Response to some of the questions that have been asked.

Guest Mr Orange

Guest Mr Orange

This is in response to the original questions raised by Kingdom.

hi mate and welcome,

will orange be providing a way of updating the current 2002 system to 2003 via an update? or will the current spv and e100 users be restricted to 2002?

A business decision has not been made on this yet.

second question, u may or may not know this but do u think we will see the mitac mio in the uk on orange?

Orange are working with a a number of manufacturers evaluating a number of new smartphone products, it would be inappropriate at this time to comment on any one manufacturer.

third question, will orange start using xscale processors for there forth coming smartphones?

Please see answer above ;)

thanks for your time

kingdom

And next up:

4. What is the word on the 1.6 update?

We wanted to make the 1.6 update available to customers as soon as possible. However, [and this is related to question 5], there is a new GSM stack available that is currently being integrated. This would have meant releasing the 1.6 build and very soon afterwards releasing a new build that incorporated the new radio stack. Looking at it from a customer perspective, we felt it would be better to have one release rather than two. We expect a new release to be tested by the moderators next month and a new release to be made available in Q4.

5. What is the truth about the GPRS problem being to do with the handset, rather than the network?

see above response

6. How far ahead does the SPV roadmap go?

I am already looking at Smartphones for 2004 and beyond :D

Even though some people got frustrated at the mods for having the 1.6 update for test, I hope that the mods still tell us when they get the new version (whatever number it ends up being called) and say what it is like (good points and bad) so we know what to expect/look fwd to.

Guest goinnuts

the date i got of retail coms was oct 18th. but am sure andy gonna prove me wrong.

completely off topic but andy what happened to the last nokia we were supposed to be relasing and the 3650.

I'm guessing Andy's "Yes" post, is either due to him

only having an idea, and not everything being concrete yet

or

he is not at liberty to say, until everything is official

... As Andy is here in an offical role, he can only give us official answers.

Thanks for thoses answers, appreciate it.

Let us know when Orange decide yay or nay to a 2003 upgrade for the SPV/ SPVe100 please!

BTW, it might be a good idea to sticky this post for a while.

Good to see a post there Mr. O! :wink: A little bit too diplomatic - we want hard facts here!! :D

In regards to the GPRS issue (I have been particularly vocal about that one! ;) ) - the suggestion in your post is that the new GSM stack will address the problem. Can you actually say whether the problem has been identified & rectified in this, or is it a 'hopefully that'll put 'em off the scent for a while...' type scenario!?

Glad to hear we can expect 1.6 at some stage - although Q4 could mean december, right? :?

Oh, and one last thing - this may be a sweeping generalisation, but I would guess that if our smartphones are NOT upgradeable to 2003, that would pretty much hack off EVERY user out there!?

Hey - welcome to the forum!! :wink:

Hay Andy,

If the first and second faze fixes to the GPRS problem failed BIG time, are you saying there is a stage 3? And is it going to fix the problem once and for all? :oops:

If you are looking at the SPV development for 2004 and beyond, will there be support on the E200 for 3G video? Taking in to account that Orange are already testing Nokia 6650s on the Orange 3G network now? :?:

And lastly.........

Is the E200 going to have HSCSD? if so what kind of CSD speed are we looking at. Crucial for when you cant use GPRS. I'm kinda p*ssed off that I can only cannect at 9.6 even over USB to PC. :evil:

Jedi

If you are looking at the SPV development for 2004 and beyond, will there be support on the E200 for 3G video?

I assume that Andy won't be able to answer that as it's potentially commercially sensitive information...

My two pence, the MS guy at the first meet (April) said that the actual software is ready, but they were waiting for a manufacturer to get going with a 3g Smartphone handset, and a network operator to adopt it.

Also you have to remember the C200/E200/SPV2 don't have frontal cameras, which means it's pretty useless making videocalls from them as the caller will only be able to see your feet.

BTW HSCSD is only 28.8kbps, and costs 21p+VAT a minute ;)

Just to add my opinion, its great to see Mr Orange/Andy posting on here, i would suggest that we don't go too hard on him, afterall, as has been mentioned before he is here in an official capacity and is therefore not gonna leak information that he does or doesn't have that is sensitive. Some of the questions that have been asked are never going to be answered IMHO. I suppose we can only ask but i'm sure that Andy will let us know of any major news as soon as he is allowed to! ;)

excuus me, but, I did not read anything I did not know about, and i think its crap to wait with an update, let me decide if i want 1 or 2 updates or that I have to backup my ipsm or not duhhh...

I want improved battery life for example, without qtek bla...

I think a question like are we going to be able to update to 2003 is a normal question, hell I bought it already, I want to know ?

don't be madd @ me please ;-)

excuus me, but, I did not read anything I did not know about, and i think its crap to wait with an update, let me decide if i want 1 or 2 updates or that I have to backup my ipsm or not duhhh...

It's fine with us advanced users saying that, but you simply can't do that with Joe Bloggs, which is why it is important to Orange to minimise the hassle of updating into a single process.

Joe Bloggs cannot backup their IPSM, but they can complain that they've lost all their contacts, SMS and installed applications.

Guest brntcrsp
Also you have to remember the C200/E200/SPV2 don't have frontal cameras, which means it's pretty useless making videocalls from them as the caller will only be able to see your feet.

you could always stand it up in front of a mirror... ;)

Guest Paul [MVP]

There is new information uzay, did you know the release was pulled to integrate a new radio stack?

Thought not.

Also, the 2003 question was answered honestly by Andy, and it isn't what you wanted to hear, but it IS the current situation.

Orange have to make the business decision - and to be honest if that doesn't go in our favour I will understand their reasons, but we just need to keep our fingers crossed.

When was the last time you updated your Nokia or Ericsson to the new release of their OS?

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest morpheus2702
When was the last time you updated your Nokia or Ericsson to the new release of their OS?

Good point...

But by the same token, when was the last time a Nokia or Ericsson had a battery life as abysmal as with the standard 1.5 update?

For me, it is only the promise of an update that will rectify the problem that makes me stick with the E100. Otherwise, back to Orange it would have gone.

"]There is new information uzay, did you know the release was pulled to integrate a new radio stack?

Thought not.

!

yeaaah i did... developers site, I also call orange alot....

"]Also, the 2003 question was answered honestly by Andy, and it isn't what you wanted to hear, but it IS the current situation.!

Yess he gave an answer, but for me as a customer the wrong one.

"]When was the last time you updated your Nokia or Ericsson to the new release of their OS?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

well sorry, if you spend as much time on the internet as me, you would have read these items on different sites...

And yeaah it is like it is, but i don't like it to be this way for starters...

so i do not agree with you paul...

But hey.. us techie guys F*ck them ???? sell phones to the masses????

so they have good batteries en we can buy a new one ???

Guest Paul [MVP]
well sorry, if you spend as much time on the internet as me, you would have read these items on different sites...
I'm intrigued, show me somewhere where you've read that 1.6 was delayed due a new radio stack being integrated...

if you spend as much time on the internet as me,

You better believe it! ;)

P

"]

I'm intrigued, show me somewhere where you've read that 1.6 was delayed due a new radio stack being integrated...

You better believe it! ;)

P

yeaah well it not a contest Paul... just my findings....

"]I'm intrigued, show me somewhere where you've read that 1.6 was delayed due a new radio stack being integrated...

well login to the developers site... and let me know if you can't find it..

or call orange NL and ask for the reason for delay 1.6... they tell you straight up...

;-)