E200 - GPRS does not auto-disconnect

Guest Pagemakers

skyvalley

Where have you been hiding :lol:

There are a couple of things in you write up that I didn't particularly agree with but they were only niggly :wink:

It IS an active PDP context that is being permanently maintained but this must have been done intentionally by Orange. I kind of semi-permanent (dynamic) IP address. When Mr O said that the 'stuck dialling' issue would be resolved in SPV E200 and the SPV 1.6 update I wonder if this is what is he meant.

The only thing I would add is that the SGSN also receives updating on a cell basis. ;)

Guest Simon Desser
has anyone installed GPRS Traffic counter to check how much data is getting tranfered in the "attached" state?

Yeah, and I can confirm that there is NO data sent or received whilst simply remaining attached :lol:

Guest sbsdegb1
Hold down the home key and you get dissconnect GPRS options :lol:

I have tried holding down the home key and I don't get any menu options. I have held it down for about 20 secs. Can you please elaborate on this menu.

Thanks

Guest skyvalley

Martin,

I stand corrected about the context :lol: Noticed that it remains acitve myself earlier.

Must admit I'm puzzled as O aren't even keen on auto-attaching phones because of limitations in their resources. I know this from discussions the company I work for ahve had with them when customising handsets for them. It seems strange that they'd support a phone maintaining its context.

The stuck dialling problem might well be resolved by this, I've seen Orange corporate SIMs unable to raise a context because the network was mis-behaving, maybe the MS stack has an implicit context activation fault and can't be resiliant to non-standard network behaviour and the quickest fix was to maitain a context once it was acheived. Having said that though I've been playing around with dropping the context then resuming it by receiving MMS paging and it's been solid as a rock.

I'd love to get my hands on the E200 source code just to see how well it's really been done. ;-)

Guest Pagemakers

Well its not supposed to disconnect to I guess you have got a faulty phone :lol: Neil Emmes from Microsoft explained it has been designed to remain connected to GPRS. (quoted in this topic).

Regarding to delete all function, we are talking about having this option in the main menu. Emails included.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Pagemakers

Yes but as Neil explains it has no function in the 2003 OS if the service provider choose not to use it and he should know as he is the lead program manager.

He went to to explain that the menu you mention is misleading.

It IS designed to stay connected unlike the previous OS

Posted from my SmartPhone!

skyvalley

I had said many times in the past that 'always on' referred to the GPRS network itself and not the PDP context and now what do we have - an always on Internet connection :roll: :lol:

I haven't heard anything from Orange but I can only imagine that this permanent connection is a solution to the GPRS dialling problem (or so its called). Simply put there is no more dialling :wink: This is unless you use the MMS or WAP APN which as you say successfully re-establishes the Internet connection after completion. Maybe this whole thing is going to be more relevant to those who have been experiencing numerous setup problems beforehand.

I know people were slightly worried about this and yet some were already maintaining the internet connection by using the MSN Messenger polling except this way no data transfer is actually needed to keep it open. Yep, MoDaCo did it before Orange ;) :(