newbie here with a few questions

Guest KOOPS

Guest KOOPS

hi peeps,

i just got my sap three days ago. and i've been surfing the net for hours at a time just to learn about my sap (coz the manual sucks.. :) ). i've gained a bit of knowledge and have gone through installing stuff with relative ease.

i however, have a few q's for the more experienced users here...

1. is it just me or does the sap really not have the special characters i was used to from my old nokias and ericssons? special characters like this... (ñ) and the u with an umlaut (the smiley)?

2. the manual says the sap can take either SD cards or MMC's... what's the difference between the two? which one do i get? i'm thinking of getting around 128mb more storage but i don't know which card to get. any help would be appreciated. plus, around how much is a reasonable price for these things?

3. when i surf or use action update, the phone goes to gprs mode. how do i turn it off (gprs) or does the phone do that automatically? i got accustomed to turning it off manually with my ericsson r600 kasi eh.

4. lastly, have you guys ever experienced hangage on these things? y'know, things just freezin' up and.... well, just staying frozen? it's happened to me once... (three day old unit.. wild.. :? )

anyway, that's it for now... i'm really glad there's the lot of you who've been tweakin' the hell out of these gadgets... mabuhay kayo! :o

thanks in advance for helping a noob. :P

Guest dinoalbert

@koops, welcome to modaco! Have you tried doing the SEARCH? You'll find answers to your questions there. anyway...

for your 1st question, read here:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...der=asc&start=0

from mapaman:

here's how:

1. install Remote Display on your phone (instructions here : http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=54737)

2. get someone to send the Ü to your inbox

(if you text me at 0920-920-1071, I can send it to you)

3. run Remote Display, then bring up the message with the Ü onscreen

4. highlight the Ü by using the "shift" key (just like selecting it in MS-Word)

5. do a "copy" (control-C)

6. exit to the inbox, then do "menu"-"options"

7. select "predefined text"

8. select one of the slots to store your smiley in

9. erase the contents of the slot, then do a "paste" (control-V)

10. press "done" and that's it! you have a Ü to insert into your SMSs

Regarding SD/MMC, read these threads:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=62848

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=85997

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=86586

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=63048

Guest KOOPS

wow... thanks a load man... i appreciate your effort (i know it took some amount of time from your day to help me out).. thanks :)

with regard to the smiley.. yeah i kinda figured predefined text would be the way to go... but that idea with the remote disp is brilliant. :o

i just went ahead and made my smileys the old fashioned way anyway... like this: :(), :lol:(.. hahaha.. diy.

anyway, thanks for the lowdown man... as soon as i grab an sd (which is, accdg to the posts you pointed, better than an mmc) i'll go load up on mp3's since i'm a music freak.

cheers and more power!

i'll be hangin around here more often. hehe :P

Guest KOOPS

whoa... btw, pahabol question...

that thing with the speakerphone.. how does it work? .. i'm assuming you can only switch to speakerphone when a call is in progress? tama ba?

i mean, is there no automatic setting for it? set it on speakerphone and leave it as is so that when a call comes in it comes out through the speakerphone?

coz when i check on the speakerphone profile, the "select" option is grayed out.

Guest KOOPS

another question if you guys don't mind.

i can't seem to find where my recordings are located.... i got this app called amr converter that i'd really like to use... i want to be able to use the stuff i record as samples in my music...

hope you guys can help me out... thanks in advance. :)

cheers!

Guest mapaman
hi peeps,

4.  lastly, have you guys ever experienced hangage on these things? y'know, things just freezin' up and.... well,  just staying frozen?  it's happened to me once... (three day old unit.. wild..  :? )

anyway, that's it for now... i'm really glad there's the lot of you who've been tweakin' the hell out of these gadgets... mabuhay kayo! :)

thanks in advance for helping a noob. :o

in my experience, "Hanging" is usually caused by one of the three, so try each of these to check what happened:

A. your phone keypad is locked (you need to hold down the red hangup key for 2 seconds to lock it, but it's weird, sometimes it locks automatically!) ---

FIX: press the left soft key then the # key to unlock

B. there's a program that experienced an ABEND or abnormal end.

FIX: (you'll need a Task Manager for this). First, press the "home" key, then load "Programs" then run your TaskManager. You'll have to kill the program that hung, e.g. usually it's "tmail.exe".

C. the phone is busy doing something and you just have to wait for it to complete the task. ---

FIX: just wait! but if it's more than a minute, something may be wrong with your phone. be sure you upgrade to 1.5 ROM.

Cheers!

Guest grifter

i think the hanging problem you're having is caused by the tons of applications still running in the background that eat up valuable processor time and memory.

get QuickClose from www.monolithix.org. Assign QuickClose to a shorcut number for easier access.

I've been using QuickClose since I got my SAP and I've never experienced any hanging.

And yes, I'm still on 1.3.7.8

cheers!

Guest mariolouis

i have one question, how do you run an app (like task manager to close that "hung" program or quick close perhaps) when every key you push doesn't respond? something like taking off the battery is the only resort.

Guest spv_dman

What I did was to install an app called quickreset and assigned it to a speed dial. So whenever my phone "hangs", I just quickreset it. No need to remove battery.