Everlink release 2003 update for Compal AR11 Developer Phone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Owners of the AR11 - Microsoft Developer Phone - Rejoice!

Everlink have today release the update to 2003!

The upgrade can be downloaded by visiting ftp.everlinkwireless.com, username: sc1100, password: everlink.

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully!

The improvements Everlink list for the 2003 build are as follows:

Appendix A: New Features in Windows Mobile 2003

1.1.1 Windows CE.NET

1.1.1.1 .NET Compact Framework in ROM

Windows Mobile 2003 includes the .NET Compact Framework in ROM, which enables the development and deployment of .NET applications for Windows Mobile 2003 devices.

1.1.2 Cell Core

1.1.2.1 IPv6 Support

Windows Mobile 2003 includes support for the IPv6 protocol.

1.1.3 Security

1.1.3.1 SSL Support

The Secure Socket Layer (SSL) security protocol is supported for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP email.

1.1.3.2 IPSec/L2TP Support

Windows Mobile 2003 supports the IPSec/L2TP Virtual Private Network protocol, which offers users a more secure way to access their remote information.

1.1.3.3 Certificate Management

Windows Mobile users can now manage their client and root certificates, and common certificates are now included.

1.1.4 ActiveSync

1.1.4.1 Configurable Synchronization Schedules

Windows Mobile users can now configure separate synchronization schedules for peak and non-peak hours, as well as while roaming. ActiveSync can also synchronize in the background, without turning on the screen or backlight, which saves power.

1.1.4.2 IPv6-based ActiveSync

While connected to the desktop, Windows Mobile 2003 based Smartphones can synchronize in mixed IPv6 and v4 environments.

1.1.4.3 SecurID Support

Exchange ActiveSync can support authentication in conjunction with RSA SecureID.  

1.1.5 Games

1.1.5.1 Jawbreaker

Windows Mobile 2003 users can enjoy Jawbreaker, a great game for playing in short bursts.

1.1.6 Inbox/SMS

1.1.6.1 Multiple Inbox Support

In Windows Mobile 2003, there are separate Inbox stores for ActiveSync and SMS, and each POP3 or IMAP account.  This means that Windows Mobile can now support up to 8 message accounts.  

1.1.6.2 Always-Up-To-Date Email

For users who synchronize with Exchange 2003, Windows Mobile 2003 can be configured to synchronize emails as they arrive on the server, keeping users up to date with their email. These settings can be configured either on the device or on the desktop.

1.1.6.3  Moving Messages

Windows Mobile users will now be able to move messages from one folder to another on their device, enabling them to be more productive while on the go.

1.1.6.4 Extensible EMS

Windows Mobile 2003 supports pluggable transports such that operators and ISVs can now create plug-ins for certain popular applications such as Enhanced Message Service (“EMS”) and Multimedia Messaging Service (“MMS”).

1.1.6.5 SMS Character Counter

A running characters total is displayed in the title bar as SMS messages are composed. If the character count goes over 160, a message is displayed.

1.1.6.6 IPv6 Support

Inbox now supports IPv6, which means Windows Mobile users can enjoy enhanced interoperability with other IPv6 based applications and systems.

1.1.6.7 Separate Email Signatures

Windows Mobile users can set up a default signature for each messaging account.

1.1.7 MSN Messenger

1.1.7.1 IPv6 Support

MSN Messenger now supports IPv6, which means Windows Mobile users can enjoy enhanced interoperability with other IPv6 based applications and systems.

1.1.8 Phone

1.1.8.1 Suspend/Resume

Windows Mobile 2003 builds on Smartphone 2002 by adding Suspend/Resume support for GSM based Smartphones and Dormant Mode support for CDMA based Smartphones, which maintains a data connection even when the user is on the phone, or the phone is off.  

1.1.8.2 SIM Management

End users can now add, delete, and edit contacts directly to their SIM while using their Windows Mobile device.

