Group Text Function

Guest chocobogo

Guest chocobogo

If you look in the "Oragne" Folder in your start menu, you will see a lot of extra features added by orange, like the standard Orange Update and Orange Backup as seen on previous SPV models, but one of the new features is called "Group Text" which is found in "Orange Plus" which allows you to create your own text groups to send out custom group messages, this feature seems VERY un user friendly, and i'm not sure how it works. If you create a group it asks for a name, then asks you to add entries (which cant be entered from the phone book!! so has to be entered manually) but it doesnt ask for a name. Also a message "SMS Sent" is displayed as soon as you change any info, then when you have finished creating the group a messge is displayed along the lines of

"YOUR GROUP created, send SMS to 24536 to send a group message to this group"

So it looks like this service sends a load of SMSs out to orange to create the desired group ( i dont think it uses GPRS as I didnt see the icon), so do orange charge for an SMS sent to add a contact to that group, then charge you for each member in that group that gets a message when you send out a group text.

This seems like another scam from orange to make some quick bucks!

Anyone else got some info on this?

Shall I look into SMS Tools?

Guest stevewright

This has been available for years, and was when phones were simpler!

You can do group text by simply adding a load of contacts to the "To:" field. Now imagine you're using a Nokia 3210. You (take ages) and set up a group that gets stored at Orange. Then, when you want to text a load of people, you simply text the number (e.g. your 24536) and Orange redistributes it for you.

10p a message of course - 5 contacts on the list? 50p for the lot.

Guest chocobogo

I know that you can add many contacts on the To: line

But surely it wouldnt be to hard to create a group eg. "Mates"

and send to that whole group directly from the new SMS feature!!

Guest stevewright

Well yes. I don't understand. I thought you complaining about having to do that though? Or was your complaint if they charge you to set up the group in the first place? If so, then yeah - that's well bad.

Guest chocobogo

No, its not the cost so much that Im worrying about, i understand that sending a group text means you pay for each text you send to the members of the group, its just orange seem to have implemeted this in a bad way, what I am saying is, when you create a contact you should be able to specify what group it is in, then upon creating a SMS select to send it to a whole group rather than having to add each contact 1 by 1 into the To: line. Other phones like the T68i have this option and it works well.