SPV2 vs. MPx200 vs. New Mitac

Guest londonlad

without a decent carkit anywhere, i'll buy a bluetooth one tomorrow, will fit my nokias and my spv.. and can be used by anyone in the car!!!

That's enough for me... also wireless headsets :shock: love em or hate em are a fact of life!

Will

Guest nickcornaglia
What's with the fascination with Bluetooth and integrated cameras? You all say you want Bluetooth, but hardly any of you have a practical application for it.  Both I would consider to be pointless unless you really are the sort of person who uses either....what could bluetooth be useful for in a Smartphone?  Wireless activesync?  What's wrong with the USB cradle...?  What else can you use it for?  Just how many other bluetooth devices are out there anyway?  Why not just use infra-red instead? The Nokia's have real good compatability with the SPV's infra-red...you can rnasfer contacts...oohhhhh!  Integrated camera?  Euck!  Never use it.

As far as the integrated camera goes....it's nice to be there for those little times when you wish you had it. If you don't use it....just forget it's there. It's easy to do.

BlueTooth on the other hand is finally coming into it's own. Reason I would like it.

1) Wireless Headset

2) Wireless Syncing. Walk into your office...and it syncs on it's own automatically. The same at home.

3) Like Brody said....wireless use of your broadband connection while on the toilet.

4) BlueTooth Car Kits. Get into your car and it's connected while still in your pocket.

5) BlueTooth GPS.

The more things that can connect via BlueTooth, the less hardware the phone actually has to include. Many of the above still need to be perfected. But think of the possibilities for the future:

1) Totally against my integrated camera remarks...but how about a wireless bluetooth camera?

2) A bluetooth remote control for your entertainment center or home lighting & systems?

3) Here's a stretch...a BlueTooth car ignition starter. Or garage door opener.

4) I saw mention Bluetooth RC toy cars recently.

5) Can the voice signal be broadcast thru BlueTooth? If that can happen one day...then any BT PC could be a hands free speakerphone system.

6) Payment at shops via a Bluetooth Phone with the proper security settings.

7) Maybe a way for other devices to connect only to find out who you are. Walk into a store and the advertisment is geared just for you. MinorityReport-ish.

BlueTooth is a big conundrum. It won't get more useful without adoption and won't get adoption without more functionality. The visionaries of technology need to make BlueTooth or something better happen one day.

In the meantime...I'll be surfing away on the potty! ;)

Guest Dave Abrey

encece,

2) A bluetooth remote control for your entertainment center or home lighting & systems?

This idea isn't as far off as you may think... There's an application available for Apple Mac's that allows you to use your Bluetooth phone (I think it's limited to using Sony Ericsson ones at the moment) to controll all sorts of aspects of your Mac. Probably the most common use is to control iTunes for playing music, but you can do all sorts of things like getting it to start playing music when you are in range, and pause when you leave! Very cool ;). If something like that can be acieved now, just imagine what could be done with just a little more effort :D.

In the meantime...I'll be surfing away on the potty! ;)

Hmmm ... and I thought I was geeky! :shock:

Well, returning to the CPU question I must say that I have to take Mono's side on this. I believe that it WILL be faster, but whether that extra speed will be powered by an slightly overclocked OMAP, I don't have the faintest idea about. My point is, that Orange should have realised by now that one of the things that made people buy the Mitac was the 200mhz! ... They are not stupid!

Guest londonlad

because they arent stupid they'll probably release a slow processor, its all bout the monay!

but still, as with computers and prob pocket pcs, a new operating system needs a faster processor. if windows mobile 2003 had a min. speed on its operating system WM2003, then theres a point to it! otherwise WM2003 aint any differnet from smartphone 2002 (apart from bluetooth, which they could have released on smartphone 2002!)

Come to think bout it does anyone know any other key improvements? dont say more stable or any thing like that that should be expected in the first one!because they arent stupid they'll probably release a slow processor, its all bout the monay!

but still, as with computers and prob pocket pcs, a new operating system needs a faster processor. if windows mobile 2003 had a min. speed on its operating system WM2003, then theres a point to it! otherwise WM2003 aint any differnet from smartphone 2002 (apart from bluetooth, which they could have released on smartphone 2002!)

