Do not experiment on SPV without knowing what to do!

Guest florin_m

Guest cyrilthefish

Just tried backing up windows CE to my 128MB MMC card.

It worked, but nothing will read the contents of the card afterwards without formatting it :D

i tried the XDA ROM image tool to read the card, but i just get the message 'Did not find correct flash signature, aborting!'

i think the utility may need to be re-written to read cards written by the SPV. which is a shame, as i want a backup of the ROM incase i break it somehow! (i flashed my old siemens phone on at least 10 different occaisions, leaving it at some points unable to even charge the battery, let alone boot!)

EDIT: It just occured to me that it might not have worked because i used a MMC card instead of a SD card. does someone want to try an SD card and see if it works? (i only have a 8MB SD card, not big enough)

Guest steddy

cyrilthefish

Just use WinHex and open the physical device name for your SD card (e.g. PhysicalDisk5).

This works and I have viewed the contents of the ROM dump.

Steddy

Guest DJHope

What we really need is someone with a certifiably uncrippled fone to use a hex editor to dump their rom image :D But according to florin if you screw this up your fone is fried ! Nice :(

Still their must be someone willing todo it, maybe someone wiv insurance could try it and if it screws up throw it under a bus, surely thats a legitamate reason after all it is accidental damage cover too.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Here's an interesting thought...

Can you dump the OPER area of the XDA using the bootloader? (This is where I believe the app lock is stored)?

If so, can you then restore it to the SPV?

As long as you take a back up of the OPER area of the SPV first to a different SD then there's no danger of killing your phone :D

P

Guest Arisme

Since some people are experimenting here, some tips that you may find useful :wink:

1) The App Locking is in the registry - it's the key HKLMSecurityPoliciesPolicies001006, as specified in the Smartphone 2002 SDK ...

This registry is stored in the IPSM (it's the first partition) - however it's compressed somehow ... if this compression format can be reversed, you can remove the app locking (or, in a more convenient way, add your own certificates) very easily, and after that you just need to reflash the IPSM, which is perfectly safe (if you mess it up, you can always reformat the IPSM from the bootloader)

I'd say that it looks like a LZSS algorithm (with the flag reverted : 0 meaning store, 1 meaning expand), but I need to investigate more to find out the beginning and size of the ring buffer and the registry checksum.

Any suggestion is welcome.

2) Otherwise you can remove the signature validation directly from the kernel, and reflash ... it's trivial (read, a cracker job) if you have a look at WinCE 3.0 sources kindly provided by Microsoft

Of course the reverser way (1) is better, both legally and technically ... but a bit more difficult :wink:

Some links

LZSS compression

http://www.mbhs.edu/classes/compsci/compme.../kdoherty/lzss/

IPSM User Guide http://www.intel.com/design/flcomp/manuals...ls/29813604.pdf

Windows CE shared source program

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/...rce/default.asp

Guest DJHope

Thats very intresting, when you install an app it has the ability to modify the registry using the xml file (which dosnt need to be signed) cant you do it that way or are their some areas of the registry which get reflashed after every restart? im just grabbing at straws here dont flame me if im totaly wrong :D

Guest Arisme

Of course, this application would need to be signed (it would even need to be signed by the "trusted" certificate to change these system registry keys) - and the special pushed XML file would need to be signed too in order to be accepted by the push router - that's why I want to do it on the IPSM dump :wink:

(you have a precise description of how the registry is handled here http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ybasedinram.asp - basically the *full* registry is dumped on the IPSM and restored in RAM at each boot)

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest gnagis
Do not do experiment with ur SPV unless u know what u doing!

U can DAMAGE your phone realy bad !!! If u are unlucky to erase the pboot zone, then ur phone even will NOT BOOT UP!!!Then u'll have to send back to HTC or me to fix it! the phone will need to be "forced" in boot mode! Trust me i done it allready!!!

!

HEY! how did you do that ?? my gf broke my E100 some way and it wont do anything more then go to canary screen and yes i can hard reset.. but still when i press power after that nothing hapens.. also the "charging" light wont show up when i put in the charger and it wont start up if i dont press REC buton to get to canary screen....

Guest Geeklord

Here's my two cents.

I think what Ms. Florin_M is doing borders on revolutionary. Here we have a person who is willing to challenge the accepted way of (in this case) using a gadget. What we see as a fairly advanced mobile computing and communication device, she views as a jump off point to who knows what else. Sure there are a tremendous lot of obstacles, among these the nay-sayers: I've read people say that it can't be done, you can't use it as a phone, you won't earn anything, and what have you. But if you think about it, it can be done, she's doing it. maybe not 100% smooth sailing, but bugs can be worked out, scripts can be revised, programs can be edited. And who cares if you can't use it as a phone for now if you can use it as a holo-communicator later. If anything, she has already earned my respect and admiration as I'm sure that of her peers in the days to come. If it weren't for people like her, we'd still be living on a flat planet in a geo-centric universe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest schriss
Can someone provide the pictures, it seems the pictures have been removed. I would love to see thes pictures of the spv running linux.

Thanks

Rctempire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I prefer to run spvDOS on mine 8)

Guest schriss
OK!

But come up with some screens ! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here you go 8)

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do with it but it works ;)

just put your program in the dir, add command to the conf file to auto run this program and that's it.

Too bad there are no new improved versions on spvDOS, it would be great if it was made to use dual core capabilities of OMAP850 and enable more control over the run program. Currently you can just type numbers. "1" is exit as far as I remember. Or some other single number followed by enter.

post-9037-1136153570_thumb.gif

Edited by schriss

• 1 month later...
Guest Zweisteine

I want to see the pictures of linux running on SPV as well.

I'm 90% sure florin_m is lying through his teeth (i'm also sure it's a he - 'florin' is a man name), to get fools to send their phones to him to 'get linux on it'.

Guest awarner [MVP]

You are also 90% wrong and need to get your facts right before making claims you know nothing about :)

The images were lost when the site was updated and we stopped using phpbb

unfortunately we lost a load of images and links etc :D

Guest Zweisteine

I could only extract facts by following this thread, and my conclusion was stated above. However, to be 100% sure instead of 90% sure, i wanted to see the pictures :)

Thanks for the information.

Edited by Zweisteine

Guest fluffcat1
I want to see the pictures of linux running on SPV as well.

I'm 90% sure florin_m is lying through his teeth (i'm also sure it's a he - 'florin' is a man name), to get fools to send their phones to him to 'get linux on it'.

Another newbie 'expert' calling someone a liar just because they can't fathom / manage to do what other people have done with their phones already. There is a big linux movement for HTC phones, including ports to PPC's, as well as the typhoon. If you knew anything about the ins and outs of doing it you would already know this, you obviously don't so your statement "I'm 90% sure florin_m is lying through his teeth" means nothing as you obviously know nothing and is only insulting to Florin, who has, by the way, written several tools to unlock and modify smartphones already and has nothing to prove to any of us. Just because you can't manage it doesn't mean it isn't possible. Don't expect any help getting it to work if you try it yourself....

Richard

Guest Zweisteine

I'm sorry.

You're right, fluffcat1, and awarner. It was wrong of me to judge florin only by what i've read here. I think it would have been better of me to keep my opinion to myself.

If she still reads this topic, I apologise again. I'll shut up now.

Edited by Zweisteine