WARNING !! no free internet with free email promotion

Guest Stealth

Guest Stealth

I phoned orange yesturday re free 3 months email offer and had it set up, the chap from orange told me that I could surf net using gprs with offer, BUT ...

after ringing 156 today to confirm that the free email promotion was set up on my account, the lady from orange told me that it was, but also WARNED me that the offer was strictly for email ( using spv email and not gprs ?!?) and she also said that if I used the internet I would be charged for it.

i'm a bit confused and dare not use the gprs internet in case of a hefty bill at the end of the month.

Has any one else signed up for the email promotion and what were you told regarding using the internet with the offer. :roll:

but my email could be hotmail??

I don't see they have anything in place to differentiate between email and web browsing.. and the certainly never told me this..

Will

Guest fozzie

Yes, me and my partner have both been on it for 2 months. It doesn't matter what Orange tell you. What matters is what you are billed for. And no, we haven't been billed for any GPRS useage :)

Think you need to delete the 'no' from this thread's subject :o

Guest Stealth

I asked the lady from orange whether I could use hotmail, she told me I couldnt and that the email with the promotion was the email utility in the spv? like when u send mms etc.... and that she would send a text update to set that up on my phone, I wasnt quite sure what she was on about, but she made it clear that I couldnt use internet for free with the promotion.

Guest Stealth

Thanks for the reply Fozzie, typical of ocs to try to fob u off with bull, I will be using it know, and await my next bill. :wink:

Guest martin

The 'mobile email promotion' gives free use of orangeinternet so this will give free access to e-mail, internet, messenger, WAP.

The open access (WAP) promotion only gives free use of orangewap.

There is no doubt that the E-mail promotion includes EVERYTHING but i would probably give 156 one last call just to make sure that you have definately been put on the mobile E-mail promotion (it sounds like you have).

It seems lthis girl was the one who was confused :roll:

Guest lucky

Hiya

I asked elsewhere what happens if you go over the 30mb, and was informed that you would be charged at £3/mb.

For those that have recieved their bills can you confirm what you have been billed for.

*/ Waiting in nervous anticipation, this could really hurt /*

Guest fozzie

Never been over BUT don't recall anything at all in the T&Cs about charging. Just that they reserve the right to tell you off first and then boot you off the promo after that.

More ill-informed speculation I suspect.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Brody

I rang 156 and got put on the Email promo, they said I could only go on it if i was taken off the gprs bundle so it must replace all gprs and not just email! I would change the name of this topic if it was mine! :)

Guest Simon Desser

I thought the 3 month email promotion was using your phone as a modem, connected to a laptop or PDA, using one of a small amount of "approved" providers :?:

Am I getting confused, or mixing it up with another promotion :? :?:

Guest StoutMan

Just spoke to 156 and what the package is this:

It allow's 30 mb per month for 3 months for FREE yes FREE!

It use's the GRPS system and is for Business customers only, but you can have it added to your account.

I asked for the Lady's name and extension number just in case and wrote down the time and date , but it sounds to good to be true.

The difference between the orginal offer for the spv (£6 per month unlimted use)and this offer is that it's aimed at business user's and not the general public.

Yepee !!!!!!

get browsing guys and gals

:) :o :P :( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest markd66

No, it's the same thing. Really, it is. Honest. :)

Essentially the ME trial is 30Mb-a-months-worth of access to the orangeinternet GPRS APN. IF you happen to use one of the "approved" providers, O have some automated setup routines that allow you to register for the trial through their website.

If you don't use one of those ISPs (is beeb.net still going?) then you can still get the trial by calling 156.

If you exceed the 30Mb, O reserve the right to call you names and kick you off the trial. I can't recall anything in the T&Cs about charging if you overuse it, but don't take my word for it.

Cheers, Mark

Guest FragMeister

Be careful.

I have just tried to setup the "free email GPRS promo" via their website. I use tiscali, among others, and the automatic configuration that was sent to my phone made a new Dial-Up connection - to my ISP's 0845 number. It changed the "Internet" setting under Data Connections in Settings to use the new connection.

This meant that it was dialling up rather than using GPRS, so it would be charging me for the time that it was connected.

I was worried by this and contacted 156, who said that the "internet" connection should be Orange GPRS, as it was before the settings were updated.

He also confirmed that until the end of October, I not only have free email, but any other data over GRPS, including web and wap.

If you use the "setup my phone" option, be aware and check your Data Connection settings in Settings, to ensure that it is using Orange GPRS.

Be quick, cos this ends today...

Guest JoelRae

Hi guys,

I just set this promotion up on my phone by calling 156 ... having read this thread I knew what sort of questions to ask :wink:

Can we use any e-mail provider we want? "Yes"

Has this replaced my PAYG GPRS package? "Yes"

So all my GPRS usage will be through this promotion? "Yes"

... and therefore free? "Yes"

But there's a limit? "Yes - 30mb"

And if I use more than that I get shafted? "Yes - you get charged, although someone will contact you if you're nearing the limit"

Anything else? "Yes - ring us back at the end of October to get us to put your original GPRS package back on"

Also, she (Katie, FYO :wink:) said that Orange would be able to tell it was her I spoke to from my file, in response to me asking for a phone number etc.

Hope this helps / reassures :)

Joel

Guest fozzie
I thought the 3 month email promotion was using your phone as a modem, connected to a laptop or PDA, using one of a small amount of "approved" providers :?: 

Am I getting confused, or mixing it up with another promotion :?  :?:

Same Promotion :)

I believe that is what Orange were thinking about when they set up the promotion. They just forgot that they'd released a Smartphone that could make 'better' use of the promotion :o

There is absolutely no need to get anything setup from the Orange website. Just get the Promo put on by 156 and continue to use the SPV as before. Nothing changes (apart from of course not having to pay £6 for the next three months and tripling the useage cap!). If your email worked before it will continue to work after. There's no SIM updates or anything like that.

Guest fozzie

Yes that is a SIM update. However, if you are already on a GPRS tariff then you will not get a SIM update - it is just a billing change. The only time you'll get a SIM update is if you previously did not have GPRS enabled.

Guest JoelRae

Oh, okay ... I was told this by the guy I phoned up afterwards from the billing dept to check the package had been put on my account. All he could see was "changes pending" so it probably wasn't clear whether GPRS was enabled or not :roll:

Guest fozzie

But still, you had it activated so I'm pretty sure that this is just a billing change for you and so I wouldn't expect you to get a SIM update. The SIM update is normally to enable the GPRS on your account (which you already have) and to setup the GPRS details on the SPV (which again, presumeably you have because you were already set up for GPRS).

I would expect that any GPRS data you use from now will be set against the Promo tariff.

Guest JoelRae

Yeah, I agree, although he did say the change was still pending so I'll probably wait and phone again tomorrow just to make sure the package is in effect :wink:

Guest Rob.P

So has the period to get on the promotion finished?

I phoned up yesterday about it and the lady on 156 was trying to put me on the WAP offer and she didn't seem to understand what I was after.

If the sign-up period has finished then I might phone up and complain to get it today.