Dark Colored skins save battery power?

Guest red_rolla

Guest red_rolla

is it proven that using dark colored skins/backgrounds/color schemes save up on battery power? :-k

does it take more power to make white or lighter colors appear on our SAP screens vs. black or darker colors? :-k

i think it's not... as long as your display lights up, it then starts consuming power... but correct me if i'm wrong... that's only my opinion... :)

EDIT:

@zxt

yan, edited na... sencia na kung wrong grammar... tao lang na nagkakamali...

Guest grifter

it doesn't matter. even black pixels consume the same amount of battery power as any other color.

and even if your background is all black, the backlight is still on.

Guest red_rolla

so this goes back to the basic question... can we reduce the intensity of the backlight? :)

i read in the forum that it's not... ON and OFF states lang. and there's still even no DIM mode which we can control from the registry.

Sana ang Smartphone 2003 already has these control knobs which we could use. When & paano kaya yung upgrade method ng SP2003 no?

@randy

what i want to say is, "i don't think it's not" saving power...:)

andun na rin naman kasi sa tanong niya yung "save up on battery power"... :(

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest grifter
so this goes back to the basic question... can we reduce the intensity of the backlight?  :)  

i read in the forum that it's not... ON and OFF states lang. and there's still even no DIM mode which we can control from the registry.

Sana ang Smartphone 2003 already has these control knobs which we could use. When & paano kaya yung upgrade method ng SP2003 no?

if there is no provision for backlight intensity control in the hardware, I don't think it's possible via software.

but there are 2 backlight states -- full brightness and dim setting.

there's a software that can control the brightness of the SAP. pocket mvp allows you to control your screen's brightness when you're watching a video. i wonder why that feature hasn't been made into a program in and of itself and would take effect even when the program isn't running itself.

Guest sweetyls

i thought dark homescreens really consume less battery power. hindi ba? owel.. i like my homescreen anyway.

what dim setting? there's a dim setting for sap?

Guest grifter

before your SAP turns it's LCD off after inactivity, it will go through the dim backlight stage, then the no backlight stage and finally the LCD will go to sleep.

@rodnav,

I haven't tried the dimmer function in PMVP. does it have variable dim settings like the brightness function of CRT monitors?

@randy

what i want to say is, "i don't think it's not" saving power...:)

andun na rin naman kasi sa tanong niya yung "save up on battery power"... :(

Sorry bro pero magulo pa rin.

Dapat siguro, "I dont think its saving power" or "I think its not saving power"

Kasi kung "I dont think its not saving power" then it means you agree with the question "is it proven that using dark colored skins/backgrounds/color schemes save up on battery power?

"I dont think its not saving power" means it does save power right? Remember, two negatives makes it a positive.

I'm just making things simple to understand.

Guest lspatricio

correct me if i'm wrong. The "pixel" of the LCD is a combination of R,G &B. The combination of the "dimness" and "brightness" of these three components is what's responsible for the different colors that we see. Black means all three colors are off and white means all three are on. In between are the other colors.

Doesn't this mean if we use black or dark colors, the SAP is consuming less power since less of the pixels and color components of the pixels have to be turned on?

Just a thought...

I would appreciate feedbacks kasi, i also would like to save on power.

Anybody?

Thanks! :roll:

I suggest someone would conduct an experiment on the issue:

1 - week light background

1 - week dark background

Report in this thread a day to day monitoring of discharging rate.

Example:

ROM Version: 1.6.0.8

Week 1 : Light Background

DAY 1: 18 hours

DAY 2: 16 hours

DAY 3: 20 hours

Week 2: Dark Backgroud

DAY 14: 20 hours

someone willing to volunteer? :)

Guest grifter

The colors on LCD screen are a mixture of different percentages of Red Green and Blue. For black, all 3 colors are set to full intensity.

This is so that these pixels will block the backlight from shining through.

Anyway, the power being eaten up by the LCD is only minimal compared to the power being sucked up by the backlight. The backlight is the real battery sucker!