MS Smartphone Developer Kit and Cingular

Guest midosm

Does anyone out there have a MS Smartphone Developer Kit and actually hooked it up with a carrier? Does it work properly with your carriers GSM chip? Anyone used it on a Cingular network? Many Thanks.

No problems with putting them on carriers though (i.e. orange, vodaphone, etc.)? Do all the features work (GPRS)?

I am looking at buying one from MS, but $500 US is a good bit to spend.

Guest stickman

I have the M$ Dev kit phone. The Compal SC1100. Good phone. Everything works. I am in Atlanta, in the US and use T-Mobile as my carrier. Just dropped my SIM in and everything was fine. You have to configure the network stuff to get on the GPRS, but it works fine. All the info you need is on this site (the greatest Smartphone site in the world I might add). Also, be sure to get the latest Firmware as soon as you get it. Version 1055. The instructions on how to get that update and how to install it are also on this site.

The t-shirt is great the real selling point though. Now I have a t-shirt that actually repells women.

Where did you get the Compal? Did yours come with a cradle? Do you think it is worth it? It seems like it would be a big help with all my travel to have easy access to my contacts, appointments and main e-mail.

Have anything you have not liked about it?

Guest stickman

I do like it, but since it is a BETA piece of equipment, it has its problems. I got it when it first came out mostly because I wanted a Smartphone and it was cheaper then getting the SPV (which was the only other thing available at the time). Also, I thought I would do more development on it then I actually do. I have heard rumors that Everlink will supply us with a cheap or even free upgrade to the SmartPhone 2003 OS when it is available on this phone, but as far as I know that is just a rumor so far. If it does happen, then it would probably be worth it, especially if you are more of a .NET programmer like me.

Bottom line, I absolutely, 100% thnk that the Smartphone is the way to go as far as PDA/Cell Phone integration goes. (I will probably go ahead and buy the first one that hits the US in production that is running SP 2003). This phone might not be your best bet since you have other options right now, unless you are a developer. This phone will let you do anything, whereas a locked phone might not allow you to install some unsigned apps and certainly will not let you install your own apps.

Got it straight from Everlink Wireless. No cradle, but it is a standard-mini USB interface, so you can use on of those zipLinQ USB to car adapters to power it. Pretty slick. The only problem I have had with it is that the AC power does not work anymore. Hardware flaw I guess. Still charges on USB though.

Hope that helps!