E200 Email Bug!

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Pagemakers

Can anyone else confirm they have the following problem/bug

Set your email account to poll the server every 15 mins. Then set your inbox to the SMS tab and switch to another application.

Wait 15 mins for your phone to poll your email server.

Notice, that the email server never gets polled. Your email is never automatically download!!

I think this happens because if you do not leave your inbox tab on your email account that email account is not active. You can confirm this by running task manager. If inbox is set on the SMS account, only SMS is active. If MMS is selected then only MMS is active.

So we have the following problems:

1 - If you do not leave your inbox on the email tab, emails will not be downloaded automatically.

2 - If you have multiple email accounts only one account can automatically download email because you can only select one inbox tab at a time.

Can someone else try this and reply.

Guest statscat

no way thats quite serious if true.

I only have one email account but will try to verify, if so then its something MS didn't considered when they designed the new Inbox (which I have to say I hate ....... I keep getting stuck on the wrong account or in the wrong folder :lol: )

Guest Pagemakers

Even if you have only 1 email account if you leave your inbox on the SMS/MMS tab your email will not auto-download. Swap through the accounts and watch what happens in task manager. I feel this is a big fcuk up.

Guest statscat

this is definately the case with my softwate too.

I connected to process viewer in the SDK and tmail.exe loads different dlls depending on the account you are attempting to access, I can only assume that the email "polling" dlls are not loaded unless that is the active window and so the account never gets polled.

The phone made no attempt to check my email and this was supported by logs on the mail server, I only "checked for new mail" when that was the active / selected folder.

the issue is definaltey with tmail.exe which is a Microsoft thing I guess when they altered the inbox they just forgot about MMS and SMS being push data whereas email is pull :'(

so wininet.dll etc never get loaded in SMS,MMS etc so I am guessing that when it is in these profiles it doesn't know anything about network connectivity whereas it does when it is the "email" view. SO for all we know it could be merilly trying to check your mail just not doing it .........

Guest statscat

had wondered that one myself, it needs moving, and adding to bugtracks :lol: ..................... for now the only work around is to ensure that the email "inbox" you are most interested in is the inbox that you leave selected, its not ideal and is a real pain in the you know where, but MS need to get this sorted ..........

Guest Pagemakers

I cant believe this bug has slipped through.

Dont they test anything? Look what we have found in the 3 days since its release!

So now everytime you receive or send an SMS you must remember to select your email account in inbox otherwise auto roll will not work.

If you have multiple email accounts then thats just tough!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Pagemakers

Just left my phone on the SMS tab all night and woke up to no emails. Moved the tab to my email account and within 15 mins the phone connects and downloads 26 emails!!

This is a major issue that requires a quick fix, but I guess I can whistle for that.

I've got this funny feeling of dejavu :lol:

Up until recently I had an O2 XDA running PocketPC2002. That had exactly(ish) the same issue, except you had to ensure the 'connect' button was selected on po and then if you had multiple email accounts it would only download from whatever account you happened to have on screen at the time. Leave it on SMS and it'd sit there twiddling it's thumbs wondering what's for tea. Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that the GPRS connection dropped more often than a tarts... well you get the idea, and it didn't have the sense to reconnect when it was time to poll.

I've just jumped ship to a shiney new E200 and hoped that since SP2003 is new I would never have to experience this pain again. Guess I was wrong ;)

This isn't a new bug. It's been around a while in m$ sw, and it's not one of those annoyances that people have kept quiet about either. So why hasn't it been fixed? :evil: