SPV Exchange 2003 Sync Issue

Guest frammo

Guest frammo

I had Exchange 2003 working brilliantly with the SPV and then dropped the phone and had to have it repaired and lost all the settings made. I found a registry change that disabled the SPV from checking the SSL certificate on the server, but cannot find the website or post which told me how to do this, does anyone know which Registry entry will do this on the SPV.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Paul [MVP]

You need to disable Cert checking on 2002 if you are getting an SSL error, which is the most common problem.

To do that, used the attached CAB (cheers RichieM for cabbin' it up!). This disables cert checking, but still sends everything encrypted.

P

AirSync.CAB

"]Just for the record, I'm running an Exchange Server, and syncing just fine between E2k3 and Smartphone 2002, and the 2003 emulator.

P

Hi Paul any chance of a step by step idiots guide to doing it.. Orange aren't much help :)

O.k. :)

I think one of the issue i have is the fact i have to connect to the HttpS port and not the http port of exchnage 2003 for it to sync?

I also have to disable cert checking?

:(

Guest Paul [MVP]

Yeah.

On your phone, all you need to do is enter all the relevant details, username, password, domain, server (e.g. modaco.com) and that's about it.

Run the CAB that is in this thread to disable cert checking, ensure you have selected some content types, and hit 'SYNC'.

If it errors, let me know what the error says.

:)

P

Sorry to be a bit of a wally but i am a virgin to the spv... How do i install the .cab ? is it server side or spv side? If spv side how do i install?

Thnaks... Sorry to bother :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

Ah, OK :)

To run the CAB, your phone must be application unlocked!

Fire up windows explorer on your PC, dock your SPV, and copy the cab to Mobile Device > IPSM > Windows > Start Menu > Accessories.

Then undock your phone, and select Start > Accessories, and you'll see the CAB, simply click it to run.

P

Guest urdone311

How does an exchange server work?

Do you have to run your mail server on the same machine as the Exchange server?

The reason i'm asking is because I know the capabilities of Exchange, but my email account is on a webhost server that i pay monthly for. I want to be able to sync with an exchange server for when i'm on the road...

If i build a PC and put exchange on it, will it connect to my remote POP3 mail server?

as in, is it 3 machines total?:

my home pc/smartphone > exchange server pc > remote server/host

or is it supposed to be 2:

my home pc/smartphone > exchange server PC running my mail accounts

Guest Paul [MVP]

The Exchange server IS your mail server. You can set up Exchange to retrieve POP, but it's not idea.

In an ideal world you have a server on the web, and the MX record for your domain points to the Exchange server, so the Exchange server receives all your mail directly.

You then run a mail client (ideally Outlook, ideally Outlook 2003!) to pick up your mail.

Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 is quite simply a joy!

P

"]Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 is quite simply a joy!

P

i totally agree.... :)

Thanks for your help Paul. My phone is application unlocked so i'm gonna be busy to tomorro hehe

:(

Guest urdone311

Thanks for clearing that up. Do you run your own servers or did you select a host that had exchange 2003 on it? (err.. u probly have a dedicated host)..

I am building a server like I said, and I plan on the OS to be running Windows Server 2003, does exchange install ON TOP of that OS? As in, do i install exchange onto windows server 2003?

Sorry if i'm going somewhat off-topic, but it IS related to smartphone as this is how i want to sync from now on.....since i have Office 2003 :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

There's no support for public folders on Smartphone as far as i'm aware, although they may be exposed in OMA, I couldn't say, as I'm not really using them yet.

You don't need a VPN at all for anything, which is one of the big improvements in Exchange 2003.

For outlook you can use RPC over HTTP, which works exceptionally well, to tunnel to your server, and Outlook Web Access, Outlook Mobile Access and Server Activesync use a standard HTTP connection with optional - advised - SSL.

You can of course also connect by POP or IMAP for mail, but it's the least preferred option.

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest chucky.egg
"]There's no support for public folders on Smartphone as far as i'm aware

I thought the "lack" of Public Folders access was a limitation of ActiveSync, not the phone.

I just want to sync my Team calendar (Public Folder) with my SPV calendar.