E200 software locks hit Home Screen developers!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

The SPV E200 is now out there to buy, and has been pretty well received - and it IS a nice device :lol:

One of the features touted for Orange for the E200 was a new Application Locking scenario, providing full access with prompt to the handset for everything except Privileged Access (access to the radio stack etc.) - a great compromise - protecting users, without hampering home grown developers.

Unfortunately, the implementation in the retail builds seems to fall somewhat short of this, as Smartphone's top homescreen developer explains:

Unfortunately, I don't have my own E200 as yet, but I have been working closely with Paul_[MVP]to try and ensure that all my popular homescreens work on E200.

We have discovered that although portions of the phone are not software locked, a number HKLM areas in the registry in particular ARE locked down. This means that a number of homescreen tweaks (startup / shutdown screens etc.) - out of the box - require the same 'Developer Unlock Process' as the E100.

I'll hopefully be getting an E200 of my own soon, so we can explore further, but in the meantime, be patient with your developers, we're doing all we can ;-)

We are currently awaiting an official statement from Orange on the Application Locking situation, and will, of course, keep you posted.

P

Guest Simon Desser

Another strange thing is that, you get quite a few "prompts" even after you fully unlock the phone from the developers website (the same as if you hadn't unlocked it :?

Guest midnight
Does this affect "KIDZ" http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>homescreen on the E200....

yep, sure does, affects any homescreen that has extra screens skinned, such as startup/shutdown, error screens, volume etc. and also those that feature a skinned media player, however, i will be making stadard versions of all of my skins so that everyone can install even with locked phones (already done reload 2)

This is a shame but I presume that unlocking via the OTA method still allows for the install of extra screens? Still a shame that this process is still essential for such files to be installed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.