Come to think bout it does anyone know any other key improvements? dont say more stable or any thing like that that should be expected in the first one!

Guest londonlad

look, the mpx200 comes with a mini usb port does that mean if orange provide a wm2003 upgrade that it is Bluetooth compatible ? ? ?

wot do you think of the new mitac, it massive, aint it?

bluetooth,

i'd reallly want one on my phone. people here in the philippines use their bluetooth. when you go to malls and turn on your bluetooth, you could send and receive pictures and videos from other bluetooth devices, fancy way of meeting new people. and most of all it's free. unlike MMS and SMS.

Guest kingdom master

Ill wait for the new mitac. unless the spv2 has a 200 mhz processor or more...

however motorola are already planning a version of the smartphone with builtin camera and bluetooth for later next year according to the rep i spoke to today.

kingdom

p.s, does the motorola use the same processor as the spv?

Guest AngelOfRage

alot of talk about the Moto and SPV but what of the Mitac 8390? i was under the impression it has built in camera, is much smaller than the 8380, faster processor and with the new nvidia chip it looks like the battery life might be slightly better aswell, plus highres pictures...

Guest londonlad

wont the nvidea chip consume more battery life? i doubt that theyll push smartphone 2003 with a slow processor. im waiting for the spv2 but if it takes too long its gonna have to be moto (its a nice size but i hate flip phones, you have to put all that effort into flippin openin it every time)

One reason I like the Moto is the clamshell design... no, I never used to like clamshells, but looking at the state of my SPV's screen (scratched to hell) I think it'd be nice to be able to throw it in my pocket and not worry about the screen getting scratched.

Just a though..

P.S. I would need Bluetooth for a car kit, so I'm still waiting for a good solution.

Guest cyrilthefish
bluetooth,

i'd reallly want one on my phone. people here in the philippines use their bluetooth. when you go to malls and turn on your bluetooth, you could send and receive pictures and videos from other bluetooth devices, fancy way of meeting new people. and most of all it's free. unlike MMS and SMS.

Hehe! my friends had that happen with his p800. he leaves the bluetooth on discoverable mode and sometimes get sent random pics :D

I love that sort of silly randomness ;)

*gets silly sound effects ready for random bluetooth sending when the SPV2 is released*

For anyone who doubts Bluetooth, do you use MSN on your phone?

I know BT and passthrough is going to save me a fortune on GPRS costs.

how will BT save you money on GPRS costs? and what is passthrough? and why are you wondering if we use MSN ?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Passthrough is using your PC's internet connection when your phone is connected to Activesync (on current handsets with a docking cradle or usb cable). As BT will allow wireless syncing (and therefore passthrough) you will be able to use MSN within 100ish meters of your PC without having to connect to GPRS, which saves on data costs...

As for why MSN, because MSN is on the phone by default. The same would apply to AIM/ICQ/Yahoo if you use iMov though...

I'm still waiting for TRUE SDIO support so I can have Wi-Fi on my smartphone. I'm not going to buy one until it is possible. I was hoping Smartphone 2003 would support it (since the hardware exists now) but it looks like we are going to miss out again. ;)

-Mc

Passthrough is using your PC's internet connection when your phone is connected to Activesync (on current handsets with a docking cradle or usb cable).  As BT will allow wireless syncing (and therefore passthrough) you will be able to use MSN within 100ish meters of your PC without having to connect to GPRS, which saves on data costs...

As for why MSN, because MSN is on the phone by default.  The same would apply to AIM/ICQ/Yahoo if you use iMov though...

oh.. I pretty much only use GPRS when im out and about.. so bluetooth probably wont save me too much money. The wireless syncing sure will be nice though

Guest McHale

browsing the web via wi-fi will be cool, but chatting via wi-fi over the internet (voice or text) will be awesome! Besides, my house is wi-fi and the idea of browsing the internet with my phone when I'm sitting in my lawnchair makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. ;) Since I started using my phone for email and web browsing, I stopped lugging my laptop with me on vacations. Man, that's neat.

-Mc

p.s. go CUBS!!!!!