Application unlock (decert) your Orange UK MPx200

Guest alphaflux

Guest Shuflie

There is one thing that I'm having problems with, its mobipocket again. The app install just fine but cannot send newsfile updates to the phone. I had just thought that newsfiles weren't supported on the smartphone version but reading through their website gives the impression that they are. Here a quote about the released smartphone version.

08/22/2003 : The signed version of the application is now available for download, and it does not require your smartphone to be unlocked.  

Note however that due to restrictions on the Geotrust certificate that Mobipocket is using, the ActiveSync conduit will only work on unlocked phones. This means that you can only synchronize enews with the Mobipocket Web Companion and ActiveSync if your phone is unlocked.

Any ideas would be appreciated as although it is possible to send the news files by email, they can be quite a large attachment and if there's not much room in the IPSM it may cause problems. Does anyone know why the Geotrust certificate doesn't get through the current unlock setup?

Guest Shuflie

Hmm.. Just found out that I can send enews to the phone using the PC version of mobipocket, so it is possible to do, just more difficult since I have to manually update news then open mobipocketreader on the PC and choose to send to PDA with smartphone as the chosen PDA. Would still like it to work as it should though.

Guest alphaflux

Bonzo: Oh yeah, you are definately the application king. If there are any applications out there that will trip this up; I have no doubt that you will find them. :lol: The newly crowned application king takes on his first challenge ! :wink:

Guest alphaflux

Shuflie: I've no experience with mobipocket I am afraid. I have downloaded a trial version of it, but really can't get my head around it. :cry: I've been unable to find anything that allows me to setup downloads; guess it has something to do with the online account.

Does the application work correctly with the phone in a default locked state ?

Guest alphaflux

Lawsonium: Like shuflie said. :wink: ... and to re-lock, just run the LOCK cabinet that you downloaded.

The smartphone 2002 SDK contains some information about the secuirty settings and values (take a look at the SDK help file under "Smartphone 2002 guide, managing applications and security, smartphone 2002 security model"). This will give you a good overview of the secuirty model and possible configurations. It is certainly the best information I have found on the subject to date. However, it is far from complete; most of the information I have now came from trial and error and a little reverse engineering :wink:.

Writing or porting software for the smartphone will not require you to know any thing about the security policies anyway. As long as the phone is unlocked; you can develop unsigned applications.

Alphaflux.

Guest lawsonium

Thanks Alphaflux

I have been downloading various parts of the MS Smartphone development kit, with only a dial-up connection I am having to do it a bit at a time with Getright!

As soon as I have the SDK (about 9% so far :roll: ) I'll take a look.

I will attempt to unlock my phone in a minute and install some apps, I will report back with my news!

What is a good example of a 'signed' app that I don't already have on my phone I can use to test with after I have made the unlock?

Also, how do I locate the security settings so I can post them here in case I have any trouble?

Many thanks as always.

Matt

Guest alphaflux

Dial-up, ouch !! :cry:

Orneta Notepad seems to be the common test application. Give that one a go ... but generally just install the things you need and report back any issues.

OK well I've tried pretty much everything I can think of that may be of use to people and a few extras as well :D Phonic applications & talking dictionaries included and I haven't found a problem with any yet :lol:

Guest Shuflie

Don't spend too much time on the mobipocket issue, tested it with my SPV on ROM1.6 which I unlocked OTA after the upgrade. It doesn't allow enews syncing either. Shame really since the enews feature is really nice. Guess I'll have to either live with manually syncing each news section or stick to reading on my Axim until mobipocket sort it out.

Guest lawsonium

Ok, I've been messin' around all night doing other things but I finally decided I had to bite the bullet and install your unlock app (please note that I'm one of those people who, unless 100% certain of success, is very unsettled with installing essentially BETA apps like this, so this was a big step as I hate having to fix problems I cause).

I just installed, as per Shuflie (thanks dude) and Alphaflux’s instructions, the unlock .cab and then the .exe and my MPx200 announced that it had been successful, which was nice (Fastshow reference :-) )!

Now, previously I had installed the Remote Display Control app from Microsoft and strangely (or so I thought, but it makes sense if you think about it… Duh!) the phone allowed me to install it from my PC but when I tried to run the Smartphone side of the app it gave me the ‘permissions’ error.

Since installing your Unlock app Alphaflux, I am happy to announce that I now have full control over my phone from my PC :-) which makes me a very happy bunny.

Now I plan to test the crap out of it with as many of the cool apps that are out there as I can. I will install the Notepad prog you guys were having trouble with earlier and report back here.

Considering the teamwork I have witnessed in this thread, all due to ‘our’ Alphaflux, I think this is a bit of a Landmark event in the MPx200’s life, let’s hope all bugs have been well and truly fluxed :-)

Guest lawsonium

Here's whats working

MS Remote Display Control

PHM Registry Editor

PocketCandy

QuickClose

DoomSPV

SPVInvaders

Smartris

ParticleFX

ParticleFX2

Then I tried to install ornetanotepad_setup.exe and my phone said this was not a valid Windows CE application!?!?!?!?

