So i bought a 3 phone...

Guest Monolithix

Guest casper508

Got my 'Out of Stock' mail as well. Now hoping that CPW or The Link will price match tomorrow. Anyone tried it in the North London area?

Cas

Haven't spotted anyone posting this yet, apologies if it's old news. I went

into a CPW today to try to get a price match but found that an email had

gone around all of the stores warning of the phone4u offer and not to match

it. The wording of the email seemed to be something along the lines of "why

on earth are we price matching a 28th rate website that doesn't even have

stock?".

WOW :shock:

My link went nationwide! :o

Shame i wasn't personally mentioned! :)

Guest Terrapin

Hey, that's my post from Usenet! Shame i wasn't personally mentioned! :wink:

I hadn't read anything on here when I posted that. Called up CPW in the morning "yeah, that's fine, bring in the print out and we'll match it". Turned up that evening after work and low and behold an email had gone round to the carphone warehouses (in london at least) warning of the price match. Managed to get a look at the email, it wasn't exactly singing phone4u's praises, quel surprise. Now I've managed to miss out on any of the free/£9.99 phones as I got the phone4u email last night too, not best pleased to say the least.

Is anywhere still doing them mail-order wise? Suppose what I actually wanted was an spv but I'm not getting one if the battery life is only a day. Hopefully by Christmas we'll have a 2 day version @200Mhz so that video can play smoothly above 8fps.

Guest Firaas
Has anyone managed to unlock an e808 yet? How much does it cost and where can it be done?

Cheers

Dan

£15 from Three direct plus a £100 penalty if you're still in 12 months

Guest karmapolice

Hi,

CPW in Barnet,North Finchley and Enfield will price match for £9.99...all I did was take in my SPV with the Jpegs of the website showed the guy and he said cool.

Bare in mind the phone is massive and a piece of sh*t really...but for 10 squids its ok.

Guest idavid

did anyone actually manage to get a e808 f4om phone4u? it really bugs me the way websites work. they get to offer a product for a price, you offer to buy it and hen they decide whether to sell it to you or not!

doubly annoyed as am holidayig in edinbu4gh without a laptop so looking for alternative is damn hard!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Firaas
did anyone actually manage to get a e808 f4om phone4u? it really bugs me the way websites work. they get to offer a product for a price, you offer to buy it and hen they decide whether to sell it to you or not!

I spoke to them this morning.

They were promised stock by Three for early this week. Yesterday they received a lot of complaining phonecalls saying no-one had received them, and so they were concerned about Three not getting the phones to them on time.

Three rang them later to say that their order had been shipped to a larger chain instead, and thus they now have no stock with which to fulfil net orders. They decided to cancel orders to avoid disappointment (!) and are still hoping to get some next week/week after.

Just spoken to a guy in the Three store in London. He said you cannot buy a sim card on its own. Neither can you change the registered owner. I wanted to sell one on ebay but if it can't be used why a re people buying them? I can't give them my sim card because I would have the ongoing liability.

Bloke in the shop asked me had I had the phone for a year. I wonder sometimes whether they deliberately employ people who are slightly stupid. The network didn't start until about 4 months ago. Bizarre.

Anyone know anything about this.

Cheers

Dan

Guest Terrapin
Hi,

CPW in Barnet,North Finchley and Enfield will price match for £9.99...all I did was take in my SPV with the Jpegs of the website showed the guy and he said cool.

Not since yesterday lunch time. If anyone can get them to match now I'd love to hear where, Barnet was my first point of call. Sodding email, should have gone the day before but didnt get off work until 5pm.

Guest Firaas

I've fallen for it :|

After hours of trying £10, £20 and £35 pricematches, I finally got the Carphone Warehouse to pricematch The Link in Cornwall which is doing it for £40.

He sounded a bit off about me being 330 miles away though, heh.

Guest The Futures Bright

Are 3 phones, or their service so bad they are almost giving the phones away for next to nothing? (Most of their phones are hidiously large) :shock:

I don't get it? :roll:

Now if Orange priced matched the 500 mins a month to any network for £25 that would be rather lovely. :)

Guest Firaas
Are 3 phones, or their service so bad they are almost giving the phones away for next to nothing? (Most phones are hidious)

I don't get it?  :roll:

Well, most of us who have ordered e808s would be very unlikely to get the phones if they were on a contract or at full price, so this is one way to coax us into getting Three, and upping their customer numbers. Most of us are likely to try out video calls etc as well, which generates revenue.

Also they want to clear out stock as they have a new batch of phones (E808y, A835 etc) coming in September.

Seems that it worked, there's a severe national stock shortage on all Three handsets except the e808y and A830.

Guest stevewright

Totally agree Firaas, but it doesn't explain why the new model (808y) is £40 on 3togo... Enticement to 3 maybe, but on a no line rental tariff, it can't be worth it.... You can't buy a 3310 for £40 on PAYG...

Guest Firaas
Totally agree Firaas, but it doesn't explain why the new model (808y) is £40 on 3togo... Enticement to 3 maybe, but on a no line rental tariff, it can't be worth it.... You can't buy a 3310 for £40 on PAYG...

The normal retailer phone price is around £150. The retailers get roughly this amount back which means they are able to sell the phones at a reasonable profit margin.

Three's spent £4.4billion on a 3g license for the UK, so it would be pointless if it can't up its customer numbers before the other networks begin getting 3g'ed up as customers would simply stay with the network operator they had.

The only way they can stop this from happening is by offering stupidly cheap deals - thus the high number of minutes per contract month and the cheap phones.

When OneStopPhoneShop gave the 3g phones away for free (plus about £5 delivery or £20 online), they received 2,000 orders in 2 hours. Phone4u have had about 800 orders and CPW have had a very high volume too. That's at least 3,000 extra customers that Three would have gained in the space of a week from just three retailers which it would not have gained at the £450 price!

Guest The Futures Bright

It says No WAP for that phone, does it have a browser for net access? or is that a mistake?

Surely a phone this size has web access and not just e-mail?

I think my SPV is looking better every day! :)

Guest Firaas
It says No WAP for that phone, does it have a browser for net access? or is that a mistake?  

Surely a phone this size has web access and not just e-mail?

I think my SPV is looking better every day! :)

It has net access but you can only browse the internet sites which Three let you browse - which means you can't browse the general internet.

Guest stevewright

Absolutely. I hadn't thought about what happens when one of the big four finally start 3G themselves.

3 still aren't gonna come anywhere close to their 1 mllion customers target. Not until they sort out (a) huge phones, (:) crap reception © dodgy cell crossovers.

Hmm. It seems to me that most people (at least on this site) have got a cheapy 3 phone, because it's a fantastic price for a digital camera with LCD screen, and MP3 player.

Hands up who thinks their monthly bill will be over £1?

Guest Firaas
Cheers for that  Firaas, well thats a bit naff i dont want it now! LOL  :)

Go on - a video calling phone for £40 with £30 of video calls - you know you want to :o