Smart GPRS Manila down?

Guest niacin65

Guest niacin65

Anyone else notice no "G" symbol on their phones this morning? I am in the Malate area and there seems to be no GPRS, or is it me?

Guest virgil
It's back on now three hours after I called Smart and reported it. I guess they have "cell sites" for GPRS too?

maybe they do ,maybe the GPRS signal may just have been interrupted by the weather at that time (typhoon,calamity) or plainly for some technical (elctrical,mechanical etc..) stuff should have been the culprit.

well, you've the done right thing --- :wink: to report it right away with the NETWORK provider.

I do check my signal every now and then , & i DO report it right away when there is none :idea: ---i think the CSR's of SMART are tired of my calling them on my observations---harharhar :) ;) :D :D

Guest niacin65

I know what you mean about calling. I think that Smart and PLDT should pay endusers for our tech support as we ar the first to know if they have system problems...(I will keep dreaming). LOL

Guest virgil
I know what you mean about calling. I think that Smart and PLDT should pay endusers for our tech support as we ar the first to know if they have system problems...(I will keep dreaming). LOL

right, compensation would be fine by me-- but thers's no other reason of providing solutions-tech support (temporary)--other than vigilance,voluntarism & public concern .

VOTE Virgil :idea: :idea: for SENATOR!!!!! :) ;) :D

Guest grifter

As far as I know, GPRS rides on the GSM signal, therefore, the same cellsite that serves GSM signals also has provisions for GPRS.

Guest mariolouis

if it is on the same "signal", why do i sometimes have no signal for gprs but at least 3 bars for gsm? does it follow that gprs signal is independent with gsm because it is weaker?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest virgil
if it is on the same "signal", why do i sometimes have no signal for gprs but at least 3 bars for gsm? does it follow that gprs signal is independent with gsm because it is weaker?

i think signal for GPRS/GSM are separate from one another. :?: :?:

Guest grifter

GSM is the carrier signal for GPRS. You can have GSM signal without GPRS but not the other way around.

Since GPRS rides on GSM, you don't have a GPRS signal meter. All you have is an indicator if GPRS is available or not. IF GPRS were a different signal, you'd have another signal meter for it.

Sometimes you'll lose GPRS access for the ff possible reasons:

1. the cellsite that's serving you at your location don't have GPRS capability.

2. the cellsite supports GPRS but is currently experiencing technical difficulties (GPRS 'module' is faulty, etc.)

3. your telco just rebooted the GPRS 'module' or doing some maintenance on it.

I got these answers from our colleague in GLOBE. So, if there is anything wrong... hehehe... :)

cheers!