Update on the 1.6 Build

Guest Mr Orange

Guest barncourt

BUGS that I found :

- the sound "Start up" is not however audible... it goes very well on the QTEK 1.50.9.1

- when the foward call is active and I reboot the SPV, the arrow however does not appear... it's not normal.

- when the telephone is lock, keys of volume are active

:evil:

Hmm... My SPV has never made a sound at start up - must be something specific to QTEK? The second has always been a problem with SPV and is not particular to the build. If the keylock is engaged, I'd expect all keys to be locked (including the volume keys).....

It certainly seems to be a stable build. Even with all my apps re-installed the phone is still keeping good pace....

There are still some annoying bugs evident in the build which I'm slightly disappointed they've not fixed. The one which is most annoying is adjusting the volume of the call in progress. You have to press "Done" on the keypad before it will permit DTMF tones to be generated. Very frustrating if you are on an automated phone service, adjust the volume of the call and then forget to hit "Done"... Pressing the number keys to select options offered by the automated call service has no effect until "Done" is selected.

I note that the site in the NL has now pulled the plug - presuambly at the request of Orange... I reckon someone had better come up with a good excuse for posting it...

On the plus side, given it is now in the public domain and a few people have installed it, perhaps Orange could use the opportunity to thrash out the last few minor glitches before the final version is released.

Or am I being optimistic?

Guest LAMBERTJ08
Hmm... My SPV has never made a sound at start up - must be something specific to QTEK?  The second has always been a problem with SPV and is not particular to the build. If the keylock is engaged, I'd expect all keys to be locked (including the volume keys).....

In the ROM's Orange, there is a ringing "Start up" but this one is "inaudible"... it is a BUG :!:

This one is very beautiful on the QTEK :wink:

This sound is on the SMART too...

As regards the arrow of foward call... it however goes well with the ROM 1.5 CH... I have tested :wink:

It's a BUG too :shock:

... it's not a problem with the SPV... it's the build :!:

Paul ? Mr Orange ? Normal or not :?:

Guest mattscholey

Would be surprised if this isn't on some dodgy place now that it's been leaked. Don't forget that we don't know how old this 'testing verson' is, and many of these bugs could have already been fixed. But it does sound like a good improvement over the current version. (I haven't downloaded it - id rather wait.)

Matt

Guest statscat

This is not the official ROM, its was leaked by what appears to be an employee, as I have said the ROM may well appear to work on the surface but there must be a reason why Orange haven't realeased it (there is no advantage to them witholding, they are missing the gprs from MSN as much as you are missing using it).

I would suggest that people do not use it, the site has been removed by the ISP and the link now produces a 404, this means at a guess ROange took action (pretty quickly too) which makes me think it is proabably detrimental to "phones" that install it.

Just because MSN works and you get a few more apps DOES NOT MEAN the ROM is safe, stable or secure, this is further supported by the fact that people have had problems unlocking there phone (are there IMEI issues ???????????)

I would like to think that people who have download the ROM will not continue to spread it, as it is technically pirated software, and its use etc carries with it different penalties depending on your country, as for the phone saying "test only not for sale" ...thats says it all.

If you are going to upgrade your ROMS u need to do so from a trusted source, so Orange users should only get ROMS distributed from the Orange website appropriate to that country as they are different and certian function may not be available (e.g. different encryption laws in France).

Leaked ROMS are appealing as it give the "buzz" of beign the first, but is it worth the risk ?

A. to your phone

b. to you (could you technically be in receipt of stolen goods ?)

think you just about covered it ? :roll:

I for one certainly wont be installing it even though I am fed up with the way Orange have dealt with the issue of updating and fixing the crap rom we have at present.

I don't use MSM but I know theres enough "Smart-Sters"who do and thats reason enough in my opinion to at least be tempted.

Although I do not totally agree with the pirate software aspect, I would imagine that the fact that it's not possible to app-unlock the rom at present once installed would surely be reason enough to leave well alone.

Nuf said......but I suppose each to their own I guess.

nixy

Guest HurricaneDave

actually i would have to agree that as its an orange update then they will have some kind of ownership over parts of its contents and using a leaked pre release rom is the same as using a beta copy of windows media player or longhorn blablabla it IS illegal and DOES carry different penalties depending on your country

if you take the risk and install...and don't like it, just like the last SAP rom, it seems kinda irreversable! so you're stuck with an app locked rom!  

Will

Not really, check out this post by Dumdidum two pages back :

I found a way back to another image.........................!

First download the update which you want to install

unrar it with WINRAR.

Then start again the update 1.63 and proceed until he says that he will now update!

At this point, copy the NK.nbf-File from your update to the this directory: C:Program FilesRUU_ORG_NL

there it should replace the 1.63-NK.nbf!

then he will install the version you want instead of 1.63!

SUPER!

:lol: Should be put in the "how to" section, this is brilliant advice !

Guest awarner [MVP]

According to Gears, not till December ;)

If that's the case, I'll wait, I'd rather have my phone as it is now than app locked :roll:

And hopefully I'll have an E200 before then :lol:

I don't know where Gears got this from but the UK1.6 can be software, application, decerted unlocked etc, I should know I've done it enough times :roll:

Guest HurricaneDave

so when the update is released on :shock: wednesday :shock:

i will be able to use the developers method to decert :?:

now that is very good to hear :lol:

Guest Simon Desser
I don't know where Gears got this from but the UK1.6 can be software, application, decerted unlocked etc, I should know I've done it enough times :roll:

That's good news :lol: , but I can confirm that the OTA unlock doesn't seem to work for this 1.63 NL ROM :?

Guest Pagemakers
I software unlocked UK1.61 from www.deveolopers.orange.com about 4 hours ago...

That's encouraging to note. Earlier on in this thread it was quoted ....."According to Gears, not till December"

Guest Drug_Store

I guess that people that are stuck with this new version, need to downgrade the bootloader to 0.93 by SD/MMC card.

I had same problem about a month ago with Smart 1.6 from Phillipines... :roll: But now I got a SD/MMC with 0.93 and can downgrade anytime.