.net CF on SmartPhone 2002

Guest NULL

I read in the microsoft.public.smartphone newsgroup that the .net CF will not be supported on the SmartPhone 2002 platform, can anyone confirm this please.

Guest Peter Foot

This is true, .NETCF will be included in ROM on all Smartphone 2003 and future devices, however it will not be released for current Smartphone 2002 devices.

An upgrade to the 2003 OS is physically possible for 2002 devices, however no manufacturer/operator has indicated a decision to do so yet.

Peter

Then again, how big is the problem? There are 3 or 4 devices that use 2002, and those of us that want to use .NET are going to buy a 2003 based device anyway.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest NeilC_MVP

Crispy has hit the nail on the head. The lack of .NET Compact Framework support for Smartphone 2002 is not a big deal. Think about it in realistic terms -- .NET Compact Framework is a v1.0 product. Microsoft Smartphone 2002 is a v1.0 product. It's asking too much that Microsoft support a platform that will soon be deprecated (i.e. Smartphone 2002, not the Smartphone platform as a whole). What is more important is that operators work with Microsoft to make sure that existing hardware has an upgrade path to Smartphone 2003.

Guest chucky.egg
those of us that want to use .NET are going to buy a 2003 based device anyway.

True, but when? I've only had my e100 a few months, I'm not about to upgrade again [at huge cost]

I'd love to be able to produce my own apps, and I expect that there will be a HUGE increase in the number of active developers once it's had a few months to take off.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest moo_ski_doo

It's certainly possible to upgrade from 2002 to 2003, there are two big questions which need answering here tho.

First, have 2002 devices got enough resources (ie. memory) to do this? Most of them have very limited amounts of memory and my guess is that 2003 is gunna be far more memory hungry than 2002.

The second question is whether the providers will allow the upgrade. Some might disagree, but I reckon a lot of providers won't support upgrades simply because they'll lose money - first they'll have to buy licenses for 2003 off Microsoft (although they could pass the cost of this on to us,) and second, if we've all upgraded our phones to 2003 then why bother buying a new phone a few months down the line? (Fair enough, a lot of people will still want that state-of-the-art technology, but plenty of other people will still be happy with their old phone as long as it's got up-to-date software.) On the other hand, some would argue it'd be unfair not to allow us to upgrade - imagine buying a new PC and being told you weren't allowed to run the latest version of Windows on it.

Plenty of successful upgrades have already been done - Microsoft recently published instructions for customers with development-only devices (the devices you get with Microsoft's Smartphone development kit.) The upgrade process looks fairly straightforward, although you might have to be reasonably computer competent to do it (which I'd think most MS Smartphone users probably are.) Unfortunately, the upgrade process will vary from device to device so it's not really possible to use these instructions with most other devices.

Resource issues aside, I'm sure that upgrades will happen. Even if the providers don't support it, all it takes is one clever person to figure out how to do it and spread the word!

Guest NeilC_MVP

In theory, it is possible. The decision as to whether a particular brand of phone is upgradable or not is entirely at the whim of the mobile operator. Many of the Canary/Tanager devices out there are 16MB devices. If the operator decides that their phones will be upgradable, certain sacrifices will have to be made in order to shoe horn the ROM onto the phone.

There's another factor to take into account -- possible revenue streams. Operators aren't going to offer upgrades for their phones if they think they will loose out on the new handset market. If hundreds of subscribers decided they don't want the latest and greatest Smartphone, but would rather download the Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone ROM upgrade and flash their devices, then the operator immediately looses money. You may find that operators, if they are going to offer the upgrade, won't do it for free. They will need to recoup some of the potential revenue lost from you not purchasing a new handset. Also, ROM upgrades are notoriously expensive for operators. Think about the support costs from all the calls they receive when a ROM flash goes wrong.

Yeah, we all would love to see Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone on our Canary/Tanager devices. Whether that will happen or not is another matter, and as things stand, the arguments for offering upgrades aren't very compelling, from the point of view of the mobile operator.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Arnold II

I have a Smartphone 2002 and am fairly new to .NET CF development, but experienced in eVB and a lot of other dev tools.

Before I realized that .NET CF isn't supported in SP2002, I developed a small program. I deployed copying the exe and a txt file, created a shortcut. Ran the program and - it worked!

I then decided to add an icon to the program, but then the program failed to run whatever actions I took. Even a small "Hello world" app wouldn't run.

I then updated myself on the issue and realized that I had done the impossible! My program certainly worked, read from a textfile and created a result after some processing.

What can you guys make of this? I wasn't hallucinating, the program really worked.

Next question: can I deploy the .NET CF on a SP2002 device?

Guest Macker1973

Microsoft and Orange have well and truely screwed the consumer on the .Net and 2003 issue. The SPV is just over a year old and the E100 what less than a year old and already they are not being supported. Theres no reason why MS can provide the .Net framework for 2002 apart from they want to screw more money from the consumer as to run the latest .Net apps you have to pay to upgrade your entire phone.

Remeber its possible to get the .Net framework running on windows 95 and windows NT 4.0. Its now even possible to get .Net apps running on Symbian but not MS own 2002 OS.

My upgrade is now due and my next phone for sure will not be from those rip off merchants Orange or Microsoft.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WillEastbury
The simple answer is no.

Has anyone tried this yet ?

I don't see why I can install it on my IPAQ 3970 (Running Windows CE 3.011171 Build 11178) but not my SPV (Smartphone 2002 - Windows CE 3.00 Build 13121.

All I can see is a space issue, as it would presumably have to install in Flash ...

What's the non-simple answer.

(I want to be able to use Visual Basic.net on the Smartphone . . . . . .)