Returning your E200? You must be mad!

Guest snakeeater

Guest snakeeater

First off I dont want to offend anyone here, these are just MY opinions on the E200 and I respect the fact that other may not agree with some of my points.

There have been quite a few posts since the wonderful E200 came out complaining about battery life and the joystick etc. What Im seeing is people getting blinded by the few problems and turning a blind eye to what must be one of the most capable phones on the market.

The amount of things the E200 CAN do is staggering, and all in a reasonable sized device. Anyway lets address the issues:

* Battery life - Not great I admit but something that can be improved with a future update. I know the update may be way off but until then Im not too bothered as it sits charging in the cradle when Im transferring files movies etc, which I do quite often.

* Bluetooth battery life - See above.

* Joystick - I was surprised by the news but to be honest Ive only ever played the simplest of games on the SPV (ahem Jawbreaker), for real gaming I use my Xbox. I really bought the spv for mp3, video recording, picture taking, html web browsing, outlook, etc. (remember SPV stands for: sound, picture, video)

At the end of the day the E200 is a very VERY well equipt mobile which is also stunning looking, everyone who has seen it has been impressed by it. The only reason I can genuinely see for returning it is if you are a hardcore SPV gamer (is there such a thing?), otherwise the other issues can be addressed with a future update. It may be far off, but at the end of the day you still have one of the SMARTEST mobiles available. Something a few of you seem to have forgotten. Id NEVER consider returning mine, for me most of the other mobiles out there fall short in one area or another. None of them even look as good as the SPV for one 8)

Yes, the E200 can do a staggering amount of things, but unfortunately it can't do any of them for very long because it runs of of batteries. Woe betide you if you forget to charge it the night before as the phone won't make it past breakfast.

It's no good having lots of features if the battery is exhausted in a matter of hours. Because of the poor battery live I maintain that it makes a poor phone AND a poor PDA in spite of being marketed as potential replacement for these things.

And if transfering movies takes so long as to charge your phone I would count that as another minus, not a plus. If people want something which looks pretty but which doesn't do anything I suggest they carry around a flower.

Guest snakeeater
Yes, the E200 can do a staggering amount of things, but unfortunately it can't do any of them for very long because it runs of of batteries. Woe betide you if you forget to charge it the night before as the phone won't make it past breakfast.

It's no good having lots of features if the battery is exhausted in a matter of hours. Because of the poor battery live I maintain that it makes a poor phone AND a poor PDA in spite of being marketed as potential replacement for these things. 

And if transfering movies takes so long as to charge your phone I would count that as another minus, not a plus. If people want something which looks pretty but which doesn't do anything I suggest they carry around a flower.

Id have to disagree, when Im transferring movies etc Im merely topping up the battery not doing a complete charge. I do that overnight. As I said future updates will no doubt help the battery life as with the original SPV. Its not a fault and it DOESNT make it a bad phone, and its very probably going to be sorted with the update.

To suggest that transferring movies takes a long time and that this is another fault tends to point to the suggestion that *maybe* you WANT to dislike the E200? (note: movies transfer quickly BTW)

This isnt really a valid reason to return the phone as the good points far outweigh the bad.

Guest snakeeater
If people want something which looks pretty but which doesn't do anything I suggest they carry around a flower.

Doesnt do anything? We are talking about an SPV right?

Doesnt do anything? We are talking about an SPV right?

I have to agree with dhood on this one.

The battery issue does make me consider returning my e200, and this should be reason enough. I can't use it with bluetooth, and as an mp3 player except for showing off.

Again consider... what good is the phone, if you can only use it for 5-6 hrs. at a time (if even)?

I plan on talking to O tomorrow.

Ahh, memories of last year..

What's wrong with returning the SPV E200 now, and getting a better version when it comes out, bug fixed and all?

Kind of like picking up an E100 as opposed to an SPV 'classic'

I personally plumped for an Mpx200 as its had just about every bug ironed out (well, so far so good) and I don't need a camera or bluetooth - given word of a version with these two and smartphone 2k3 coming out early next year, why would you want to have an E200 for now for any reason other than aesthetic value (to be honest I don't like the look either).

First off I dont want to offend anyone here, these are just MY opinions on the E200 and I respect the fact that other may not agree with some of my points.

There have been quite a few posts since the wonderful E200 came out complaining about battery life and the joystick etc.  What Im seeing is people getting blinded by the few problems and turning a blind eye to what must be one of the most capable phones on the market.

The amount of things the E200 CAN do is staggering, and all in a reasonable sized device.  Anyway lets address the issues:

*  Battery life - Not great I admit but something that can be improved with a future update.  I know the update may be way off but until then Im not too bothered as it sits charging in the cradle when Im transferring files movies etc, which I do quite often.

*  Bluetooth battery life - See above.

*  Joystick - I was surprised by the news but to be honest Ive only ever played the simplest of games on the SPV (ahem Jawbreaker), for real gaming I use my Xbox.  I really bought the spv for mp3, video recording, picture taking, html web browsing, outlook, etc. (remember SPV stands for: sound, picture, video)

At the end of the day the E200 is a very VERY well equipt mobile which is also stunning looking, everyone who has seen it has been impressed by it.  The only reason I can genuinely see for returning it is if you are a hardcore SPV gamer (is there such a thing?), otherwise the other issues can be addressed with a future update.  It may be far off, but at the end of the day you still have one of the SMARTEST mobiles available.  Something a few of you seem to have forgotten.  Id NEVER consider returning mine, for me most of the other mobiles out there fall short in one area or another.  None of them even look as good as the SPV for one 8)

Releasing a phone with such a ridiculous battery performance in Nov. 2003 tells me only one thing: They HAD to MAKE IT BEFORE the XMAS BUSINESS !! It take a big amount of arrogance towards a customer to do so, considering their past performance in terms of quality

Well I might get slated for this but personally I wasnt expecting so many problems from my e200, so I have arranged for mine to be sent back to Orange after only having it for 3 days.

