FAO Mr Orange - Release dates/Processor?

Guest Simon Desser

no SDIO NOW SUPPORT?!?!?!

Looks like I'll continue to wait until M$ gets their head out of their a$$.

With the slower processor, it's an easy decision to wait. Asia is kicking out new smartphones now at quite a rate. Either someone will eventually throw in a measely driver for smartphones to have SDIO Now or I'll wait until somebody does... even if it's Nokia. Wi-Fi in a smartphone is a hell of a lot more useful than bluetooth.

-Mc

Guest midnight

SDIO Now isnt down to MS, the OS supports it, and as far as I know the hardware supoports it, its just up to HTC to develop the drivers for it, and thats possible with a firmware update, something Voq have confirmed for their phone.

As for the slower processor, trust me, both the e200 and the mpx200 will both be considerably quicker than the spv/e100, they have the new OS dont forget andboth have double the ram of the spv/e100

lets reserve judgement on the speed of the e200 until someone actually says its slow shall we ;)

Guest mcwarre
lets reserve judgement on the speed of the e200 until someone actually says its slow shall we ;)

If it is not *SIGNIFICANTLY* faster what is the point? Ooh, new PC, more RAM, better OS, still poor CPU. Errmm, not a good selling point really is it??????????????

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

More optomised basis to the entire OS, more efficient, more effiectively impletemented drivers etc.

Regardless of the CPU i am still very excited about the E200 (and its Bluetooth capabilities!)

Guest Martin@Home

Well :cry: Thats the final straw for me I'm afraid.......

I shall wait til the new nokia 6600 comes out and then jump ship..

I cant sit for another year and prove another new OS if the handset I get runs at the same speed as the current one.

I want a phone that works now. I've lost count of the times I've said to someone I'm trying to show the phone off to "Hang on, thats hung now, wait 5 minutes while I take the battery out and reboot" !!

The thing I was clinging on to was a much more powerfull handset running a new improved OS. As far as I can tell, all we are now getting is a fekkin expensive software update. Sure its got some new hardware but not stuff that hasn't been available for the last year on lots of other handsets. :cry: :cry:

Guest morpheus2702

Microsoft must have the demographic of the Smartphone user as 'early adopter and apologist of mobile computing products willing to accept incremental improvements, backward steps, pig ugly designs masquerading as innovation, old processors...'

:x

same old hardware with just an optimized OS? then the decision is REAL simple. Get my hands on an original HTC phone and wait until someone figures out how to put 2003 on it. I hate bluetooth and I do without the built-in camera.

So basically, what we're seeing in the SPV2 is same old hardware, new OS (which will probably not be available so they can sell more hardware) and bluetooth and integrated camera.

Hmmmm.... not really worth it if you ask me. For those with no smartphone, they may prefer the later model but for the early adopters (and bug testers), it's a joke. You'd think for all the bug fixing 2003 would be available to everyone...

-Mc

Guest midnight

simple question, have you used the e200? no, didnt think so, so how the hell can you slag it off without even trying it ;)

reports are its faster, more stable, has more ram, built in camera, bluetooth (how you can hate it i dont know), all in all a much improved phone over the e100, this is NOT the same hardware, its similar admittedly, but processor isnt be all and end all regarding speed. Improvements in radio stack/software, and change/increase in ram, and even a different filesystem (TFAT) are pretty major improvements.

I've tried the E200 for a couple of days and it is defintately a super phone. I'd recommend it to anyone from what Ive seen till now - and it will replace my soon to be one year old Canary ASAP.

/Jakob

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Midnight,

are you an engineer? What's the differences hardware wise between the two (other than the same ol' reply of BLUETOOTH!!!!!!!!!! and INTEGRATED CAMERA!!!!!!!!! - we've really seen those already. No really). I understand there's more RAM. Big deal. I've been a PocketPC user since the days of the e100 and I know how much speed increase was a result of more RAM - NONE.

So unless there's some significant change in the hardware, and obviously if they are still using the same processor since the original HTC prototype there isn't, the speed increase is due to the OS. This argument is also backed up with the new 1.6 which gives better battery life and speeds up the SMART phone some. Or did they get new hardware with that OS upgrade magically?

End result, an e100 with the same OS would be just as fast as the e200 but wouldn't have the BLUETOOTH!!!!!! and INTEGRATED CAMERA!!!!!!! that most of us could care less about.

We've already seen confirmation that there is an 2003 OS upgrade but whether it will be available to the public in some legal fashion is yet to be determined. Gee, there's a Microsoft shocker for ya... - trying to sell an upgrade as a new OS after the public bug tested it for them.

Until I see 2003 running side by side on an e100 and an e200, we should all assume that the speed increase is because of the OS. So with that in mind, is it worth it to you to pay the extra money for the e200 when sooner or later, someone will have a 2003 OS upgrade for the original smartphones? THAT'S the key question here...

