Orange unveils SPV E200

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest morpheus2702

Yeah it will be interesting because we will no longer be comparing different versions of Smartphone 2002 - Windows Mobile 2003 and all bets are off! :wink:

Guest midnight

i would 'think' that battery life is similar, processor is the same, ram is increased (but shouldnt affect battery life), screen is same, there really aint that much difference, radio is prolly slightly improved, os should not affect battery life too much in my opinion, but heres wishing eh? ;)

"]Well i've had the pleasure today of having a play with the SPV E200 ;)

So,

Anything you want to know? Ask me here! :D

P

So can you tell me all about it please. I want one. I use a Ipaq 3870 at present and would like to have one unit rather than two. What are your comments Mate ??

Regards Kevin

It is not possible to upgrade because of the different kind of ram used. Regarding the batterytime - we'll have to wait and see - the software hasnt been finished yet.

/jakob

Posted from my E200!

Guest Paul [MVP]

The SPV CAN run 2003, it's as simple as that.

Whether carriers choose to make the switch is up to them.

The speed of the OS is no great change - an SPV running 2003 would not feel any faster... but the increase in memory from 16MB to 32MB does make a big difference.

There are a number of improvements to the new base OS that while they won't necessarily hugely improve performance per se, they should reduce frequency of egg timer situations.

These include file system optimisations, support for different memory types etc.

Driver optimisation - including things like the radio stack - are key to both performance and battery life.

A number of people have mentioned to me privately how sweet the Moto runs purely because their driver and radio stacks are super stable and super optimised.

Hopefully HTC have had similar success with the E200 - and I know for a fact that they have made significant performance gains through driver tuning since early 'Voyager' prototypes. This may well include battery life.

With regards to the MMS client, this represents a great example of how we - the customers - can influence the development of the OS.

Not too put too fine a point on it, MS didn't realise during the original OS development that MMS would become so important. Carrier and customer feedback told them that this was something sorely needed, and Microsoft acted.

To enable speedy integration into the new OS, MS purchased the client from a third party - not EZOS! - but then integrated it into the pocket outlook application for smartphone at the lowest level, also modifying the look and feel to provide a consistent UI.

I'm on my way back from Heathrow now, but if anyone wants to interrogate me about the new device, catch me in 'chat' over the next few days!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Paul [MVP]

From my own testing, I can confirm that while a lot of software DOES work without modification, some does not.

However, the changes for the new OS are in many cases straightforward, and indeed many developers have working 2003 versions waiting in the wings - some as a result of my testing :-)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

In response to Curly's question - can a E200 replace an iPaq, the question is 'What do use it for?'

When I got my first smartphone, for me, it immediately replaced my Pocket PC - since I used it only as an address book, calendar and mail device!

Some people I know use Tom Tom Navigator and the like, so a Smartphone wouldn't be an all in one solution for them.

My advice would be to list what you use your Pocket PC for, what you use your phone for, and see if the smartphone is the converged device you need.

If not, maybe the awesome XDA2, which I also had the pleasure of using, is the answer?

Finally, don't forget the things that the smartphone can do that your Pocket PC currently doesn't - mobile imaging, one handed operation, compact - by comparison - size, and take that into account!

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

FWIW, having seen the blue backlight on the keys, I think I prefer the Red - goes better with the MoDaCo homescreen too!

Other than that, I really like the look of the new device.

The joystick is no longer such a dust trap, and is super-smooth to use!

The Moto definitely looks nicer in the flesh, but will be a nightmare to keep clean! It has a piano black finish that shows all the marks - fingerprints etc - and I for one am obsessive about my phone being spotless - I have enough trouble with my piano black piano at home!

I'm also concerned at the plastic over the external screen on the moto.

Every device I have seen has been quite severely scratched on this area, so maybe it's worth sticking a write-shield like protective covering on it before using it!

Finally, the belt pouch that i've seen for the Moto is very smart, lets hope Orange give us something half decent with the E200!

P

Paul,

Have they fix the annoying "feature" where, if you receive a call when the phone is locked, it stays on the call in progress screen until you unlock the phone and press back.

Also, have you tried any of the emulators on it. Does, for example, GNUBoy give you a higher Frames Per Second figure.

Guest MoRFLeZ
Are you sure the MMS client is a native one? Heard from MS that they won't release their native MMS client so soon. :shock:

The MMS Client is not the same as on the SPV and SPV E100 ...

Guest mike-oh

With regards battery life.... i read somewhere on here that it's using the newer lithium polymer battery as opposed to the lithium ion batteries in our SPV. With all else being equal i would guess that would result in a better battery life.

Any idea on how much this little gem is likely to cost us?

Just asked Orange and they said that they wont know pricing until the retail date 27/10. But they think somewhere in the £150 range.

Question will be what price Orange will charge for upgrades/within 12month upgrades (if at all) and the fact that they will no doubt have to shift lots of the old E100's.

Maybe Mr Orange could help? I maybe lucky and get a corporate deal as Orange are coming in early Nov to sell handsets on corp tarrifs and Im hoping to leverage something from that! Esp with Voodo-phone there as well! Good healthy competition! :)

Thankgod they have stopped taking delivery!

I think the E200 can still record messages, but the button on the side is for the camera, theres a previous post on it. As for recording messages, cant remember if my E100 can as I've never tried but Nokia got round the law by it beeping every 5 seconds so the other caller knew something was going on.

Guest samo123_uk

ahh so the 27/10 is the real release date?

Sweet thats only a week or so away :)

And if orange want to get rid of the e100's what they could do is sell it on Pay As You Go for £190 or something!

Guest midnight

Now, this is interesting (from an e200/2k3 speed point of view)

as we know, the e200 is an enhanced spv, and has been critisised for not having a faster processor, now, we know that the os can make some difference, and we also know that extra ram helps, so, check out these reults for java benchmarking....

jbenchmark

ok, no e200, but, e200 is basically a redesigned dopod (also runs 2k3, 32mb ram, 32mb rom, same 132mhz processor) and look how far ahead of the mitac 8390 it is (2k3, 32mb ram, 32mb rom, and 200MHZ). And, it is java, which i have a personal hatred towards, so i dont know how good these results are as a test of speed of the actual device.

ok, it isnt a proper comparison, cos this is the dopod device, not an actual e200, but i would think they'd be similar. Oh, and as a point of interest, have a look how badly the original SPV does with its lack of ram and 2k2.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.