SMS question - how easy is it?

Guest wob

Hiya.

I'm thinking about getting the SPV - but can someone tell me how easy (and quick) it is when doing a text message? (SMS, not multimedia).

Is there a shortcut for texting? Is it quick and responsive when typing the message? How many menus to go through to read one from the inbox?

It's just that the T68/T68i were so poor.... Don't want to get my fingers burnt...

Cheers for any opinions! :D :(

Guest Paul [MVP]

Well, it's no Nokia for texting, from a keypad point of view, the ergonomics are average.

BUT

You get MSN Messenger! How awesome is that? A real money saver compared to SMS...

P

but how much worse?

yeah - messenger will be nice, but so many people will be using their 'normal' phones - kinda have to cater for the lowest common denominator don't you?

could you tell me a bit more about SMSing?

how quick is it?

is there any slowdown (ala T68)?

how deep into the menu's is a 'write new message' function?

how quick is it to select the number/person to send to?

basically, what are the 'fussy' bits about it?

i'm not expecting it to be perfect - i'd be bloody surprised if it was as good as a nokia, but that's ok. as you said - there's messenger!

Guest Paul [MVP]

No slowdown,

Write message function is 3 deep (actually not too bad - Inbox - New Message - SMS)

Once you have input a word in T9 you can't reselect it, you have to delete and retype if you make a mistake.

Other than that, pretty cool!

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

The way of selecting contacts on the SPV is second to none, that's for sure.

Hard to describe, but if you wanted to select Paul, you could just press the numbers that have PAU on (3 keypresses), and it would list all matches.

Very nice.

Sending to multiple recipients is very easy too.

You can also send to e-mail and SMS with one message.

P

Choosing the contact is very easy, one button brings up your whole list, then it's the same as dialling someone's number - i.e. if you want to bring up Gates, Bill, dial "2(B)4(i)5(l)5(l)" and it highlights him.

Ok. I'm sold!

Allowing for me to have an ickle tinker with one before parting with the dosh (yeah, like that'll matter - kid with a new toy!)

Thanks again for the replies - much appreciatied.

Since you can customize the frontscreen I would say any function is right there on the front screen. I just reconfigured mine for have the Inbox on the frontscreen showing SMS, MMS and MAIL counts and 4 permanent links with ico's to Slashdot, Google, MSN Messenger (the app) and Orange itself. Prob. changes tomorrow again ... but they thats the pleasure of the SPV ...