E200 Battery Life

Guest adambern

Guest skyvalley

Maybe I have some good news for everyone on the battery front. (or maybe I've just been lucky today)

I've had my E200 since last Thursday and I've been giving it an overnight charge every night, up until today the battery has been complete (excuse my french) sh1te. However today it's been considerably better :lol:

I've have a consistent usage pattern and I only plug the handset in for about 10mins in the morning while I sync up all my meetings and stuff, usually the phone's been nearly dead by the time I get home from work, but tonight it's still going now!

Just had a quick chat with a chap I know who works on batteries for the handset company I work for and he mentioned that maybe the cells on my batt are just starting to equalise out now and to keep giving it long charges as often as possible (starting from nearly dead). Don't know if this will be case fro everyone and the extension of life is still not great but it's made me a little happier

Maybe I have some good news for everyone on the battery front. (or maybe I've just been lucky today)

I've had my E200 since last Thursday and I've been giving it an overnight charge every night, up until today the battery has been complete (excuse my french) sh1te. However today it's been considerably better :lol:

I've have a consistent usage pattern and I only plug the handset in for about 10mins in the morning while I sync up all my meetings and stuff, usually the phone's been nearly dead by the time I get home from work, but tonight it's still going now!

Just had a quick chat with a chap I know who works on batteries for the handset company I work for and he mentioned that maybe the cells on my batt are just starting to equalise out now and to keep giving it long charges as often as possible (starting from nearly dead). Don't know if this will be case fro everyone and the extension of life is still not great but it's made me a little happier

What???

I have never hear such b.s. pardon my english. Batteries can't ever improve their capacity with time. Are you really naive enough to beleive 'your friend'. Send my regards...

PS. I am not so happy!

Guest skyvalley

Gnuig, my friend actually works on developing LIon charging algorithms so I don't think I'm naive bud.

Just to point out to you that when charging a LIon battery you can get an effect where individual cells are unevenly charged even after several hours of trickle charging. Hence you might find cells with next-to-no charge in them. That is why you alway get told to charge a batt for 16 hours first time, to compensate for this however it might not alway cause full equalisation. Hence subsequent long charges may have the effect of improving battery life. 9 times out of 10 your battery will improve a little over the first few charges. Admittedly it often would not be noticable but it is possible that the effect could be.

So in short CAPACITY DOES NOT INCREASE!!!!!!!!!! The charge just has the potential to actually fill the capacity.

Before you insult people by calling them B.S'ers trying considering where they might have gotten their info from. I very much doubt you know everything pal.

Guest skyvalley

Cheers pagemakers,

How notable is your performance increase?

I noticed that the E200 manual doesn't say you need an initial 16hr charge which goes against what the majority of manufacturers state. I think that a long first charge should always be recommended.

I'm wondering whether the sensing circuitry on the E200 charging is putting the phone into trickle charge a little earlier than it should as this could cause unequal cell charging that could be remedied by sucsessive long charges.

I'm an upper-layer software bod though so I'm not really in a position to hypothesise about this properly :lol:

Guest AdrianFRST

I'm about to run mine totally flat for the third time. I'd normally have it sat in the cradle all day at work, but I'm deliberately avoiding that for now.

Currently I get 24hrs standby time with Bluetooth on and light usage (changing settings, playing the odd mp3).

Skyvalley -> Sorry bud. I guess I was a little quick there on the trigger. Guess it has just been driving me up the wall how poor the batterylife of the E200 really is. The battery MAY improve past the first 2-3 chargings, I will give you that. Especially if you haven't let the phone complete its charges initially.

However, I charged my phone for about 12-14 hrs. the first time, and didn't mention this to you beforehand. I use the phone till it runs flat, and charge it fully thereafter, as I have done with all my previous phones.

I can see how it may be 'windows mobile 2003' that somehow triggle the phone off the charge? I had actually considered this. But will I then ever get a full charge?

I now keep bluetooth off, keep gprs off, and seldom use any applications. This leaves me less than 6 hrs. up time having approx. 40-45 minutes of talk a day.

WITH A BUZZING NOISE! (just had to metion that).

Overall, I don't think this is acceptable battery life, and don't see how the battery will last me longer in the future!

Also consider that I am not the only one experiencing these low battery times.

I think I was wrong to go for the e200. The battery will never be super and who knows if there will ever be a fix for the sound quality on voice calls.

I even read elsewhere someone in here is trying to convince us the 'buzzing' will also go away with regular usage! COME ON!!!

After a weeks usage, I am not so happy with the e200, and should have every right not to be.

Guest skyvalley

Gnuig, your battery life sounds a lot worse than mine :?

I know the recommendation I've had is that a rule of thumb for LIons (batteries that is not the kings of the jungle :lol: ) is to do a charge in excess of 16 hrs to compensate for unequal cell conditions but what you've been doing sounds as if it should have done the trick.

I don't think we'll see a massive increase in the battery life, through software tweaks, I don't reckon the H/W is predisposed to giving us long batt life ;) This is one time where I'd love to have a feature from the dreaded "N" brand, their handsets do some seriously clever stuff in terms of power management.

Cant even go a day on standby, this is really bad but at least I'm not the only one. I'm seriously thinking of returning my phone, how long do I get after buying it again?

Dave

I think I'm going to send mine back, my SPV with the latest patch isnt too bad and at least the battery lasts a few days :lol: I'll see what happens when and if they get all the bugs fixed.

This has to be a Christmas rush job

Dave

Guest Schioett

Hope i don't get flamed for this... :lol:

For a trip to TechEd Barcelona this year I borrowed a Nokia 6310i from my work

Now, I fully charged this just before I went aboard the plane, so the battery results where?

Talked 2 - 4 hours plus alot of SMS' and general usage a day for 5 days and the battery was still going!! :shock:

I was shocked - that is so impressive.

My new E200 wont last 24h standby - I'm sorry to say that's not good enought.

In can't charge my phone every night - I travel alot going to places without any electricity (like to middle of a glasier) so the E200 will be going back to Orange today - :cry:

Maybe I'll buy one when some fix arrives, but I can't live without my phone because of a dead battery after some 14h of use..

Apart from the battery thing - i LOOOOVE this phone :roll:

Cheers

Jesper

Maybe I'll buy one when some fix arrives, but I can't live without my phone because of a dead battery after some 14h of use.. 

Apart from the battery thing - i LOOOOVE this phone

Have to say I agree and I'm sure most people do, nice phone shame about the naff battery life, its like going back 5 years when the first Orange phones came out :lol:

Dave

Guest Pagemakers

Put my Moto to bed last night off charge. It was showing 4 bars when I went to bed and it is still showing 4 bars the following morning :lol:

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Battery life & Radio stack??

Is it a case that the e200 has an older radio stakc than the current e100 / spv? I'm sure when I've looked at one in shops I thought that the numbers wewre less than that of what I've got on my spv.(1.24.00). Is it this that is causing the battery life to be so poor?

THe onyl way I can see that this can be tested is to run 2 e200s overnight for a set period e.g. 8 hours, with the same homescreen etc, with screen off, and all other power saving settings the sam, but jsut turn off the radio function on one of them and determine after 8 hours how much percent difference is between them.

If it is a lot then it cold well be that a better radio stack may help the battery life. If not then its just the phone / wm2003 sucking the battery life.

I'm still tempted to get one, but I get about 2 days from my SPV currently including making a few calls, but I tend to charge every night, but if I don't then its not the end of the world ) it seems to be that way wit the e200!)

Cheers

Chris

ps will someone please give me an e200 for a sensible proce, just cos I'm on ED50?!