Application unlock (decert) your Orange UK MPx200

Guest alphaflux

I was having probs with Orneta NotePad and just downloaded & tried the fix... sorry to say... still the same problem :oops: ... the info screen when trying to install reads as follows

Installation failed. The program or settingcannot be installed because it does not have adequate system permissions. Please contact your service provider for more information.

Guest alphaflux

Hmm, thanks for letting me know Bonzo.

The lastest permissions should allow user authorised, user un-authorised and carrier 3rd party signed applications, but guess this isn't enough. Back to the drawing board. :cry:

I wish I could work out what is different with the phones that are seeing this problem. If I could just replicate this issue on my phone, it would whole lot easier, but as you know I have so far been unable to do so with any of the applications that have been reported thus far. I'll try Orneta NotePad tonight and see what happens. I'll let you know the results and will post another update as soon as I can.

Thanks. Alphaflux.

Guest alphaflux

Excellent work Bonzo, an application that failed to install on my phone too ! :lol: Aids the testing process soooo much ! :wink:

So, find attached a further cabinet that should address the issue. Tested and working on my phone. As always, let me know. :D

Alphaflux.

NOTE: Cabinet retracted due to reports of problems. Anyone with issues since the run of this cabinet should download and run the latest update from page 7 of this thread.

Hmmm now here is an interesting development... tried the latest fix & still get the same result with NotePad... won't install due to inadequate system permissions... not normally a problem as I just lock the phone again install it & then un-lock & it still works... however now my phone won't even run the lock cab!!! Comes up with the same error message aboust system permissions!!! :oops:

Guest alphaflux

No way ! :cry: That is really not good a good sign! :? I have tested and tested again this latest cabinet with my MPx and have not had ANY issue. Even with the Notepad application, which as you say reported bad permissions, after the new setup all was fine I was able to install and remove to my hearts content.

The latest permissions effectively make you manager of the phone, so you should be able to do pretty much anything !

I keep asking this, and am sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I need feedback if we are to work this out ... So, has anybody else experienced this issue following the run of the new cabinet ? or is this a one off ? and has anyone run the new cabinet and been able to install previously failing applications ? (the new cabinet has been downloaded 14 times, so I hope at least someone will be able to comment).

In the meantime Bonzo ... Are you still able to install signed cabinets ? run unsigned applications ? etc ... ? My fear here is that if your phone is currently in a state where you are unable to install unsigned cabinets, I am not going to be able to send you another cabinet (not that I can elivate your permissions much higher than they are!) without you doing a hard reset first. :cry: Don't panic, yet!, I am working on getting a signed cabinet produced, so we may be able to avoid the hard reset ...

Alphaflux.

It's OK alpha I don't mind the hard reset option... I got used to having to do it playing with the registry on my old SPV :D

I had to do a full back-up of my PC and the last image I took that I have to re-install was with all the s/ware & partnership for my old SPV on it so I was planning to do a hard reset when I did that anyway... and I've done that now so all is well :lol:

Guest alphaflux

Excellent news! :lol: Thanks for your understanding on that !

Does that mean you have re-run the cabinet and you are able to install things correctly now ?

To be honest no... all I did was install all the signed applications I have before I ran the original un-lock cab & then installed the unsigned apps I have :lol:

Guest alphaflux

Ok mate. Fair enough. :lol: The new unlock cabinet shouldn't cause any issues, but I understand your hesitancy in re-running it. I am still at a loss as to why it caused that issue on your phone, mine is still running perfectly. However, I develop on my MPx and require the new permissions in order for the platform manager to connect properly. Anyone else who intends to develop on the device will need to do the same. As long as you are happy with the phone as is, thats cool ... hopefully Orange OTA will be available soon anyway. :D

Not that I'm really hesitant to do it matey... in fact I most likely will when I get 5 :lol: I'm always up for playing around and if things go wrong it's not like it takes forever to do a hard reset & install things again... I'll keep U posted tho when I do get round to trying it :D

Guest thebeagle

hi there alphaflux

ive just read bonzos posts and im having the exact same problem, i cant even run the lock file now or install any sort of cabs, ive had my phone 3 days and i think the mpx200 is great, do you recomend that i do a hard reset on the phone, its on orange in the uk, also doing the hard reset, will that make me be able to install cabs again,

thanks for your time

James

Well I haven't got round to trying things again with the new cab yet but I have just found another signed app that won't load with the original un-lock cab loaded... it's TC Data Viewer... just thought U might like to try it alpha :lol:

