Other Bluetooth Settings on E200

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

In dismay at not having an 'Automatic' BlueTooth mode on the E200, I started rooting around the Registry, to see what it does when you change the settings in the BlueTooth settings app.

As it turns out, if modifies a Registry Key in HKCU with a value, and switches state.

The values are as follows:

0 - Off

5 - On

7 - Discoverable

Upon seeing this, I naturally wondered what 1,2,3,4 and 6 did. They DO appear to do something, for example '6' gives you a blue flashing light, no BT icon, and an apparently slightly better battery life, but i'm not entirely sure what.

I figured you guys, my fellow E200 owners could help me investigate.

SO...

Attached is MoDaCo BlueTooth Switcher (in CAB form - thanks Midnight). Simply install it on your phone, and choose your desired mode, then reset to activate that mode.

Please report back your findings in this thread!

Cheers,

P

PS If anyone wants the .net source, I'll happily post it here, it uses the excellent OpenNetCF.org registry library.

BTSwitcher.gif

BTSwitcher.CAB

Guest Croccy22

after a bit of testing, have come up with these results. Dunno what other differences there are

0 = off

1 = all works but maybe slightly slower

2 = off

3 = on but very slow to discover devices

4 = off

5 = on (normal mode)

6 = off

7 = Discoverable

the even number must do something but I couldn't get any blutooth functions to work.

Croccy

Guest rikwebb

Ok I have had a go with the e200 and the Ipaq 2210.

I used Paul's app, then re-booted e200, noted services that where discoverable from Ipaq, and noted the e200's setting.

Here are the results:

Mode Services e200 Mode

0 None OFF

1 None OFF

2 None OFF

3 None Disc

4 None OFF

5 SSA ON

6 None OFF

7 SSA Disc

Rik

Guest wbloore

I get the same results as Croccy22.

I've left my phone on setting 4 all day, and can take incomming calls on my Bluetooth headset without any problems. I've used this setting for 8+ hours, and the battery level is still at half. So setting 4 seems to be a lot better than having Bluetooth set to on.

Guest yarod_g14

I have just been playing around with my E-200 on active sync, Im using a MSI BToes bluetooth adapter. All conects ok, Im not too impressed with the range or speed but I have only just bought the dongle and Im not familiar with any of the settings. When I'm copying files back to my computer its slower than a 2 legged tortoise and when I try to copy it back again I get an error telling me that a device attached to the system isn't functioning, my phone then wont recognise my SD card until I unplug it and plug it back in again?! But on the plus side I can use my phone in my bedroom on broadband pass-through access even when my pc is in the room directly downstairs :lol:

I wouldn't mind a file browser on my phone that would let me look around my pc and access to my printer lol.

Guest wbloore
"]wbloore, do you really mean mode 4?

That seems to be off to me...

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Paul,

Yeah, sorry. Mode 4. My results were different to Croccy22. I thought they were the same at first, but just noticed the even numbers worked for me, not the odd numbers.

On mode 2, 4 and 6 the bluetooth symbol doesn't appear, but the LED flashes blue intermittently, and my Bluetooth headeset works fine for all calls. Battery life is much better than the 8 hours you have experienced previously.

However, today I can't get it working again. It definitely worked yesterday, and I rebooted my phone after every attempt.

Wayne

Guest skyvalley

This is a bit of guess work here, but I have heard rumors that some extra BT functionality such as auto switching will be made available through updates, so my guess would be that these other values might be reserved for future use.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kallisti

Table below, DSC = discoverable, SYM = symbol in "taskbar", LIG = blue light flashing, I've put in the mode and the binary as it's likely bit shifted? I couldn't establish significant differences between the discoverable and "on" states, so I didn't test that?!

SYM DSC LIG

0 000 OFF OFF OFF

1 001 OFF OFF ON

2 010 OFF OFF OFF

3 011 ON ON* ON

4 100 OFF OFF OFF

5 101 ON OFF ON

6 110 OFF OFF OFF

7 111 ON ON ON

* (Can't authenticate or enumerate, maybe SSA is off? It considers this mode to be "discoverable" in it's own settings)