E200 lands @ MoDaCo - Your chance to grill Paul about it!

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks Paul for the chat and reviews - as with others, most of my questions have been answered - but:

Tasks (Sync from Outlook) - are these improved (can you see the notes, due dates etc.) ?

Custom Ring Tones (in Contacts) - are these synchronised back into Outlook at all (currently they aren't - and if you have to reset your phone and resync to the PC, all the custom tones are lost !!)

Handsfree Profile - is there a way to use this as a 'permanent' profile (i.e. set it to Handsfree before a call comes in) - so it could be used in a car (or on the desktop while in the cradle) ?

Cradle - Does it still need the power adaptor, or have they modified it (as detailed on this site) to charge the phone via USB ?

Handsfree Headset - the pictures look the same - is it the same socket on the E200 (i.e. likely to have problems 'sticking' in Headset mode like the SPV) ?

Bad news about no voice dialing - I was really hoping they'd get that one sorted out for this release.

nyway , I'd be grateful for any answers to the above.

Cheers

PaulF

Guest Pagemakers

Paul will regedit install without any additional privileges, ie without the need for a full unlock.

If a full unlock is required for whatever reason is it just done via the Orange developers site. Is that what is meant by 'unlock using the normal method' ?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Paul [MVP]
Tasks (Sync from Outlook) - are these improved (can you see the notes, due dates etc.) ?
No change, use the excellent developer one power tasks!

Custom Ring Tones (in Contacts) - are these synchronised back into Outlook at all (currently they aren't - and if you have to reset your phone and resync to the PC, all the custom tones are lost !!)

Not that I am aware of...

Handsfree Profile - is there a way to use this as a 'permanent' profile (i.e. set it to Handsfree before a call comes in) - so it could be used in a car (or on the desktop while in the cradle) ?
Again, not that I am aware of...

Cradle - Does it still need the power adaptor, or have they modified it (as detailed on this site) to charge the phone via USB ?

It still needs the power adapter - it's the same cradle as the e100. I think manufacturers do this to adhere to USB standards.

Handsfree Headset - the pictures look the same - is it the same socket on the E200 (i.e. likely to have problems 'sticking' in Headset mode like the SPV) ?
No sticking problems yet! Socket LOOKS the same, but isn't necessarily, it has a little rubber plug in it tho ;-)

Bad news about no voice dialing - I was really hoping they'd get that one sorted out for this release.

Yeah :lol:

Paul will regedit install without any additional privileges, ie without the need for a full unlock.
Yes, seems to.

If a full unlock is required for whatever reason is it just done via the Orange developers site. Is that what is meant by 'unlock using the normal method' ?

Yep, I unlocked mine from the O developer site.

P

hi all, i have been out of the UK and and no GPRS so I missed the live chat but many thnaks for posting this. On the whole from all the reviews it seems that the E200 hasn't been a giant leap forward rathyer just a bit of an evolution. Whilst I really wanted Bluetooth for headset and sync, on recent Nokia and SE phones it has been good to be able to send photos to other BT devices (like printer!) which it seems the E200 wont do out of the box.

It sounds like the hardware platform is improved in terms of ergonomics from the original SPV's and also it has a new base OS as well as a more sensivle approach to application locking and makes the device sound like the original MS smartphone I was expecting in the sendo Z100!

I certainly have renewed interest and from the information provided so far will try and make the upgrade once it is available as well as get back to being more actively involved in tinkering with the device.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to post reviews and host the chat etc

Guest chinaone

That's great news. Am sending this from IT Forum in Copenhagen where I am currently using the original 'stinger'. It's worth noting that I'm on my 9th phone in 12 mths due to softare 'freezes' and other such delightful glitches. I just hope that the new model actually works. Where can I view one, play with one and hopefully buy one, in London ????

I seem to remember Paul saying in the chat, that it wasn't possible to beam a contact via bluetooth. I've just downloaded the user manual from the FCC website and it says it is possible. You go to beam contact as you would if you wanted to beam via IR and any BT phone should appear in the same list.

