.NET

Guest Myke

Can someone explain what's so much better programming for .NET and how people can get started (what they need, any sites that explain it, tutorials, etc..)

Maybe we can get a nice discussion about it

Guest Peter Foot

Probably a good place to start is the recently released official .NET Compact Framework FAQ:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtec...AQ/default.aspx

This explains briefly what it is and what you need to get started. For the Microsoft Smartphone platform you will need a 2003 device to be able to run a .NETCF application. Essentially .NETCF is a higher level programming platform than writing native code in C++ which means you have a lot of rich code you can make use of, however native code is still required for applications which are performance or time sensitive as they are compiled down to machine code.

As to what is most suitable for you - that really depends on your experience and the types of applications you are looking to create. Do you have experience in any other development platforms or are you starting as a beginner?

If you are a beginner and looking to get up to speed quickly then .NETCF will allow you to do this. There are a lot of articles for .NETCF now many are written from a Pocket PC perspective because Smartphone support has only recently become available - however the differences are minimal and are mostly due to the smaller range of UI controls available on smartphone and no Sql Server CE support.

If you follow up with more details of what you would like to do I can post some more specific links but take a look at the Resources section of www.opennetcf.org to see what is available.

Peter

Guest spacecowboy6982

Wow, this is quite exciting ! .NET is sure to be big and can only be good for the future of smartphones which is why Im going to force myself to learn about this sort of thing from today !

spacecowboy

Guest Peter Foot

You should do a Computer Science degree where you can use .NET in your assignments, makes them a little more bearable! (Worked for me, mind you that was before the Compact Framework).

Peter

Guest spacecowboy6982

Hmm, could be a thought - im getting the hang of everything - i dont find it too difficult....yet. Cant wait to have my E-200 to really start !!

Guest spacecowboy6982

Lol - oh well - i'll keep reading all the articles/journals etc for now and see what happens in the future. Thaks 4 the tips,

spacecowboy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NeilC_MVP

Yes, it appears Orange have "done the right thing" at last! The SPV E200 has configurable security so you can indeed run unsigned apps, if you so wish.

Happy coding!

Guest NeilC_MVP

You'll need the Smartphone 2003 SDK. This will install all the bits you need to develop .NET CF apps with Visual Studio .NET 2003, including those funky emulator images.

Guest NeilC_MVP

I forgot to mention that the next version of Visual Studio .NET, code named "Whidbey", will contain all you need to develop Smartphone apps, for both managed and unmanaged applications. But... you'll have to wait about a year for that. Whidbey is expected to beta in May 2004. The tech preview of Whidbey distributed at the recent PDC does not have working Smart Device Programmability.

Guest Peter Foot
nuts! I was hoping to get a beta copy of Whidbey at the MS Developer Event in December

Working Smart Device programming in Whidbey is still a fair way off. If you get VS 2003 in the mean time you won't be dissappointed!