E200 Ever felt like you're paying to be a Beta Tester?

Guest skyvalley

Guest skyvalley

Apologies in advance as this is likely to be a long one ;-)

I'll start with the question above, do you feel like the E200 has been released almost like a beta version? Are you a little annoyed that as early adopters we've paid top-dollar for a device that, maybe, shouldn't have made it to market in its present condition?

Next question.

Well what can we do about it?

The short answer is sweet FA, well unless we all take our E200's back on the 14 day guarantee. I don't know about you guys, but despite the faults, I love mine too much to do that.

The short answer isn't really any good then!

I work in the handset industry and have a small number of contacts, and when I started harping on to friends about getting a smartphone they all said "go and have a look at Modaco, there's a lot of good info on there and the contributors are well respected". People who said stuff like this included O and MS bods who are directly involved in the Smartphone programs.

So modaco people have respect within the industry (now don't get big heads people). My proposal is let's do our best to try and make something come good out of that respect!

We can't do anything apart from highlight the issues for the E200 now, but what about the next Exxx?

I've been reading the posts in this forum for about ten days now and there are some chaps in here who really know their stuff, in fact I reckon there's plenty of us who could fix some of these recurrent bugs given access to the code. Of course that wouldn't ever happen for any product but I reckon we could provide good feedback pre-launch for the next SPV.

To cut a long story short (before you all fall asleep), what I'm suggesting is that Modaco should get together a group of it's members made up of a mix of industry pros, gadget freaks and plain old everyday users and put forward this group for early testing of the next SPV. We've got the perfect mix of knowledge here and Modaco provides a fantastic vehicle for driving testing on through the forums. I mean for Orange, they get virtually free testing from a bunch of people who may well do as good a job as MS and HTC and will undoubtedly catch some of the issues that slip through the net during system test. Additionally the trial group can be controlled by a respectable and knowledgable organisation.

And I reckon most of us would love to do it!! I know there'd be issues like NDA's that would have to be sorted but wouldn't it be worth it for O, MS and HTC to prevent another situation like this one which doesn't just hurt the SPV name but the Orange and MS names too?!

I know I'm a newbie on here so maybe I shouldn't be getting so anarchic, but I'm pretty fired up about this because I've been well and truly converted to the SPV and (dare I say it coz my colleagues will kill me) the MS smartphone platform and I want it to get more success.

To finish, I'd like to say that arranging a scheme like this would be very difficult, maybe impossible, but Modaco potentially has the reputation to do it. What do you all reckon?

Rewind a year.

Oh look, exactly the same situation with the original SPV..

That scheme will never happen given Microsofts a) organisation :lol: disorganisation c) beaureacracy.

Beta testing can be quite fun though..

Guest skyvalley

I can't say I did my homework on the SPV a year ago mate, but I've spoken to some guys from MS and from O. They have all shown a lot of respect for Modaco, it's a very long shot but maybe there's a chance of acheiving something through this reputation. Or maybe the glass is in fact half empty :lol:

Let's just say when the SPV first came out it was.. A mess.

I still remember going to the first meet, months after its release and Microsoft people going "ooooh, I didn't know you could do that". Plus all that crap with app signing, urgh..

Actually, maybe you're not far off given that the mods got to test the phantom 1.6 release.

But its a bit of a step up from there to liasing with HTC - O and Microsoft may have a good relation, but never heard anything from the peeps in Taiwan.

I'm sticking to big name brands like my lovely new Motorola from now on - the software is pretty much mature nowadays, its just hardware concerns.. Urgh.. And T9.. lol..

Guest skyvalley

Emad, you'll have to let me know what the moto is like, I have to admit I'm a bit biased against them but the MPx200 does look quite good.

BTW I've just read that E200 is being withdrawn from sale, could we be looking at a product recall? Very costly and embarassing for O.

Guest spacecowboy6982

Dont read anything MSMobiles has to say - its just rumour, if not lies. Wit hregards to beta-testing, yes the SPV was full of bugs that needed sorting when it came out. The only bug I have a year on with my E-200 is custom T9 words not saving themselves.

All in all, a classy phone. Just wait till developers get a hang of .net and Wm2k3 - the games will be immense, even if you do have to play them on a "4way" control. Dreaming of Kumite =p~

spacecowboy