Software update 1.7 posted for SMART users

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

You heard right, while Orange users patiently await their first update since 1.3.7, CoolSmartphone has noticed that SMART have posted a 1.7 update for their 'Smart Amazing Phone' (silly name, but Tanager based).

I know we have a large Pinoy contingent, so go and get it people!

The update can be found here.

Fixes include:

o       MSN Messenger Fix  

o       20 to 30% Extended battery life

o       Action Engine Software

o  Amazing Explorer - (Smart Online,  Establishment Finder, SSS Online)

o  Amazing Store

o  Smart Secure

As usual, this should not be installed on non SMART handsets, etc. etc.... :lol:

P

I don't have an extra phone to try this out on and don't want to risk messing up my only phone I use here in the USA, so I would be very interested and thankful if anyone could answer the following if they know the answers... Thanks!

- If your phone has a different ROM (i.e. I-Mate 1.5), can you successfully upgrade to this? (maybe in three color mode)

- If your phone is currently SIM unlocked and application unlocked/decerted, will both of these remain unlocked after this update?

- After this update is applied, is it possible to backup the entire phone via usb term?

- After this update is applied, is it possible to downgrade the bootloader to .98?

- After this update is applied, is it possible to downgrade the ROM to an older version? Is it possible to downgrade the ROM to an older version from a different carrier (i.e. back to I-Mate 1.5)?

Many thanks in advance for any testers out there with answers to these! I'm sure there are others with the same questions...

After the problems with the leaked 1.6 update, I think most people will think very carefully before they decide to install this 1.7 version.

SPV UK owners will be very concerned if they can't revert back to the UK version after trying this update.

Probably best not to install it, and wait for official UK update, whenever that may be.

Heard a rumour this week that all Orange employees will receive a free Smartphone. Not sure if this only applies to employees that have an official business line, but anyway it may be completely untrue.

If true, then I want an E200 :lol:

Guest MARKUKCOUK
As usual, this should not be installed on non SMART handsets, etc. etc....  

.... but as usual the stupid ones amongst us (like me) will install it anyway :lol:

Guest cyrilthefish

.... but as usual the stupid ones amongst us (like me) will install it anyway :lol:

WARINING! don't install this one :!:

my phone survived the leaked 1.6 update, but the 1.7 update has completely killed it :cry: :shock: (it doesn't switch on at all now)

horay for phone insurance though :?

my phone survived the leaked 1.6 update, but the 1.7 update has completely killed it :cry: :shock: (it doesn't switch on at all now)

Mine runs great with the 1.6 update..

Guest Mr Orange

In the future we will do our best to stop this sort of thing happening.

Stop what happening ?

Everyone else getting a working software before UK SPV owners get it ?

Why is it that UK customers get the worst service and support on the SPV ?

Guest spvlover

8) Hello dear Smartphoners

Hey guys in the UK 8) beleave me theres just as bad.

look at switzerland. Were stuck in the same sh.. as you guys :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BUT HEY...........I LOVE MY SMARTPHONE :lol:

greetings from the old europe ;)

Guys, we 're really not that bad off. Smart is the only provider who launches its ROM before Orange, but as you can see in the smart forum, a new ROM isn't always better than the last one. their 1.6 was a total disaster...

And just think of the fact that I-mate or Qtek users have to wait even longer than Orange users... 8)

It's not that Orange gives an awful bad service, it's just that we are demanding too much. And here, forum members are even heating each other up so that they get angered. That isn't Orange's fault! They never gave an official release date, so why would they launch at a date we expect them to?

So "what" definition do you use with reference to release dates given out on seperate occations to several forum members including myself twice so far over the past two weeks.....? and BY Orange operators....... :roll:

Guest wbloore
And just think of the fact that I-mate or Qtek users have to wait even longer than Orange users...

Imate and Qtek users can download version 1.50. Original SPV owners with Orange UK are currently stuck with 1.37 (released 8 months ago). Only E100 users have 1.5. So Orange is waaaay behind the other operators.

So "what" definition do you use with reference to release dates given out on seperate occations to several forum members including myself twice so far over the past two weeks.....? and BY Orange operators.......

Do you have an official statement of the release date? anywhere at all? On a site, a fax, e-mail,...? I think not. :wink:

And seriously, would you really believe a word of a call center agent? Do you really think any release date that has not been officially confirmed would be given to call center agents? And just off the record: a call center agent can be fired if he gives away exact info that has not officially been announced, so they always have to make up a story. By default, a call center agent will never say: "it's that date", he will say "I believe it's that date"... Remember that call center agents only know what has been officially confirmed by their company, so there can be no call center agent who knows more than you can find on the web... 8)

there are also agents who are curious and look for info before an official statement... so, anyone who has testing' units dares to try it and comment? Posted from my SmartPhone!

This is the only official reference I've seen from O. It does say mid November for this 'software patch'. This is taken from O's website... http://web.orange.co.uk/yourphone/spv/?rd=...e.yourphone.spv

MSN Messenger software update

In an effort to ensure the latest security and privacy protections, Microsoft recently updated its .NET Messenger Service, requiring Orange customers who wish to access MSN Messenger through their SPV or SPV E100 to install new software on their phones. Without installing a new software patch, the MSN Messenger programme in the SPV and SPV E100 will not work.

We, together with Microsoft, are very sorry for the resulting service disruption.

Orange have taken all steps to minimise any impact to customers and are committed to delivering innovative communications capabilities. We plan to distribute the software fix for this in mid-November 2003.

Please note that this update to the .NET Messenger Service will not affect Orange customers with an SPV E200 or Motorola MPX200.

Guest NeilStewart

Surely the best way to stop it happening, or at least reduce the instances of it happening, would be to announce a release date for the legitimate Orange upgrade - and actually make it available on that date?

Guest NeilStewart

Surely the best way to stop it happening, or at least reduce the instances of it happening, would be to announce a release date for the legitimate Orange upgrade - and actually make it available on that date?

Guest supersha

hello folks -

do not use this update unless you are on the Smart network. It LOCKS your SIM. I am on T-Mobile in the USA and am screwed now. it upgrades your bootloader to 1.09 for which the unlock programs do not work.

where, when i got my phone it was fully unlocked, it sucks that the Smart update locks your phone. &*^%*#^@^@*@((@@*@^@$#@!$%^@*@^%$(@)(&%$@*)(&^#%!!!!

I am in the process of trying to figure the entire mess out and cannot use my phone. I am trying to follow these instructions.

Any help that people can offer would be greatly apprciated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.