let someone have a better Christmas this year.

Also....

As a launch promotion, Brandt&Reda are giving away one 15Gb Apple iPod to the user that sends the most messages from the dates of 27th July to the 27th August. The winning user will be taken to a top london department store to collect their gift, and select any accessories they may want for their new device. Remember, that the to and from dates are the same regardless of your billing date, so register quickly if you haven't yet!

More info on the iPod promotion can be found at http://www.brandtandreda.com/ipod.mcc).

An updated SPV Application for Brandt&Reda will be released in the next few days, with PC & P800 Applications being released in the next few weeks

Other Info:

1. Modaco Mail will be returning tomorrow

2. Amarjit Chohan has won the XBOX from the previous retroHOST competition

If anyone has any questions regarding the service, I do request that you post them in this thread. If you have personal questions for me, I request that you PM them to me.

Kind Regards

Asif Alibhai

Guest fozzie

This looks promising (apart from the price rise!) :) I don't like paying Orange full whack for SMS.

A few questions for you Asif.

1. Will there be any way of checking how many messages have been sent that month?

2. Will the SPV app work in a similar vein to the Planus app. i.e. integrated with Contacts (although hopefully not needing a work around to actually select the contact)? Will the app have a character counter?

3. Does the service support multi part messages and if so, to how many characters? Will the SPV app also support multi-part messages?

4. Will the service provide delivery receipts and if so, what form do they take?

I suppose you're going to say wait until tomorrow but any information you can give out now would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. BTW, what time tomorrow do you launch :wink:

Guest Firaas

Hm.

Interesting rethinking of the Planus idea after what happened earlier.

I think there are several flaws with the new idea, but this isn't a topic for ranting, and so I'll keep to questions...

As you're offering credit, I assume the service won't be available to those under the age of 18? Also, what about high spenders - will they be credit checked?

Also, any assurance that the service won't go titsup.com again?

Guest asif @ planus

Hi,

I've put up a sample messaging page, http://www.brandtandreda.com/test.mcc

Excuse me if you get any script errors, I only put it together a moment ago. Messaging will be free until Midnight, for you to test it.

Firaas: I shall PM you in a moment.

Fozzie:

1. Yes, there is a billing area which tells you how much you have spent this month.

2.Yes, It will indeed be very similar, but we will be talking to users to get various suggestions for the new app.

3. We are talking with Our gateway at the moment to see how messages longer than 160 characters can be handled. The service will, however, initially launch with 160 character support only.

4. We are confident the new service will not require delivery reports, and to check this, you can use the URL given above. However, for users who think it is a must, we can negotiate this.

Regards

Asif

Guest asif @ planus

Hehe, D'oh - I knew there would be something I did wrong! Thankfully, for you people, I did not program the actual system, so it's not buggy like my attempt!

Asif

Guest asif @ planus

I believe the test system at www.brandtandreda.com/test.mcc is now working

Sorry it doesn't look pretty, but I have to dash ;).

Take it while its free :)

Asif

Guest fozzie

Thanks Asif.

I've put up a sample messaging page, http://www.brandtandreda.com/test.mcc

Excuse me if you get any script errors

I take it you're still fiddling, although I managed to get one message off before the scripts disappeared :D

1. Yes, there is a billing area which tells you how much you have spent this month.
Good :)

2.Yes, It will indeed be very similar, but we will be talking to users to get various suggestions for the new app.

One of the features of the Planus app I liked was the way it saved a copy of sent messages into the 'sent' folder of the SPVs messaging app. It would be good to keep this feature.

It would be useful if it/the service provider/gateway supported the Sender's ID in the +XX format instead of just XX so that receipients are able to reply directly to messages. (With Planus, when I sent messages abroad with my number as XX without the +, the receipient couldn't just hit reply - they had to then edit the number before sending, to add the + in).

3. We are talking with Our gateway at the moment to see how messages longer than 160 characters can be handled. The service will, however, initially launch with 160 character support only.
Fingers crossed then.

4. We are confident the new service will not require delivery reports, and to check this, you can use the URL given above. However, for users who think it is a must, we can negotiate this.

I'm sure that the service will deliver the messages but delivery receipts are really useful when you need to communicate with people that often have their phones switched off - possibly because of where they work etc. If you send them a message when it is off, you get a nice little message receipt back once their phone is back on and so know that you can then phone them ;) That's why I like delivery receipts.

Guest asif @ planus

Hi,

Apologies about the Unavailability of the script - I've discovered I am pretty much useless at PHP :). I will try and get it online within the next 10 mins or so, and leave it online for a bit longer than midnight.

Thanks

Asif

Guest ben_341

Hi,

Its Friday the 25th and I still can't re-join, and I'm going away for the weekend in about an hour!

I presume that when I sign up to the new service my account will be credited with exactly the number of messages I have left from before? (I don't remember exactly how many were left, probably 300 or so) rather than just giving me the £11 or so worth of credits at the new price, (220) as I purchased the large amount on the understanding that I'd get that number of messages and not that amount of money's worth of messages.

Also I presume that I won't be charged £2 within each month if I havn't used up credits that I've already purchased?

Please clarify these issues as it concernes me that I may have to pay more money before my remaining messages are used. After that time I'm quite happy to continue using the service with the new terms.

Regards,

Ben

Guest asif @ planus

Hi,

Apologies for the delay, we are just waiting for some last minute DNS changes to go through.

Ben & all other existing Planus users, you will get the SAME NUMBER of SMS credits added to your account.

We have put a form in the members area of the new site, which allows you to request to have your credits moved over.

Also, after talking with a number of users, we have realised that 95% of the users would prefer to pre-pay, for both the security of themselves, and for the service. We have therefore decided that:

ALL MESSAGES MUST BE PREPAID, AND THERE WILL NO LONGER BE A £2/MONTHLY MINIMUM. AT THE MOMENT, CREDITS ARE INSTANTLY ADDED VIA PAYPAL, HOWEVER, IN THE COMING FEW WEEKS, THERE WILL BE A FREEPHONE NUMBER YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CALL, TO PURCHASE CREDITS WITH YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD. ALSO, AS WE DO NOT NEED INCREASED SECURITY FOR PREPAYMENTS, YOUR VALIDATION CODE WILL BE SENT VIA SMS.

Once again, sorry for the delay, but we are still on for today.

Guest asif @ planus

Rob. P - Please see my above post. As we will be changing to a pre-paid service, there will be no need for credit checks, and under 18's will be able to join.

Regards

Asif

Guest asif @ planus

Hey Amo,

You can have the £££ instead if you want. Just PM the URL of where you want to buy it from, and the two games and their respective URL's.

Thanks

Asif