1.1.8.3 Extensible Call Progress Menu

OEMs, Mobile Operators, and ISVs can now add options to the menus in the phone application.

1.1.8.4 Call Event Flexibility

OEMs can now access various call events, such as Caller ID, Incoming calls, Answered Calls, Call State, etc., and build applications that make use of this data.

1.1.8.5 Alternate Line Service Indicator

Windows Mobile 2003 includes support for the industry standard two-line voicemail indicator.

1.1.9 Pocket Internet Explorer

1.1.9.1 Extended Protocol Support

Pocket Internet Explorer has been updated to include support for XHTML, Cascading Style Sheets, javascript 5.5, Windows Markup Language 2.0, IPv6, WTLS, and animated images.

1.1.10 Windows Media Player

1.1.10.1 Support for WMP V9 Audio and Video

Windows Mobile users can now watch and listen to multimedia content encoded in the Windows Media Player V9 format.

1.1.10.2 WMA Ringtones

Windows Media Audio files can be used as ring tones on Windows Mobile 2003 based Smartphones. WMA ring tones can support Digital Rights Management, for protecting the intellectual property associated with the ring tone.

1.1.11 International

1.1.11.1 New Windows Mobile languages

Windows Mobile 2003 will be the first release in Japanese, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Brazilian Portuguese, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, and Turkish.

1.1.11.2 Extensible Input Method Architecture

In Windows Mobile 2003, OEMs can add 3rd party Input Method Engines (IME), which means that OEMs and Mobile Operators can offer localized IME languages.

1.1.11.3 East Asian Smartdial

Contact names in Japanese and Chinese (Simplified & Traditional) can now be filtered using Smartdial in both Dialer and Contacts.

1.1.12 Bluetooth  

1.1.12.1 Bluetooth Partnership Wizard

Windows Mobile users can now easily connect to other Bluetooth devices on a case by case basis. This wizard turns the radio on, searches for available devices, and then asks the user to set a PIN to pair with a device.  

1.1.12.2 Additional Bluetooth Profiles

Additional profiles for Object Push and Dialup Networking are included in ROM.

Enjoy! :)

P

Guest nedge2k

Just out of intrest, couldn't the upgrade be hacked to remove offending drivers and replace with say 1.6 drivers? Or will an SPV compatible upgrade be available in the not too distant future?

Guest stickman

Followed the instructions to the T. Got an error while trying to update the bootloader. "ERROR 1212". Had to pull the battery. Now, it will not even power on. I called Everlink and they say my only option is to send it in for them to flash the ROM for me.

This may be an anomaly, but I wanted to go ahead and post it. Hopefully I will get my MPx200 tomorrow, so this is no biggie, but I really want to start coding .net on this puppy. I will post again when I get more information from Everlink on how long the repair will take, what it will cost, etc...

C

PS... Got to check out the MPx200 in person today. It is amazing.

OK, update went fine on my Red-E and now i'm a happy owner of a Smartphone 2003-powered device :).

I think the most noticeable improvements are related to the GUI - new themes and ringtones, new colors, and faster scrolling in the menus. When you scroll by keeping the little joystick pressed, it is much faster and you don't hear that repetitive clicking sound (maybe this has to do with the improvement). There's a new game (Jawbreaker) but Compal's applications have vanished. You will not miss the SIM Manager because now you can manage your SIM card through the operating system, but you WILL miss the Windows Explorer. Windows Media now supports Version 9 audio and video. Internet Explorer has changed, now supporting javascript, CSS etc. Nothing else new in applications. No Word or Excel viewers, no MSN messenger- it includes the old version that doesn't work any more.

Of course under the hood you will find that a lot of things have changed. The operating system now supports the .net compact framework, IP v6, SSL, IPSec/L2TP and SecurID. Multiple mail boxes can be set up, although their management is a nightmare: You must go through the menus and click 5-6 times to find the correct inbox or outbox. What happened to the famous MS useability tests? MS should consider bringing back a unified inbox! Finally, data connections now support Suspend/Resume so they are maintained even if the phone rings and you pick-up.

