Polytones (midi1) on Smartphones

Guest spv_dman

Guest spv_dman

I was just thinking that nokia polytones, that is midi1 format, are possible to be played on our current smartphone OS given an alternative sound player. Currently our SAPs or SPVs sound player, only supports midi0. If any developers out there can create a midi1 sound player then I think the succeeding steps will just be registry modification that will be performed by the installer. By default all windows platform, smartphone OS included, uses "file association" to open/play an item. If a third party midi1 sound player can associate all .midi files to itself then polytones (midi1) a reality. This will save a lot of space considering that the only option we have right now is to convert polytones (midi1) to wav to be able to play it on our phone. Imagine, the nokia midi "espionage.mid",at around 7kb became a 4.5mb wav :evil: Really hope to have that nokia polyphonic experience on my SAP soon at a lower space consumption. :)

Note: I refrained from saying that smartphones are not capable of playing polytones in general as this thread from customization has some grounds to say that it does play polytones:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...ight=polyphonic

Appropriately, midi0 and not midi1 format can be played on smartphones.

It's possible. I posted my comments re this matter a few months ago. You only have to create a software tat can handle other types of midis. But you have to create a new wavetable for that. Somewhat like the Roland GS Wavetable that you can install on Windows 98, etc.

The only problem is if the setting for which app will play ringtones is hardcoded into the ROM and not the registry. :)

Guest spv_dman
Have you tried converting midi formats from midi1 to midi0?

I'm downloading one now to try out (midconverter.com). I'd like to play my 3650 ringtones on my SAP too.

Yup. I've already tried that. Midi0 format is not as lively as midi1 though.

Guest spv_dman
It's possible. I posted my comments re this matter a few months ago.  You only have to create a software tat can handle other types of midis.  But you have to create a new wavetable for that.  Somewhat like the Roland GS Wavetable that you can install on Windows 98, etc.

The only problem is if the setting for which app will play ringtones is hardcoded into the ROM and not the registry. ;)

Well I guess you're right. I've seen this in the registry but I think this is suppose to play the midi using the default sound player when opened via file explorer and not when being played as a ringtone:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTmidifileShellOpenCommandDefault

Value data: Windowsqhandler.exe %1

:roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...