Paul, do you have your sync working on the E200?

Guest lowbug

Hi Paul, I have copied all the settings etc to the E200 plus the tick for the SSL..

All i get is Synchronisation failed?

Not sure if it's certificate related. How did you get on?

thax :lol:

Guest Paul [MVP]

So you ARE using SSL?

If so, is your cert provider installed in the preinstalled certs? (Settings -> Certificates)

Mine (Equifax) isn't, so I had to install manually.

P

Ah Ha, so i have to buy a certificate and not use the one created on my server?.....

I am using SSL, but with my certificate which i created on my actual server.

Does Smartphone 2003 only support certificates from the sources listed on the phone?

How do i install the certificate i have existing, to the phone, i have tried copying it across to the phone but i am unsure to how i install it...

Guest rikwebb

Gents.

I was given a 'SSL Disabler' for my Ipaq 2210 MM2003 from work so I could connect to the corporate exchange servers, both exchange 5.5 and 2000.

Do you want me to post it, if I can find it??

Rik

Guest johnsoanes

Equifax certificate is installed on the retail E200.

I have an equifax ssl cert on my exchcange 2003 server and it connected first time. There is also an option to turn off SSL for active-snc as well.

The thing that is really stumping me though, and perhaps Paul might know, can we use the up-to-date notifications feature that comes with Exchange 2003 server? This provides a "push" option to notify your spv by binary sms that an email has arrived on your Exchange 2003 server. I'm assuming this is something that Orange would have to offer. Anyone know if they do, or if any other operators provide it?

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have asked Orange if they plan to offer SMS 'Up To Date', but they haven't given me any info.

You can add your own cert to the SPV my emailing the .cer file to yourself and clicking it (or just click it from SmartExplorer).

On the E200, there's no need to run a CAB to disable SSL as John Says, there is a checkbox.

P

What foxes me the most is the fact that if i turn SSL off i am effectively the same as my E100 with the Richiem airsync.cab installed. No cert checking. All settings are the same from the E100 to the E200. Nothing is changed the Exchange 2003 end. The E100 still syncs, but the E200 will not. Spoke to Orange today very helpful 3rd line 156 support guy and they are also confused, but they are going to try a similar setup to see if it's an issue between the E100 and E200. They are going to get a E100 and a E200 and try it themselves. I wonder if the SSL box on the activesync settings actually really does turn cert checking off, maybe it is a bug? which then in turn leads me to think the reason it does not work for me is because i don't have a cert. from an authority but just from my own server and because i can't seem to be able to install my server cert. i therefore cannot sync.

The only way to check is...

Install my servers cert.

or

Buy a cert.

or

Make a new RichieM airsync.cab file for the E200

I could however be barking totally up the wrong tree, but then maybe not? :cry: And i actually thought the E200 would sync better than the E100 :lol:

Guest Paul [MVP]

Sounds like your cert is in the wrong format.

The SSL checkbox does turn cert checking off, I used it before I installed by own cert (which was not on the phone as default).

Here's one to try...

Sync individual things at first, e.g. Calendar, then Contacts, then Inbox, before turning them all on together.

P

Guest rikwebb

Paul,

The reason I pointed lowbug in the direction of the SSL disabler file, is that the Ipaq 2210 running MS Mobile 2003 did not disable ssl even when the tick box was off.

Funny thing is, I remember now, I had to run the file and then turn the tick box ON !! to disable it. Dont ask ! - I dont know why!!

Could just be another one of the 'funnies'....

Rik

This is starting to do my head in...

Spent another day on it :lol:

I have a E100 which sync's 100%

I have a E200 which just sits there saying "connecting to server"

If i remove the password, it asks me for it which means it is at least talking to the server...

Both 100% the same settings on the Activesync options screen.

Guest Paul [MVP]

You could pick up a REALLY cheap Equifax SSL cert from ev1servers.net and see if that improves the situation, as the Equifax cert is on the device out of the box?

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest dhopton

Disablignt the SSL is bad - you dont want people sucking up our domain password etc some how? No, I thought not.

You can use SSL and not faff around installing certs (for example, if you issue your own via certificate services) by using the program linked here to disable the Certificate checking in the WInCE OS. I have used that tool against a 3870, 5500, and my Original SPV. To work against the SPV it needs to be unlocked 'cause it goes playing in odd places. Run this, and then you can continue to use SSL with your own self-signed certs.