The things that really pissed me off were

1. Call quality - crap

2. Speakerphone on my handset was not functioning properly

3. The quality of the video recordings were rubbish

I'm now back to using my trusty old SPV and am thinking of getting the Mpx 200 seen as it wont cost that much. I'm not too bothered about not having a camera as I wouldnt have used it much anyway and bluetooth would have just been a very seldom-used accessory.

Oh well, maybe the SPV e300 end of 2004 will tempt me back :-)

im keeping mine just like i did with the original SPV, theres only small bugs which can be fairly easily fixed. The only major thing for me is if the joystick is a hardware problem, in which case i cant play a few games (thats not what its for anyway :lol:)

I think some people are spoilt with features they don't even realise and throw it all away due to a coupla small bugs ;)

I stuck with my original SPV last year when it was first released even though it had quite a lot of problems. After the events of last year, I thought that Orange/Microsoft/HTC would have learnt their lesson and made the release of the e200 as smooth as possible.

I mean problems like the call quality and speakerphone should have definately have been noticed during their 'testing' of the handset. I paid good money for the handset so expected it to work quite smoothly out of the box.

I appreciate it is a great phone if it didnt have these lil problems and I'm sure Orange will have them sorted out soon, but I just think that Orange should have done a bit better second time around.

I hope all you people who have kept the e200 have the problems sorted out soon. :lol:

Guest jason76

i took it for granted that thier will be some software problems

but so manny, and some with the hardware :cry:

do i send back or not :?: getting a bit obsessed.

I think most people would not be as botherd about the probs

if it wasn't for the mpx200. it looks tempting :?

Guest Digital_Carnage

I was one of those people that got the Original SPV when it first came out. It too had many problems and people were sending it back, just like whats happening with the E200. Now with the updates the SPV is a stable & good phone and the battery life has vastly improved. This WILL happen again with the E200, so I have decided to keep mine.

Was tempted by the MPX200 but WM2003, integrated-camera and bluetooth just done it for me.

The E200 will improve but unfortunately it's just gonna take some time, and I have that time for this platform because it's the best platform there is.

NUFF SAID!!

Guest snakeeater
I was one of those people that got the Original SPV when it first came out. It too had many problems and people were sending it back, just like whats happening with the E200. Now with the updates the SPV is a stable & good phone and the battery life has vastly improved. This WILL happen again with the E200, so I have decided to keep mine.

Was tempted by the MPX200 but WM2003, integrated-camera and bluetooth just done it for me.

The E200 will improve but unfortunately it's just gonna take some time, and I have that time for this platform because it's the best platform there is.

NUFF SAID!!

Yeah I think a little patience (or a LOT in Orange's case) will see many of the glitches ironed out. As far as the battery though, I must admit that it still hasnt proved to be any kind of concern for me. My last phone was a Panasonic GD87. Try owning one of them for a while and I garantee that the SPV wont be an issue. The GD87 ran flat even when Id hardly touched it all day never mind using the camera feature! Now that really is crap!

I really hope Orange put a lot of effort into the future update though. A well thought out comprehensive update could be enough to satisfy a lot of people. As for me, anything additional to what the E200 already offers is a bonus in my eyes :lol:

Guest chucky.egg
I think a little patience (or a LOT in Orange's case) will see many of the glitches ironed out.

I hope you're right, but I'm not prepared to put up with a sub-standard phone while O/MS/HTC/who-ever-else come up with a solution.

For me that is unacceptable, and I would think that most people would feel the same if it was a different product (for some reason we all seem to get a bit obsessive about our phones! - I know I do)

Supposing we were talking about a car, and halfway through September Ford said "Sorry, but you won't be able to use the electric windows until mid-November" *. Then they bring out a new car, but whenever you drive it the stereo tunes in to "white noise" and you can't turn it off while the engine is running?

Not good enough IMO

* what did happen to mid-November btw?

Guest snakeeater

I hope you're right, but I'm not prepared to put up with a sub-standard phone while O/MS/HTC/who-ever-else come up with a solution.

For me that is unacceptable, and I would think that most people would feel the same if it was a different product (for some reason we all seem to get a bit obsessive about our phones! - I know I do)

Supposing we were talking about a car, and halfway through September Ford said "Sorry, but you won't be able to use the electric windows until mid-November" *. Then they bring out a new car, but whenever you drive it the stereo tunes in to "white noise" and you can't turn it off while the engine is running?

Not good enough IMO

* what did happen to mid-November btw?

I see what your saying even if your example is a little extreme. I usually dont let little things get to me too much, and its certainly not going to cause the world to end whilst I wait for an update.

You gotta chill, this kind of strain could cause a partial stroke unless you learn to take it easy :lol:

Mines going back, cant even leave it on standby for 24 hours, not much use if I'm round my girlfriends all weekend and I dont have a charger!

Talk about a Christmas rush job, I dont think the original SPV was this bad!

Dave

Guest chucky.egg
You gotta chill, this kind of strain could cause a partial stroke unless you learn to take it easy  :lol:

Yeah, you're right, but I had high hopes for this E200 and was really disappointed

Guest snakeeater
Mines going back, cant even leave it on standby for 24 hours, not much use if I'm round my girlfriends all weekend and I dont have a charger!

Talk about a Christmas rush job, I dont think the original SPV was this bad!

Dave

Does your girlfriend not have electricity? You could take the charger, its only little, its not as if you are carrying a generator around with you :lol: