Copy Bootloader without using USBTerm

Guest elr

Guest kazen104
HOW TO COPY A BOOTLOADER FILE (.whx) TO SD: A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also download the PDF format of this guide here:

http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=90189

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do this? 

1. To have a copy of a specific version of a bootloader on a storage card for downgrade purposes. 

2. To have a spare bootloader on a storage card.

Note:

In your PC the bootloader backup comes in .whx file extension. Transferring the bootloader to a storage card is not as easy as 'Cut-Paste' or 'Copy-Paste'. 

What you need:

1. WinHex - a program that will encode/write the whx file in SD, in a format(HEX) recognized by the phone on boot (Canary); a full version is needed

2. WHX file - the bootloader backup in your PC

3. Spare SD - at least 8mb

4. Card reader/writer

5. PC

Procedures:

*Insert the SD card in a Card Reader and do the following: 

1) Start Winhex 

2) Choose "File" 

3) Choose "Load Backup" (and select the bootloader file/.whx file) 

4) Choose "Write sectors directly and immediately to the disk" 

5) Choose your SD Card Reader (instead of 'Hard disk 4' in the picture)

6) Select OK 

:idea: It should copy down the bootloader to your SD card.

:!: Finally, boot up your phone in canary mode with the new SD card (with the bootloader on it ) and it will install/load the new bootloader on your phone. :wink:

help please.. now my memory card was already written with bootloader 0.98, and is now, UNREADABLE by my PC. so i believe i made the right thing.. now when my phone boots up in canary, its still the same! canary v1.04.. please help!!! ;)(

i dont get it! i thought it will load up with my bootloader 0.98?? please help..

Sorry, I am a newbie here. I understand the SD card will be reformated if you want to get a copy of the bootloader, right? Could this SD card again be reformated after using the bootloader to its original format and be used again for storing other applications and how? :?:

sayang, i missed the EB. I'm dying to have my phone upgraded, i'm thinking of buying a card reader and experiment on making a bootloader.  worth it kaya? otherwise, would there be someone near qc (sm north edsa) who could load the bootloader to my phone (hehehe. baka sakali lang naman -- sagot ko 1 kape sa starbucks?)?  :)

if you still haven't gotten your bootloader, i can help you. just pm me. will be dropping by sm north several times next week.

who has a phone that has the bootloader .93 and smart 1.3.7.8? maybe we could follow will's advice so we could finally copy both ROM and bootloader in 1 MMC card.

Guest mlkanapi

According to Will,

Post subject: Re: Sept 18 EB-7:30pm at Melange -RECAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, at last i can catch up on what happened at the EB!

Just noticed you had issues with doing a backup all using usbterm, we've had this working in the UK.. and I might suggest you putting .93 UK bootloader on the Phone, the 'save ALL' option is very useful for on the move backups!

Any probs or more news, PM me or drop in on the IRC chat!!

Will

It seems that the 0.93 bootloader is his preferred bootloader as this has more options!

i'd like to make a memory card with a bootloader and an unlockable ROM such as smart's 1.3.7.8 in it. this way, we could flash the bootloader and ROM of a SAP with just one card and much faster than using the pc. it's how smart updates our ROM's in their wireless center. we couldn't do it with a pc and a usb term. maybe we could use the options available in bootloader version .93, any help or suggestions welcome.

Posted from my SmartPhone!i'd like to make a memory card with a bootloader and an unlockable ROM such as smart's 1.3.7.8 in it. this way, we could flash the bootloader and ROM of a SAP with just one card and much faster than using the pc. it's how smart updates our ROM's in their wireless center. we couldn't do it with a pc and a usb term. maybe we could use the options available in bootloader version .93, any help or suggestions welcome.

Posted from my SmartPhone!i'd like to make a memory card with a bootloader and an unlockable ROM such as smart's 1.3.7.8 in it. this way, we could flash the bootloader and ROM of a SAP with just one card and much faster than using the pc. it's how smart updates our ROM's in their wireless center. we couldn't do it with a pc and a usb term. maybe we could use the options available in bootloader version .93, any help or suggestions welcome.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest mlkanapi

@ rodnav,

I wonder how you can mix the 0.93 boothoader and the SAP_137. the format is different.

Maybe you can save and IPSM from a phone with a 0.93 bootloader and use this to flash a phone that you want to downgrade and unlock.

I'll try it sometime. Any ideas?

i'd like to make a memory card with a bootloader and an unlockable ROM such as smart's 1.3.7.8 in it. this way, we could flash the bootloader and ROM of a SAP with just one card and much faster than using the pc. it's how smart updates our ROM's in their wireless center. we couldn't do it with a pc and a usb term. maybe we could use the options available in bootloader version .93, any help or suggestions welcome.  

Posted from my SmartPhone!

i tried flashing a phone using only a mmc. what i did was flash a qtek rom stored in my mmc over a smart 1.37 rom. Thereafter, I ran spvunlock. It worked.

