Response to some of the questions that have been asked.

Guest Mr Orange

The only point I was making was that you cannot expect an official response to leak information! We all know that Orange are being tight lipped about certain things for whatever reason, but I respect their reasons (even though I dont know what they are!). If I was developing an update I wouldn't give a release date as if i missed it then my reputation would be in question, sorry to mention it but look at Planus :?

The only point I was making was that you cannot expect an official response to leak information! We all know that Orange are being tight lipped about certain things for whatever reason, but I respect their reasons (even though I dont know what they are!). If I was developing an update I wouldn't give a release date as if i missed it then my reputation would be in question, sorry to mention it but look at Planus :?

I agree, But there a lot of people using this product since the early days, and they don't like to wait for updates, which are intended for the masses.

I agree that for 90% of the people one update which solves all, and backups and restores is great in Q4

I however rather liked an update which solves my problems in q3 en let me backup my stuff myself. I even would prefer to get 2 sepperate updates rather then having this problems 3 months longer.

I do understand that they can not leak information.

I do not mean any disrespect to anyone...

And offcourse I welcome Mr. Orange and hope he will enlighten us some more...

I agree, But there a lot of people using this product since the early days, and they don't like to wait for updates, which are intended for the masses.
Sorry, but there is no reason for any company to want to release 2 updates more-or-less back-to-back. It causes all sorts of problems with customers who *do* get annoyed with a "constant updating" policy. In addition to this, it adds a whole load of extra work for the Orange tech support people as each release will introduce a new set of bugs, fix other bugs and just generally cause chaos.

I agree that for 90% of the people one update which solves all, and backups and restores is great in Q4

I however rather liked an update which solves my problems in q3 en let me backup my stuff myself. I even would prefer to get 2 sepperate updates rather then having this problems 3 months longer.

Q4 starts in just 13 days... and counting.... Maybe in two weeks time you will have the latest version - or maybe it will take 3 months. But, to be honest, I would rather have one *good* update than several crap ones. If things are rushed then more bugs will creep in and these bugs could end up causing more trouble than the rushed update would have solved. Testing and bug fixing is *very* important. Be patient.... :wink:

Hax

Guest Pagemakers
Testing and bug fixing is *very* important.  Be patient....  :wink:

Christ, we've waited over a year!

Who knows, maybe the update will be cancelled altogether in favour of 2003.

Mmm... testing & bug fixing - if they'd done that in the first place, then maybe we wouldn't all be crying for updates so much!!?? :wink:

Anyways - my 2p...

"What's the point of arguing over who killed who" (!! ;) ). The fact is that nobody is going to tell anybody when the update is coming out - it'll be out when it's out!! & nobody should be upset because somebody didn't tell 'em, or indeed expect anybody to tell 'em anything until the time is right! Yeah, that p**ses me off too - but whadda you do?!

There's no point bickering about it on here - if you're not happy, phone O & give off at 'em!! Yeah, so it won't change anything, but I always find it's an exorcising of the demons!! :twisted: & it means Orange has to spend some money on admin to deal with your pointless call - it's kinda like revenge!! :D

There seems to be a bit of an atmosphere of 'ooh, Orange aren't that bad, let's give them a chance shall we?' - since the arrival of Mr. O - which I find disconcerting. No offence, but my attitude towards the company hasn't changed just because they have finally realised that Modaco holds more information about smartphones than Orange even knew existed!! Don't get me wrong - it is PROMISING, but my personal view is that the first response from Mr. O has been a little like Prime Minister's question time - you ask a question about something you feel is important to you, & the answer is as vague as a very vague thing, designed to sound neither positive or negative but still maintaining a 'we are interested in the customer' feel (even tho the evidence clearly says they don't give a sh*t about us) - and ultimately not answering the question fully!

But at the end of the day - Andy is here in an 'official' capacity, so it is stupid to expect any different. I think maybe some people felt like the arrival of an 'official' Orange staff member would mean all the answers we ever wanted. I doubt it!

No offence like, you know!! :wink:

Guest morpheus2702
The first response from Mr. O has been a little like Prime Minister's question time

Has my learned colleague found any evidence of Updates of Mass Destruction?

"I would refer the member for Milton Keynes East to my previous answer" :wink:

Guest pete.major

Now I didn't expect Mr. Orange to tell us any company secrets - but I did hope that he could clear up persistant speculation with some concrete info. Looks like my expectations were a bit too high?

I'd like to know a few things:

- Why hasn't orange made this "business decision" yet about upgrading to 2003? What exactly are they waiting on: technical details, working version of the OS? Are they testing drivers to see if they're portable? Or are existing users not important enough to justify a few moments of the boards time in making a decision? Or are they afraid of saying no 'cause of a backlash?

Looking at it from a customer perspective, we felt it would be better to have one release rather than two

- Huh? I have a Creative Jukebox and for a long time Creative put out a constant stream of firmware upgrades. Firstly, I saw incremental improvement of my user experience with that product. Secondly, I felt like Creative were working FOR ME the customer... Come on - if there's a problem with 1.6 and you can't release it tell us straight up, but don't make out that I don't want it 'cause I DO!