Guest alphaflux

Ok guys and gals ... before we get underway; first an apology for not getting back to people yesterday. I was feeling decidedly worse for wear and really didn’t feel up to working on this ... :cry: However, I am now back in the land of the living and after spending some time on it this morning and pleased to be coming back at ya with the latest and greatest ! :wink:

So, on to the good stuff …

Find attached a new implementation of the security policy. This comes in the form of an application (rather than cabinet) because of the issues some people have experienced with installing unsigned cabinets since the last release! Although I have released it in this form for that reason, don’t think its only for those people. The new permissions are for everyone and should address any problems people are having with the installation of signed applications. I would have tried it with your latest find Bonzo, but as of yet I have been unable to locate the application. :cry: It has been further tested with the other reported applications though.

Just download and run in the same fashion you would with the cabinet. i.e. copy it to your phone and run, simple as that. (A more detailed version of this procedure can be found at the top of page 3 on this thread. Just replace references to the .cab with .exe.) PLEASE NOTE: In order to run this application; you must also have run the cabinet from the first page on this thread.

I understand that some people may have issues running in running an .exe rather than a cabinet, and all I can say is that I guarantee it to be free from any malicious code. I hope that is enough ... but if you are uncomfortable running it, then please don't. For those that are in the situation where they are unable to run unsigned cabinets however; this is a quick fix and the only way to restore the functionality on your phone without a hard reset.

Let me know … :wink:

Alphaflux.

Guest alphaflux

megaman: It has been tried and tested with the Orange UK phones and AT&T released phones are by default unlocked, so there is no need to run it on those. As for other networks, I am afraid it is untested.

Depending on the way the operator has configured the phone for release, it may or may not work, but if you have an application locked phone its worth a go. If you are unsure; you could always post the SecurityPolicy configuration you have in place now and I can check first.

As always ... let me know. :wink:

Alphaflux.

Guest Shuflie

I seem to have a slight problem. I ran the signedcabfix2 which went off and did what it does, however now I'm having problems.

I downloaded the latest version of Binarys SPtaskmanager and Smartexplorer. Task manager installed just fine but smartexplorer loads the cab and asks where it should be installed to before saying that the program doesn't have adequate system permissions.

My history with installing your CAB files has been

1. Alphaflux Unlock.CAB

2. Alphaflux SignedCAB Fix2.CAB

I have tried running the unlock cab again but it fails with the does not have adequate system permissions this time around. The unlock fix.exe just says registry update failed. Any ideas or is it going to be a hard reset?

Guest lawsonium

Alphaflux,

I am watching with interest, and downloading as we go, though have not installed anything yet, am waiting for your wonderful work to be given a clean bill of health :lol:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say well done, and please keep up the good work it is much appreciated.

I can't wait to install the final solution.

Where in Poole do you live dude? I spent a lot of time working in Poole, I stayed in a small guest house down on the quay opposite the museum, it was called the quayside or something original like that :D

Matt

Guest alphaflux

Thanks lawsonium, it is good to hear that people do appreciate it and understand some of the problems that have been experienced. I am a little confused (to say the least) as to why the released settings have worked on my phone, but have failed on others. It is just a matter of working this out, and as long as unsigned applications can be run, which they can with any of the cabinets that have been released, there is a solution to this.

FYI though: The original unlock cabinet is safe to run, and has been proven. As you know there have been some issues identified with the installation of some signed applications. However, any problems you have with installing can be addressed by running the lock cabinet for the install, and then re-applying the unlock again afterwards. It is a pain, but from posts on this thread it works. If you have any of the fix (!) cabinets, disregard them.

I am producing another update application at the moment, it will allow for a bit more debugging. With it I can work out where the update is failing. A message saying registry update complete/failed is not good enough to tell at the moment. It should be ready by tomorrow afternoon. The only thing then is to get some testers ! :wink:

Thanks again for the patience people, we'll get there ...

Alphaflux.

Guest alphaflux

Ok, version 2 of the unlock application attached to this post. Fancy giving it a go Shuflie ... :lol:

I have a lot more faith in this version, the mechanisms used are a lot more effective. :wink: It has certainly proved to be very effective at fixing deliberately caused problems on my phone. 8) It should undo any earlier changes and implement a SecurityPolicy to address the cabinet installation issues. I don't anticipate this version having any issues (but I realise I've said that before :oops: ). If this does fail however, there is extensive error checking ... and if you could send me the logs I can work out pretty easily where the problem is. Unfortunately I haven't had time to get an automatic save of the log coded, so you'll have to note down any error codes by hand I am afraid.

Let me know ...

Alphaflux.