@ rodnav,

I wonder how you can mix the http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2628>0.93 boothoader and the SAP_137. the format is different.  

Maybe you can save and IPSM from a phone with a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2628>0.93 bootloader and use this to flash a phone that you want to downgrade and unlock.

I'll try it sometime. Any ideas?

we could flash the bootloader of 1.3.7.8 phone with a .93 bootloader then then we could use the options there to copy all...

if it doesn't work, maybe we'd have to use the Orange ROM.

just an idea, so it would be faster to downgrade phones.

i've tried upgrading a 1.5.0.28 with a .98 bootloader directly to an Imate or Qtek rom but it's hit and miss, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. and it takes a while to do over a PC. i was hoping if we use an MMC or SD card, it would work faster.

Guest gosonnie

h! im new in using the smartphone. i don't know anyone with a bootloader .98 and smart 1.37 rom but am interested in unlocking my phone.

the sites that were posted for the smart 1.37 are already upgraded to 1.5.0.28. can't find anymore copies of it.

please help :idea:

h! im new in using the smartphone. i don't know anyone with a bootloader .98 and smart 1.37 rom but am interested in unlocking my phone.

the sites that were posted for the smart 1.37 are already upgraded to 1.5.0.28. can't find anymore copies of it.

please help :idea:

for the smart 1.37, try this: http://www.mtech.com.ph/geoff/schadow1/sap/sap_137.zip

for the bootloaders:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=60

you'll be needing a "licensed" winhex and a card reader. goodluck! ;)

Guest mlkanapi

@ rodnav,

I'll try that when I get my phone back from the repair shop. I burned the board and BP is waiting for a shipment to arrive. I wonder why they don't keep several boards in stock.

Baka masmadalas na mangyayari ito because of all the tinkering that's going on.

@ baculao,

Isn't the Smart 1.37 unlockable as it is? The bootloader is 0.98. You can run the unlock program directly.

What is your experience with i-mate. I tried it before my phone stopped working and it didn't want to accept the SIM card of Globe. Did that mean it was locked?

help please.. now my memory card was already written with bootloader http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2628>0.98, and is now, UNREADABLE by my PC. so i believe i made the right thing.. now when my phone boots up in canary, its still the same! canary v1.04.. please help!!! ;)(

i dont get it! i thought it will load up with my bootloader http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2628>0.98?? please help..

To Kazen104,

Is your computer on Win ME or lower? I had the same problem also when I first copied the bootloader to my SD card. I copied the bootloader using Winhex to my SD using my laptop which was on Win ME. I tried several times but the phone would not recognize it and it always go to the canary 1.04. I decided to upgrade my desktop PC to XP & tried copying it again to my SD card. After putting the SD card to my phone, it was able to recognize it immediately. Hope this would help.

Guest mlkanapi

Hey grifter and rodnav,

Take a look at what I was able to do...

I was able to do a complete backup of a phone running SAP_137 with a 0.93 bootloader. I then updated this same phone to SAP_150 and locked it.

Using my 128 MB SD card where I saved the CE, GSM, Bootloader, and IPSM ( copy all option ), I was able to downgrade the phone back to the Smart 1.37 with just the SD Card.

Kaya lang, sayang yung Panasonic 128 Mb card ko. I will need it when I get my phone back from BP.

I might consider buying a 258 Mb card later on but I cannot seem to copy this fantastic Sd card for safekeeping or to share with you guys.. :!: .

BTW, the attachments are shown backwards. The first attachment is from the end

Aut_1795.jpg

Aut_1801.jpg

Aut_1800.jpg

@mlkanapi,

nice work! :lol: I was also there when grifter and ppcsurfer was try to do that in the last EB. :D would it be possible for us to copy your SD card? How much memory do we need for it? :? This is what we can truly call a backup SD card! ;)

Guest mlkanapi

@ chibako

I can let you copy the card but I'm not sure how.

I'll make it available for anyone who might want to use it.

I used my 128 Mb Sd card. I'm not sure how big the backup file in it is.

If someone brings along a 32 or 64 Mb card we can try to see if it'll work. :!:

@mlkanapi

great job! i've got a 64 mb MMC card that only has the .98 bootloader. maybe you could copy the contents of your SD card to it. maybe i'll even get a 32 mb SD card if it still available so it'll be secure. just set up a date when we could backup that precious card. yes, we wants it.

by the way, how long did it take you to flash your phone from the SD card?

Guest mlkanapi

@ rodnav,

I will probably have to make you a copy of the 0.93 bootloader in your 64 Mb card.

That way if you opt to save all or only part of the Phone's content ( IPSM, GSM, CE ) it will be run and saved in your 64 MB card.

It took about 15 min to unlock the phone.

We can probably do this in between my seeing patients... :wink:

Guest mlkanapi

Anyone interested can just send me a PM. Maybe include your cell phone number as I am not always open in the net.

I'll try to work around my schedule to accomodate you. ;)