One final thing, important to me , but probably doesn't apply to the majority of users: The keyboard's character set has been extended to support other languages, such as Greek. This is available by keeping pressed the # button. Not very practical for sending SMS, but surely an improvement compared to Smartphone 2002.

Instructions for upgrading to Smartphone 2003 (Everlink SC1100 Device only!!)

You will need your smartphone, an SD or MMC card, the red USB cable and the AC adapter. Do NOT try to upgrade if one of these is missing!!!

Go to ftp://sc1100:[email protected]

Change to directory: "red E SC1100 Smartphone 2003 Software Upgrade" and get 1055_Everlink_Sharp_ENG.zip. Uncompress it to your PC and you will find the following files:

GSM1900.bin

OPERATOR.bin

LANG.bin

SMARTFON.bin

chain.bin

OEM.bin

chain-all.lst

EBoot.bin

chain-eboot.lst

1st Step: Update Bootloader

1) Rename chain-eboot.lst to chain.lst

2) Turn the phone on and connect the USB cable.

3) Copy chain.lst and EBoot.bin to the Storage Card folder using ActiveSync.

4) Disconnect the USB cable and turn the phone off.

5) Plug-in the AC adapter.

6) Press-and-hold the HOME and BACK keys, then press-and-hold the POWER key for 5

seconds (all three keys.)

7) Wait an additional 10 seconds.

8) Unplug the AC adapter and remove then re-insert the battery.

9) Turn the phone on.

2nd Step: Update the binaries:

10) On the PC, delete chain.lst, then rename chain-all.lst to chain.lst

11) Connect the USB cable.

12) Using ActiveSync, delete the file chain.lst from the Storage Card folder on the phone.

13) Copy all the files to the Storage Card folder using ActiveSync.

14) Disconnect the USB cable and turn off the phone.

15) Press-and-hold the HOME and BACK keys and plug-in the red USB cable, hold the keys for

5 seconds.

16) Wait for the phone to reboot itself after updating (approximately 6 minutes.)

17) Disconnect the USB cable and turn off the phone.

3rd Step: Cold boot device:

18) Plug-in the AC adapter.

19) Press-and-hold the ‘3’ and ‘*’ keys, then press-and-hold the POWER for 5 seconds.

20) Wait for the phone to finish the power-on sequence (approximately 4 1/2 minutes.)

ayan2 - what about the issue with the USB cable no longer working as a charger after the upgrade - is this the case? I would love to do the upgrade but I need to charge the device using the red cable - my other charger no longer works.

let me know

YES, this is an issue. The USB cable no longer charges the Smartphone. I am not sure, but this seems to be a bug, because it charges for a while (about 5%) and then stops. At least this is reported by a freeware application i am using to monitor the charge status (BatteryGauge by Mark Davison). The symbol on the Smartphone changes to "AC Power" so the Smartphone "thinks" it is charging, but it isn't. Hope they solve this because i like to leave the AC charger at home, and use the USB cable at work. :wink:

Multiple mail boxes can be set up, although their management is a nightmare: You must go through the menus and click 5-6 times to find the correct inbox or outbox. What happened to the famous MS useability tests?

You can use left/right to move between inboxes. For example, if you're in your SMS inbox, push right and it will display your next Inbox e.g. Activesync.

HTH

jp

Guest awarner [MVP]

Welcome to the site, the answer to your question is not yet

and it has not been announced if an update will be available

for the mio either.

I've just updated my red e smartphone as per the instructions and everything seems to have gone beautifully.

The only problem I seem to be having is my battery life now sucks!!!!

My battery usually lasts a couple of days after a full overnight charge but since the upgrade, it won't even last a day! Back of the phone also feels very warm.

Anybody else have similar problems?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.