That said I love my SPV E100, I've only had it for a short time and I'm addicted. If it's not upgradable I'm gonna throw it away in a year and get Orange to subsidize a new phone for me... Upgrade my OS however and I'll keep my phone longer - I'll keep paying line rental and won't ask for an upgrade - how can that be bad for business?

P

Guest Kallisti

I happen to agree that a major software update, aiming to solve every problem should not be back to back with one that solves a few extra problems that the first didn't. However, it's all the wrong approach. Orange should be issuing a fairly constant stream of updates and bugfixes, just as many other firmware based manufacturers do.

As for the last time I updated my ericsson? My T68 had three updates in the year I had it.

Also, lets not forget, Orange are rather less of a player in the SPV than they like to make out. MS do the software, Orange just approve, tweak and release it. The updates have been available from MS for a long time, so long in fact that they've moved onto a totally new version.

And to round up my rant nicely, how insulting is it that Mr. Orange is posting privately on the board (to + members maybe?)? If he has something to say, he should say it to all Orange customers IMHO.

Chill with the uninformed insults Kallisti. Mr Orange has posted 6 times according to my records, 2 in off topic (welcome mr orange thread), 2 in Main (this topic) and 2 in a private admin section of the board.

So don't panic!!

Will

Christ, we've waited over a year!

No we haven't, the phone wasn't released until November. And then there was an update at the end of February. So, since the last update, we've been waiting (so far) a grand total of about 7 months....

Yes, small updates in the meantime would be seen as nice by some of us. But imagine if they gave you an update that screwed your phone. Releasing lots of updates means this is more likely to happen - and if you are then unable to go back to the older version (as is the case if you load A. N. Other's 1.5 update onto your SPV and then try to go back to 1.35 only to find that the "radio" side no longer works - i.e. no phones calls, sms, internet - nothing!) to rectify the problem, then there would be much more uproar...

They are working on a major update to the software - changes to the radio stack. This is more that just a simple tweak - it is an integral part of the phone and crucial to most operating aspects of the phone. Therefore, much testing is required - this I assume they have learnt from rushing out the original release of the SPV and all the abuse and bad reputation they got then from the software being a big, steaming, pile of poo and the customers being *very* unhappy with it! This will have done more damage to Orange's reputation than the slow (or even late) release of an update will - especially if you consider that this software will also have to go into new phones that then roll off the production line.

If Orange get this next release right then it will have been worth waiting for. If they don't then I'll be there with you at the front of the riot shouting abuse ;o)

Hax

Guest morpheus2702

You make it sound as if Orange/MS are a pair of garage firms, with a couple of guys working away on these projects!

Does anyone need to be reminder of the resources that these companies have - that could and SHOULD be deployed on getting Smartphone tip top?

There are a lot smaller companies out there that manage to release a regular stream of updates that improve the user experinece incrementally - so why not these two?

Unless, as I suspect, there really ARE two guys working on this! :wink:

Guest VeryTense

Hi Mr Orange,

I'm new to the site though not an advanced techno warrier, as are some here. 0))

But just a few questions if you can indulge me..

What are the realist prospects for video streaming over the GPRS network at present. Can we expect a usefull service that will provide, say short clips of 20/30 seconds? Will person to person exchange of video over the air be possible eventually..

I gather that the only mobile media-player which is currently interoperiable with all other types is Realnetworks - i.e. the Microsoft media player with all. If true surely this is a large drawback.

What is the purpose of the your Emblaze Player (Orange Swiss) - as at first sight it seems to do much the same job as Microsoft's offering. I'm just guessing, but I assume it's a fill in to do the more advanced Mpeg decoding on handset?

Finally, what are the pospects for receiving TV signals on handsets in the near future? (free?)

Looking forward to your response.

Kindest Regards

Guest Pagemakers
If Orange get this next release right then it will have been worth waiting for.  If they don't then I'll be there with you at the front of the riot shouting abuse ;o) 

Hax

Can I book my ticket for a front row seat now ;)

Now that this thread has descended into chaos (a bit), I would be very interested to see Mr. O's reaction.

Were you aware of the number of misgivings people have with the Orange service? I don't think many people have a problem with the handset itself (I think we all love 'em!), but there is a great deal of dissatisfaction with the service provider.

Are any of these complaints news to Orange (the company I mean)?

Personally Mr. O - did you expect to get a reaction like this from the forum? & is the purpose of your attendance here as an official Orange representative meant to be an actual effort by Orange to communicate better with their customers?

& most importantly, can we expect at any stage to see real, postitive results coming out of threads like this? Or are we all just blowing hot air!!?? :wink:

Guest morpheus2702

Given MoDaCos reputation as the source for all things Smartphone, I would have thought Andy would be visiting purely to get the best feedback and information available!