-Mc

Guest Richie M

oh dear McHale you seem to of missed the whole point about the specs of the E200 ](*,)

2k3 will always run faster on the E200 than the E100 because it has 1) MORE RAM 2)IT HAS NAND RAM which runs much faster than Estrada RAM that is in the E100.

Also there will (probably) be no 2k3 upgrade for the E100 (see http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=94184)

Guest midnight

but part of the point is (surely) that if it is the os thats speeded it up, and it is much faster, then what is the need to upgrade the processor?

if 132mhz is completely fine running it, then whats teh point? should Nokia have put a faster processor in the 3650 after releasing the 7650, or even more recently, the 3660, all three have the same processor, yet we know 2 of them sold millions (and the 3660 will prolly do the same). Bluetooth for a majority of people is very important, as is built in camera (more camera phones are sold than any other phone), and even though the reports are no SDIO Now, this actually isnt true, the hardware supports it, the software supports it, ists only down to drivers, which i'm sure we'll get.

NAND ram is used in the e200, and dont forget, extra ram decreases the possibility of crashes and the dreaded egg timer through lack of ram.

Well at least we know the E200 will be out before december, I rekon one of the major deadlines for release in this country is getting the Bluetooth enabled phones out to users who don't want to be caught using their handsets whilst operating a car when the new law comes into play.

Looking forward to the BT for other reasons as well, genrally sounds good in my book, have already put my name on the list for pre-order. I presume their will be handsets available straight away for upgrade customers?

Guest spacecowboy6982

Wowsers, wot a debate this has turned out to be ! I dont wont to say anything, with fear of getting my head chomped off !! What I will say, and this doesnt just apply to mobile phones (because thats all it really is) is; dont knock it till you've tried it ! Play a mates if he's lucky enough to have one, get a demo. of it when its out in the orange shop. You just gotta give these things a chance. If we assessed every new product that went our onto the market this way, we'd still have out 3210's !!!

SpaceCowboy

Guest Simon Desser
... dont knock it till you've tried it ! Play a mates if he's lucky enough to have one, get a demo. of it when its out in the orange shop. You just gotta give these things a chance. If we assessed every new product that went our onto the market this way, we'd still have out 3210's !!!SpaceCowboy

Well said :!:

(Bluetooth and integrated camera are enough reason for me to get one, anything extra is just icing on the cake ;))

according to Smart-UP (who seems to be more in tune than many on here),

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...2585&highlight=

"I can tell you that the processor speed is 200mhz and it is possible to upgrade the MPX-200 to SMartphone 2003 but as to this upgrade actually being available to everyone (i.e. outside the trade) is not yet clear."

Let's see... all PocketPC's are OS upgradeable. The smartphones are obviously flash upgradeable. We already see an HTC phone running 2003... and it isn't the SPV2.

So obviously, 2003 on the original smartphones is do-able. Now the question again is, how much faster is the SPV2 vs. the SPV with them both running the same OS?

I'm telling you, the new memory isn't going to me THAT much of a difference. Trust me... A "good" OS makes the difference. Maybe we'll see one before 2005 for the smartphone. So far, they are only, "better."

As far as bluetooth, those who use it and like it, great. But I've been testing the crap for a couple years now and most of it has flawed drivers or don't match the specs or who knows what else the reason is why it doesn't work reliably.

Integrated camera - if you need a camera, you need it integrated. I want it integrated. But if I can get an original SPV for 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the SPV2, I'm going with the original. There WILL be an OS upgrade available for the original...

-Mc

The proc. speed of the E200 is 132mhz, that´s what the Orange internal spec sheets say.

As written in the other post Richie relates to; The version of Windows Mobile used for E200 which Microsoft and Orange are finishing at present time cannot run on the Canary nor the Tanager - because of the ram chipset. There might - off course - be a chance that someone would start selling the Smartphone 2003 used for Dopod 515, but I don´t think so..

btw - I´ve been going through some of the files in the windows mobile and you do not find pocket excel spredsheets in the windowsdirectory (as with Smartphone 2002) and you do not find piles of unused imagefiles in windowsdirectory.

Remember - the old Smartphone 2002 was based on a windows kernel originally written for a desktop pc!! - the Windows Mobile is written specifically for -- ta da -- a Mobile.

And for what I´ve seen till now ( & I´ve used the E200 for 4 days)

- there´s absolutely no idea in having a faster processor - its simply waste of good battery.

/Jakob

Guest midnight

It isnt up to HTC though, its up to Orange, they provide the upgrade/update path for the SPV, so lets hope they do provide an upgrade.

It has been known for some time that the upgrade is possible on the spv and e100, the question is, how does it run, is it fast, is there enough memory to run everything well etc. (is the whole reason for the 2k3 phones that are announced all have 32mb coincidence? or is that the new minimum spec to run wm2k3 properly?)