"Photographer" for smartphone...

Guest matanglawin

Guest matanglawin

i recently saw this "photographer" program that enables the camera of the Nokia 3650 to zoom digitally.

does anyone know if such a program will be released for the smartphone :?:

Guest Terwin
i recently saw this "photographer" program that enables the camera of the Nokia 3650 to zoom digitally.

does anyone know if such a program will be released for the smartphone :?:

The 8380 has digital zoom built into their app. Digital zoom is ugly. better just to snap it without zoom and digital zoom it in photoshop.

Guest matanglawin
Digital zoom is ugly.

I beg to disagree. I saw an actual demo of how the "Photographer" application works...it surely does look pixelized in the preview screen during the shoot, but when you get to see the actual image, it's crisp and clear.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Digital zoom is never a good thing as you will always sacrifice quality by the very nature

of digital zooming without any optical help. So you may start off with 640x480 but arter zooming you will

have say 240x320 etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest matanglawin
This is indeed pretty good for a digital zoom on a PHONE! Bring on the Photographer SPV Edition ;)

at last...*sigh of relief*...a concurring opinion! :D

cheers madu :wink:

Guest NederSoren

I dont see how this even can be possible?

You're sure you didn't move the camera any closer in the close-ups?

'couse i can't see how digital-zoom could do bether that photoshop?

Guest matanglawin
I dont see how this even can be possible?

You're sure you didn't move the camera

Affirmative...

No tricks here mate. I wouldn't even go out of my way to do such desperate act because I'm not trying to sell any product here.

I'm just hoping that this application would be made available to SmartPhone users. :wink:

Guest CFairhurst

The photoshop version probably looks worse as it's trying to expand an already compressed image which has already lost some fine detail, while the Photographer app is more than likely working directly on the uncompressed image.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Going by the size of each file it seems strange that the image

is managing to keep the samesimilar resolution when zooming in :?

Now I would like to know how that is achived with a fixed lens ?

Guest spacemonkey

One question, when you took the photo's at like 16x zoom, did the photo take longer to take? like if you took a 1x photo while moving the camera and a 16x photo while moving the camera, does the 16x one have more motion blur/ look horrible?

One thing their app may being doing is capturing several successive frames from the camera and feeding these into their zoom algorythms... Otherwise they've just got a very good expansion algorithm and the advantage of doing it off raw pixels rather than compressed images...

Guest SpeedFreak
Going by the size of each file it seems strange that the image  

is managing to keep the samesimilar resolution when zooming in :?

Now I would like to know how that is achived with a fixed lens ?

Photoshop can do an equally good job when you have an uncompressed image to work with, eg. raw pixels.

Its unfair to compare this with pshop since you are feeding pshop some crappy JPG whereas the app works with the raw output.

Also, look more carefully - there is a fair bit of pixellation, although this app does seem to do a great job ;)

Cheers

Guest matanglawin
My favourite function in Photographer is the Panoramic view mode. That would would be nice on an SPV also.
I didn't get the chance to check that feature out...care to post an image of the "panoramic view" :?:

:D

One question, when you took the photo's at like 16x zoom, did the photo take longer to take?

i would say it took longer for the mobilephone to process the (16x) image compared to the others (normal, 1x, 2x, etc)...and in the preview screen, it looked horribly pixelized (different from the actual image stored by the phone). ;)