Battery Charging

Guest puffa_j

Guest dinoalbert

from: http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/archive/Gen...arge%20the%20it?

Battery; When is it best to recharge the it?

Who better to ask then GSBattery who manufactures Li-Ion cells? I received this answer to my question;

Dear Dale,

Lithium ion does not suffer from any ill effects from constant charging. However, in general, it is best to keep the battery charged up when ever possible. You see, battery cycle life is shortened by deep discharging, meaning that if you discharge the battery fully, that has a greater long-term ill effect on the battery than if you discharged it only 50% and then recharged it. The best way to maximize the life of your cell is to avoid deep discharges in general. Best of luck,

David Sugrue

GS Battery (USA) Inc.

Thanks for that info dinoalbert. I usually discharge my battery completely before charging it again. Yun kasi ang nakasanayan ko sa nokia e, but now i'll take that advice. Thanks again.

actually it's not dependent on the brand of the phone/battery but rather on the type of battery.

pag ni-cd or ni-mh (although there's debate on ni-mh), you have to fully discharge to avoid memory effect.

pag li-ion or li-pi, no need to discharge fully.

all batteries have their life-span and it just depend on our usage and charging habit how we maximize their specified life-span.

i usually charge mine whenever there is only 1 bar left on the monitor. as the info of dino said, Li-Ion batteries doesn't need to be discharged fully.

cheers dino. :)

one more thing though, is there an ill-effect if we leave our batteries being charged, say overnight?

Guest crashbash

grifter, how about charging it to a certain time only, and then remove the charger even the battery is not fully charged? Does this has a bad effect on the battery?

tnx dino! very informative link. ngayon ko lang nalaman to. this is something new for me. ;) hindi naman pala kelangan battery empty or battery low to charge your battery e. thank you very much!

one more thing though, is there an ill-effect if we leave our batteries being charged, say overnight?

I do this all the time... wala naman problems. :D

Guest dinoalbert

noon ko pa to nalaman...PocketPC at SE phone palang gamit ko (at kahit nung Nokia 8250 pa yata) ;)

actually na-post na to noon matagal na sa Pinoy PocketPC forum :wink:

hey,

this is good information, i've read some debates on it a while back and generally let the battery discharged fully before charging. maybe this is the final word. i'll make it a habit to top off my battery more often. not really that practical with SAP though, it would mean that SAP would be plugged into the wall outlet every 6 hours. maybe the new ROMS would really extend the battery life.

there is also a downside to frequent charging.

since li-ion and li-pi batteries usually lasts 600-1000 charge cycles only before the performance diminishes, it means that frequent charging will also shorten the life of the battery.

let's say you charge once a day, so your battery will last approx 2-2.5 yrs. So, if you charge 3-4 times a day... well, you do the math. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crashbash

just one thing that i noticed though, when i do charge my SAP at "off" state, it takes longer to fully charge compared when it is on "on" state... given that they came from the same battery charge level before charging... with this, i now charge my phone always at "on" state.

Guest adi116

nangyari na ba sa inyo ito: di na-re-refresh ang date and time sa homescreen - pero sa settings tama naman, mc traveller - tama din.

twice ng nangyari sa kin itong error na ito, pag tinigil ko yung charging na di pa fully charged.

anyone who encountered same error?

Guest sonborj
nangyari na ba sa inyo ito: di na-re-refresh ang date and time sa http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>homescreen - pero sa settings tama naman, mc traveller - tama din.

twice ng nangyari sa kin itong error na ito, pag tinigil ko yung charging na di pa fully charged.

anyone who encountered same error?

no, it hasnt happened to me yet....

Guest binky_p

hinde rin nangyari sa kin yan. pero wierd yan na parang nafreeze yung date and time...just because you prematurely disconnected/stopped the charging..what did you do then?..nagsoft reset ka lang ba?.. :roll:

Guest adi116

actually di siya naghang, nag-try ako i-restart yung phone ko - same error, ilang beses ko tinry error pa din. What I did, I turned-off my phone, then I plugged the charger, then turned it on - ayun na-correct na din sa wakas.

Siguro, ang advice ko lang, ok lang yung frequent charging, wag nyo lang i-u-under charge. It might cause more damage than what have happened to my SAP, di pa lang natin nakikita sa ngayon. Sabi nga ni murphy: "If anything can go wrong, It will go wrong!!!"