GPRS Dialling Sticking Poll

Guest Pagemakers

i was in norwich where i get a bad signal but when i did get a signal the dialing was fine (ish) but now im in nottingham and its stupid--nearly everytime it gets stuck--im giving up on GPRS--PAYG here we go.

Arnt the mods using some beta of the 1.6 ROM? if it dont stick on there phones the next update *should* fix it :roll:

although that has been said alot for this phone--in the next update :)

Guest Pagemakers

As I've said before I am not entirely convinced the problem is 100% with Orange I think the SPV/Smartphone is bugged as well.

If it was Orange's network how can 2 phones in the same house (mine), and registered to the same address perform so differently. One good, one bad.

This morning, couldn’t connect for 7 or 8 times. Closed all aps with Task Manager. Still couldn’t connect again and again. Re-booted phone and connected first time.

Does anyone have a non-SPV phone they could put their sim card in to see if the other phone sticks connecting to GPRS? Bet it doesn’t.

Guest morpheus2702

Did you have a SPV before? If so, how did tht compare?

I just get the impression that the UK 1.5 software is seriously flawed - both in terms of inconsistent GPRS and abysmal battery life. I think Orange got caught with their pants down and rushed it for the E-100 launch.

I now use the iMate ROM and since I have, GPRS is better and battery life is great.

Still, don't worry, there will be another mod along in a moment to tell us to wait for 1.6. :roll:

Guest Pagemakers

I did have er several SPV's before and yes they did stick occasionally but nothing at all like my troubles at the moment.

Oooh look, 70% of us now have problems connecting!

Guest strangechild

In my personal experience, the problem is geographic

The GPRS functionality on the cell site serving my home was down for a fortnight, as acknowledged (eventually!) by a more clued-up member of staff on 156.

Once that was fixed, my problems connecting at home more-or-less disappeared. I only get stuck on "Dialling..." at home maybe 1 in 10 times. That's not a problem, as once I connect, I start MSN Messenger to keep the connection alive.

However, I still experience problems from time-to-time and in my experience these are definitely geographic.

For example, if anyone in London wants to experiment with this tomorrow (though it may be fixed by then) there was today a GPRS "black hole" on the South Bank between London Bridge and Blackfriars Bridge. On the way to work this morning, my GPRS died shortly after leaving the London Bridge area and did not come back to life until getting close to Blackfriars Bridge. The same thing happened again this evening on a train passing through the area. As soon as I got to London Bridge and out of the problem area, it came back to life.

However I am bemused by Pagemakers' problems which seem to be related to something else. Could they have something to do with the HLRs (Google Groups link to explanation of HLR) which his SIM cards are on?

From time to time, Orange's HLRs crash. When a particular HLR goes down, all the users on it lose the ability to make or recieve calls. These periodic HLR outages demonstrate that two identical phones bought at the same time may not perform identically at all times. If the HLR for one SIM card is down but the other is still running, then one phone will be unusable whilst the other will work normally.

Perhaps the GPRS "Dialling..." problem is both geographic and related to HLR.

Pure speculation on my part, of course, not being a GSM engineer or having any inside information.

Perhaps Mr_Orange could enlighten us more conclusively... :wink:

Just in case it helps, I'm in Thailand (on a non-orange network) and I have the same problems here. Sometimes it's really good and I can connect everytime, sometimes it's really bad. Same areas of my city, different times, different results. Almost everytime when it "sticks" it takes down my entire phone, battery removal required. I've not seen this happen with Nokias here (unless the GPRS network really is down, and then they just won't connect, they don't crash and burn). Next time this happens I'll swap sims and see if the nokia is able to connect...

Mine has definately improved (went for 2 whole days with only 1 dialling...). No idea why - same location, nothing changed by O ??? We should offer a reward for the first person who figures out what gprs actually is & how it woeks (or doesn't work as the case may be!!) :)

Guest strangechild

Pagemakers, interesting that you have problems in Birmingham. My GPRS worked perfectly all weekend when I was there a few weeks ago. There's no logic to this whatsoever!

@Ravis and others who have raised the Nokia question: I have experienced the same problem on my 8310 when trying to connect to Orange GPRS WAP. Usually fell back to dialup - at least it works 95% of the time.

Guest crimminsky

Just conducted a little experiment at my desk, I tried to connect TEN times to orange and it stuck on dialling every time. rebooted the phone, didn't move, connected to orange first go! now to me that suggests there is something wrong with the phone and/or software. Has it occured to anyone that there might be a clash with one of the many uncertified programs or homescreens that we run on our phones.

Has anyone who has not de-certified been having the same problem?

This GPRS issue is starting to bug me...... :evil:

Guest Pagemakers

I agree with you 100% I think the phone has something to do with it. Mine can stick for ages but a reboot normally cures the problem.

As an aside I have also asked Orange to provision my sim card on another transmitter to see if that makes any difference.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Just conducted a little experiment at my desk, I tried to connect TEN times to orange and it stuck on dialling every time. rebooted the phone, didn't move, connected to orange first go! now to me that suggests there is something wrong with the phone and/or software.

Nah, I don't think its the phone (although 1.5 software seems a bit better overall). I believe there may be two reasons for the stuck on dialling problems and that is why its difficult to assess the cause. It sounds like you have same problem as drblow (if you turn the radio off/on - it should connect first time)

Guest strangechild

I agree with Martin. In my experience, rebooting fixes the problem because it detaches and reattaches you to the network. I too have found that turning the radio off and then back on again has the same effect.

Yeah, with the 1.5 software on e100, either radio on/off or a reboot will allow me to connect. It's not 100% effective, sometimes even that won't get me on. But it is definately better with 1.5 software, so I reckon at least 1 of the problems is phone related.

Guest beersoft

I have an interesting one for you guys,

my fabled friend who's gprs works at his house most of the time and doesn't work at mine, but does work on the beach in devon 100% every time he's tried to connect.

mine's as crap as always, ok in milton keynes, northampton, and leicester but sucks in coventry and bedford, and never works on the M1

later

Owen

insert fun here