E200 - GPRS does not auto-disconnect

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Pagemakers

Anyone else noticed this problem?

I have my GPRS idle disconnect set to 5 mins, yet it NEVER disconnects - it stays connected forever.

Could this be the first major bug the E200 has?

Guest broughs

Don't know if this is what you mean.

GPRS was not disconnecting on my phone either. I think it detaches but stays active - all the time

The only way I have found to disconnect is through the shortcuts option. Hold the home Key. You can then get three options detach or disconnect GPRS and Bluetooth.

Hope this helps

Guest Pagemakers
Don't know if this is what you mean.

GPRS was not disconnecting on my phone either. I think it detaches but stays active - all the time

Hope this helps

What makes you think it detaches if both G symbols are permanently showing on the phone?

Look at page 92 of the manual - it states that the 2nd G symbol means GPRS in use.

Guest chucky.egg

Not being funny, but is this actually a problem? :?

Apart from the symbols what effect does it have?

Does it continue using your GPRS bundle up?

Does it stop incoming/outgoing calls or anything?

Guest egghead101

I have called 156 orange and they told me nothing apart from trying Wap instead. So the G will remain in idle state until a data request is made or Orange fix it. Just found out press and hold the home screen and select disconnect does work though but it is tiresome.

My fear is the Acceptable Use Policy on Orange World GPRS Offer states unlimited usage but continuous usuage is not allowed. So I asked 156 to make a note on my account......

hey hum another spv another glitch, maybe we just expect too much from technology these days?

Guest mattie01

there was a answer for this posted in another forum....

can't remeber who posted it... but here it is....

to disconnect from gprs hold down the "home" then select "disconnect gprs"

:lol:)

Guest Pagemakers

Constant GPRS connection is obviously not good for battery life. Im down to 2 bars already and its only 2pm

This BUG needs to be sorted soon.

Talked to 156 and they have put a note on my account in case of any unusual high GPRS usage from today onwards.

They said the phone SHOULD disconnect from GPRS after the idle timeout period.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Pagemakers

I know that. It should do it automatically though. What the point of auto-dialling your email every 30 minutes if you then have to remember to disconnect after?

Guest Pagemakers

Got a reply from Neil Enns from Microsoft:

That's the way it's supposed to work in Smartphone 2003.

You really don't have to end the data connection. As far as I know Orange only charges per packet, so you get the benefit of *much* faster browse times (you don't have to sit around waiting for GPRS to come up), and it

doesn't really cost any extra.

Guest spacecowboy6982

Is that really true "Pagemakers". Neil Enns is the project leader for Smartphone devices huh ?

it doesn't really cost any extra.

Is he taking the piss or what? Remember to tell him it all adds up the next time you email him !.How little are we talking here?!

spacecowboy

Guest Pagemakers

Just spent an hour on the phone with an Orange engineer (not from 150 or 156)!!

He said if your phone is sited between GPRS nodes it will use some battery power up when it hunts between cells.

He doesn’t think there is any chargeable data transmitted during the idle period.

When I asked Neil the following question:

Neil, if GPRS designed to stay on after you connect to it, what is the idle

disconnect for in Settings/Data Connections/Menu/Options?

He replied:

It controls what happens when the operator hasn't enabled suspend/resume. In

hindsight, the UI is perhaps a tad confusing :lol:

Guest Pagemakers

If that small point was in the manual it would have saved us a whole heap of wasted time, and thousands of others in the coming months!

......and maybe somebody better tell 156 because they think it's a bug too!

Guest skyvalley

Guy, you really need to stop fretting about this!! Chances are it will never cause you any problems and in some respects it's quite cool ;-)

Battery life will only be very slightly affected when you're GPRS attached, you might be going periodic Routing Area Updates a little bit more often but that might not even be the case. If you're moving around a lot RAU's happen a bit more often than Location Area Updates as RA's are often smaller than LA''s but as I'm not an expert on Orange's cell structure I can't be sure. Either way it's the only extra overhead on the battery and theoretically it should amount to sod all if the E200 stack has been implemented properly.

With regard to remaining attached. That's quite cool as it means when you want to raise a context to browse or whatever it should be quicker. My only worry would be susceptibility to push data. Have seen security holes like this on the GPRS stack I used to work on. It's a slight risk but I've never seen it exploited. If anyone's really worried about it, I'll explain it fully so that you can look out for the warning signs. As I say though I know that there are millions of phones in the market that have this same susceptibility, and I've never heard of ti being a prolem. The E200 might even have a mechanism to prevent the risk anyway.

Guest skyvalley

Further to my last post.

I've just had a couple of friends ring me about this so I'm going to explain a couple of things here.

Firstly, I'm quite an experienced GSM/GPRS protocol stack development engineer, so I know a little bit about handset behaviour, hence I'm not just guessing or passing on second-hand info which is likely to be what you'll often get from tech support. If anyone has any further queries after reading this. message me and I'll answer them or I'll get one of my colleagues to provide me with an answer if it's not something I know about.

Right, there are two GPRS states that we're concerned with in this discussion. Firstly we have "attached", I'm not going to go into detail as to exactly what this means but it's a bit like a stand-by state where your phone is ready to establish a GPRS data connection. All MMS capable phones need to auto-attach at power on for receiving MMS and they do. My asumption with the E200 is that it is representing this with an icon which a lot of phones don't explicitly do. When attached you need to maintain your GPRS ability so you need to do Routing Area Updates periodically or when you move into a new RA. An RA can be thought of as a group of cells. In GSM you have similar but larger strucures called Location Areas (obvisously these are relevant to GPRS too as it's the same network) so when you're attached you might be moving through RA's more often than through LA's. So maybe you'll get a slight hit on battery life, but consider what the phone is doing all the time anyway, it's taking measurements on all the cells it can see, reading paging and broadcast channels, performing cell re-selections, your hit ain't going to be that great in conparison.

The second state to consider here is having a PDP context active. This is your data connection and is required for transfers (browsing MMS etc). I can't believe that the E200 leaves it's context active indefinately, I'm not even sure if the network would allow it (forgive me I'm a Packet Idle developer not a Xfer one so I'm not overly knowledgable on context maintenance). Even so you don't get charged unless you're transferring so as long as IE is not refreshing pages in the bakground it isn't an issue.

To sum up, I believe that the E200 is simply staying attached but the icon representation might frighten some people. If it is attached that is good and the way it should be, if it is maintaining contexts, (I seriously doubt that it is) I wouldn't be as happy about that but I would need to have a bit more of a think about the potential problems with that.

Any questions about this, get in touch, if I can't answer it myself, I know some real protocol experts who will be able to.