So, this isn't an 'Unlock' issue I know, but it is an issue for me none the less. Any ideas? I really want to give Alphaflux another successful case study :lol:

Thanks in advance, Matt.

Guest alphaflux

Yeah, thats right. The Orneta Notepad setup application is one that you launch from your PC. It will extract the cabinets to a folder locally and then copy them over via activesync. You will then get a dialog on the phone asking where you want to install it. :lol:

Nice to hear things are still running smoothly for everyone. :wink:

Guest lawsonium

Thanks dom and Alphaflux.

I really should read things first before jumping in there clicking like a madman. It installed fine, but there is a small bug, maybe everyone experiences it, but maybe it's just me.

While editing text inside orneta notepad if I select for example the menu option 'General Settings' (it actually happens with EVERY screen including the basic pull up menu's) whether I change a setting or not, when I either select 'Done' or 'Cancel' I can no longer see the text I was writing, all I can see is the Ghost of the 'General Settings' screen. However, I can still type and edit the text as I can see the character count incrementing in the title bar, I just can't see the text!

The program doesn't hang or crash, but when I return back to the home screen and then switch back to the editor all I can see is the Ghost of the homescreen!!!!!

What's going on? I like the idea of this program so would really like to be able to use it now Alphaflux has enabled us to install it.

Matt

Guest Shuflie

Check your font settings, should be about 7 width and height 14. Mine were some ridiculus values for some reason. But if the App installs and runs then Alphaflux has done his job and your problem is now with Orneta.

This is a bit offf topic but did you know that you can copy and paste from one notpad file to another? Its a bit long winded but here goes.

1 open notepad and get first file

2 press home button

3 open notepad again and get second file.

4 select and copy text from second file

5 press home button

6 open taskmanager make first notepad active (I'm using SP taskmanager here, not sure if IA Taskmanager does this too)

7 Select paste to do the obvious.

Guest lawsonium

Point taken Shuflie.

I checked the font settings and they were both set to '30801920' which as you rightly pointed out is rediculous. Changed them and everything working fine.

So I seem to be working fine here with unsigned and signed apps, dim problem (as they say in Wales).

Thanks for everything Alphaflux, very helpful and generous.

I'll keep watching this thread for a while though to see if anyone else posts their experiences with an unlocked phone.

Matt.

hi alphaflux,

yes i am one of the ones where your cab file doesnt work :cry: .

i have tryed to install the php regedit and it will install ok but wont run as it does not have (adeqaute system permisions) i am now at a loss :roll:

Guest cheekymonkey

Many, many thanks Alphaflux: my mpx200 is now even sweeter.

Word of warning to people as daft as me: take care locking and relocking... I totally forgot where I was and locked the thing up tighter than I don't know what. Mind you, a hard reset did remove the MMS client that was slowing down my inbox, and I can now make up my own homescreens.

Thanks again Alphaflux.

Guest alphaflux

andie: Sorry to hear it doesn't seem to work for you. :cry: I am sure there is something that can be done to get it working though. 8) So ...

Does the unlock cabinet successfully run ? i.e. does it come back and report that the installation was complete. Also, and I am just checking here, have you definately run the unlock and not the lock cabinet ? If you are able to install unsigned cabinets, but not run unsigned applications, that is indicative of a phone in a locked state.

There is also another way to unlock the phone ... I have released an update application; which you can find on page 7 of this thread. It has been tested by a number of people and reports of its success are good. Would certainly be worth a go if you are having problems with the unlock cabinets. Just follow the instructions on the post.

As always, if you have any problems, let me know ...

Alphaflux.

dont wana sound too dumb but i am new and i dont wana kill my phone just yet where exactly do i install this file to what floder please sorry for being new and a pain in the ass

Here's an interesting situation to ponder over Alpha :lol: ,(Yeah like I ever give U anything other than headaches)!!!

Had my phone lock up over the weekend so I had to do a hard reset... installed all my signed app's then the app unlock cab followed by the unlock 3 exe... following this All Locations GPRS traffic counter wouldn't open... not enough security permissions yadda yadda yadda... re-applied the lock cab & then the app unlock cab & it was all working again!!!!!

Also I dunno if U use it but Send SMS & Read SMS won't seem to work either!!! The error message I get with Send SMS is associated with the phone not being app unlocked!!! I know this was written for SPV models but just thought I'd try it out anyway :D

Guest cheekymonkey

All was working sweet for me until Smart Explorer failed install. Oh well, one hard reset later along with careful following of the new method on page 7 and all is fine. Thanks for the excellent 'customer' support Alpha :lol:

Guest Shuflie

Did you use the method on page seven of this post? Just running the unlock cab from page one will only report back that the cab has been installed so I suspect that that is what you have done.

Alphaflux: why don't you go back and edit the instructions and files included on page one so that newcomers can benefit immediately from all the debug work you have done?