The manual also says you can assign a voice tag to a contact and has the rather ambiguous definition of:

Enables you to create a shortcut to a phone number, e-mail addres, or Web URL by assigning one or two numbers as a recording.

Not really sure what that means! It's in the same menu as where you would assign a speed dial.

Finally, according to the manual, the cradle does recharge the phone. It doesn't mention that you have to plug the charger into it but I assume that this is a mistake as it does mention it for the USB sync cable.

Guest Richie M
Is it network unlocked?

If not, is it possible?

The Orange E200 is locked to the Orange Network, and it is not possible to Network Unlock yet. The Imate Smartphone2 is unlocked, i'm not sure about the Qtek 8080.

The manual also says you can assign a voice tag to a contact

hehe the original SPV manual also said this, and was obviously wrong :roll: so i'm guessing there wil be some errors in the E200 manual :lol:

Guest Pagemakers

Can the e200 take a photo then send it directly via email and not just by mms or is it like the Nokia 6600 which allows you to send directly via mms but if sending by email it must be saved first then sent as an email attachment. Messy!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Having read with interest over the last few weeks, thought I would have a go at my first post!

What I really would love to be able to do is send an email on the phone with an encl. from my notebook. Can't do it with the SPV (to my knowledge) - poss with the 200?

Ideally via bluetooth one could browse the PC but more likely from the PC transfer the file onto the phone first. Then send it by email?

Other thing - SBS2003 coming in four weeks at work - is it easy to set up so that the phone can remotely sync?

Ta!

Tony.

Hi Paul

I have a list of things that annoy me most about my SPV, and am hoping they have been cured with the E200. I won't be around later, so if you could check out the following, i would be most grateful:

1)Quality of Signal - SPV's signal is rubbish and doesn't exist when other orange users have signals in medium to low signal areas

I don't know about Amul, :?: :roll: :(

but I am still waiting to find out whether the signal strength and reception is better on the E200 than the SPV? I have difficulty answering calls sometimes from my home office, which is a pain in the bum... and Nokias work fine :)

any improvement on the E200 then Paul? Thanks! I might have to see if I can wangle an early upgrade... :lol: ;)

ok, thanks... shame as I am always having problems with answering calls, and it can take up to 5 minutes to get the signal back if I lose it.

I am thinking of trying the MPx200 - as can get it for nothing as an upgrade, any thoughts on that?

I have 1.3.5.6 or whatever the latest ROM version is for my SPV, but still get cut off as I try to answer calls or have difficulty getting signal back (e.g in pub or club, have to wait 10 minutes outside before being able to use it!!! :twisted:). Orange are investigating and have suggested it might be my Sim... right then...!!! :lol: (actually it might, what do I know?!)

thanks! (sorry if a little off-topic...) :roll:

gus

• 6 months later...
Guest poplu_1

hey paul...

can i ask you one question which i can't find the answer to on this web-site. i've tried looking for hours and hours, but there is only so much you can read. ok here it is.....

you obviously must know about the information of freeee sim-unlocking for the spv e200 that has been flowing about on this site.

Q. does the sim unlocking program actually unblock the E200 from all networks after the phone has been blacklisted by orange, o2 or whichever network it was first on/originated from??

catch my drift....i'm just so desperate to know the correct information (i know it sounds a bit randy dandy) But i need to know the truth. any advice would be much appreciated

Best Regards

PoPs

Guest beersoft

poplu_1,

when the phone has been blacklisted on one network, it gets blacklisted on all networks very soon after that.

when you simunlock the phone it just allows for the phone to work on any network, but if the phone is blacklisted its just going to be a paperweight.

the only way to get a phone unblacklisted (this is untested, and may not work) is to prove to orange/the network the phone was sold on that your the legal owner and the phone hasn't been stolen or lost, or if it was lost that you found it again. other than that your stuck with an expensive paperweight

later

Owen