Update on the 1.6 Build

Guest Mr Orange

Guest bobroberts

Paul,

as you're certain that the update is not arriving today, would you have any idea of when the update is likely to appear. Ball park, informed guess type thing would do.

Seems bonkers that they had a 1.5 build with a few bugs ages ago and yet still no 1.6. They must be losing stacks of cash from people not being able to use gprs. I know I can't. Not reliably anyway.

What's up Orange?

neil (bobroberts2001)

Guest Shuflie
Although if you go to the orange site now and try the SPV UK link from the SPV pages it directs you to an out of date page... Maybe they're in the process of updating the website (bad design mind you that it sends you to a broken link ;-))

cheers

Andy

If you look at where they were trying to redirect you to it was a page to get you to buy the E100. As its no longer on sale from the orange website that's why its out of date.

They must be losing stacks of cash from people not being able to use gprs. I know I can't. Not reliably anyway.

What's up Orange?

neil (bobroberts2001)

GPRS is pre-paid mainly, so how can Orange lose loads of cash?

I use GPRS daily and most of the time it works fine. I don't have a big problem with it.

All I want is my SPV to send and receive SMS and voice calls reliably. How difficult can that be?

Guest hecatae
@hecatae

you replaced the .nbk file too early.. start the update in the 3 screen mode.. and then copy the .nbk file just before you klick on "upgrade" !!

that will work !!

?

phone is 3 screen mode, i replaced the file and clicked on update, does not work, will try one more time before i give up.

Guest LAMBERTJ08

Orange DK : "MSN Messenger opdatering til Orange SPV og SPV E100

For at sikre den højeste grad af sikkerhed for brugerne, opdaterer Microsoft den 15. oktober deres .NET Messenger Service, hvilket betyder at kunder der ønsker at benytte MSN Messenger med SPV eller SPV E100 er nødsaget til at installere ny software på disse telefoner.

Orange planlægger at gøre den nødvendige opgradering tilgængelig med en ny software version, der lanceres i begyndelsen af december.

Microsoft og Orange beklager de begrænsninger dette midlertidigt vil medføre.

Tjek venligst siderne om SPV eller SPV E100 regelmæssigt for yderligere information."

DECEMBER !!!! Pffff :evil:

Great, and now once more for all us folks that DO speak englisch  :roll:

Read the big print at the bottom

DECEMBER (and I think the Danish words before it mean "beginning of")

:?

Guest HurricaneDave
how have you managed to get urself 10 meg for just 4 quid mate...:?

I take it its not with Orange....????

I thinks its orange open acces mate :?:

£4 for 10mb per month of wap over gprs :!:

as far as i am aware it is only for wap access and not full full internet access via pocket ie :shock:

..............I thought after reading hecatae £4 for 10Mb info that I was missing something because I use my E100 pocket ie via GPRS all the time.

Oh.....well........(sighs)

........While I think about it........(thinks :?: )

I recently signed up to the low rate OrangeWorld bundle, and was wondering if the change in the Orange GPRS prices had anything to do with the MoDaCo petition....????

Anyone know.....??

Guest hecatae

I thinks its orange open acces mate :?:

£4 for 10mb per month of wap over gprs :!:

as far as i am aware it is only for wap access and not full full internet access via pocket ie :shock:

which is free with orange square deal.

but it works with msn, so i'm not complaining. :lol:

Guest lindsc1

As interesting as GPRS is and getting it for less, which is something we all want! What I really want to know is when this 1.6 Update will be released!! :cry:

Come on someone must know something! Even if we're told it will be 2 weeks! Well at least we'd know and I'd stop getting my hopes up that it will be released tomorrow (and no jokes! I do know tomorrow never comes!!) *laughing*

Or at least lock this thread as every time I see a new reply I think it's an update on where things are at!!!

Chris

I have to say that I agree with the general feeling of discontent on here wrt the 1.6 update. We've been promised updates for a hell of a long time and still we have nothing. We've been told that the software is in test by the mods here and they haven't found any problems with it. So, we all *know* that a new version of software *will* be coming to us, but no-one's telling us when.

Quite frankly, this sucks big time. My SPV crashed on me last week and I had to hard reset it to get it going again. But, rather than putting back all the software, contacts and the like, I thought I'd wait a while as Orange have promised the 1.6 update by mid November - that's exactly what it says on their website. Now, to me, the middle of November is the 15th. To be generous, I'll split the month into 3 and therefore say that the "mid" section is from the 10th to the 20th. Still, we have nothing... Why do Orange make such public claims if they clearly have no intention of sticking to it. They haven't even updated their website to reflect a new time. People (mods even) in here are saying "mid to late November" - why should we belive that any more than we "believed" the 19th November date?

I just wish that someone would pull their finger out and commit to a date of releasing this fix - maybe then I'll be happy with my SPV and be able to use some of the major features that it is advertised as having - you know that little thing they call GPRS.

Hax

P.S. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the mods in here - they've been asked/told not to give out any more details than they already have. This is just my rant and is directed wholly at Orange as a company - they suck

Slightly Of topic perhaps, but I've mailed Qtek and they have admitted to being in the process of developing a 1.6 ROM which would be available "in a few weeks"..

Since I am VERY pleased with Qtek's 1.50.9.1 and equally displeased with Orange in generall I'm considering withstanding the urge to upgrade to Orange's 1.61 (providing it ever comes out) and waiting for Qtek. Gonna be hard but most likely worth the wait :lol:

Guest djfuego

Shouldn't orange allow an upgrade so consumers that bought the E200 within a short time period could upgrade for a cheaper price or for free?

I'd like to be able to upgrade the software because I don't need the cam and bluetooth.

But this is the vicious MS upgrade circle.

It sux ass that 2003 will work on the hardware but you can't buy the upgraded OS

Shouldn't orange allow an upgrade so consumers that bought the E200 within a short time period could upgrade for a cheaper price or for free?  
this would be excluding regular cmrs, so it would be discrimination. And besides that, it would be an awful bad marketing strategy if you really think about it 8)

I'd like to be able to upgrade the software because I don't need the cam and bluetooth.  

But this is the vicious MS upgrade circle.  

correction: it is not MS who decides this, it is Orange who decide whether they do it or not.

It sux ass that 2003 will work on the hardware but you can't buy the upgraded OS

Who says you can't, and who says they 're not working on it? It is possible, just look at the developer phone upgrade. It is just up to Orange (or Qtek or I-Mate) to launch it.

Guest JampoTT

The date (I reckon) stems from back in Mid October when Orange / Microsoft saw fit to deny MSN access.....

At that time, I spoke to Orange CS, and they were quoting ONE MONTH downtime of MSN, which would have put the date squarely around 15th-20th November (can't exactly remember when it happened, but I'm sure you'll know!!)

The rumour was, the original 1.6 upgrade was delayed to ensure the MSN functionality could be added in, and the final date was to be last/this week sometime.....

Guest morpheus2702

From the Orange UK website this very minute:

Orange have taken all steps to minimise any impact to customers and are committed to delivering innovative communications capabilities. We plan to distribute the software fix for this in mid-November 2003.

Still saying mid-November!

Big fat liars!

Guest Pagemakers

If the E200 has the same software as the forthcoming 1.6 update, maybe this is one of the reasons they are holding back. Some of the issues have not been fixed even in the E200.