SPV E200 Speaker problem

Guest timpharrison

Guest timpharrison

If you dial any number (150 will do) and turn up to a reasonable volume, you will hear bad distortion. The sound is very fuzzy.

The problem with the speaker appears to only occur with calls; if I play an MP3 loud, the quality is fine (in fact very good).

Also the problem occurs when using the handset speaker, or the handsfree set.

Putting this together makes me think that the problem is something other than a physical problem with the speaker.. it must be something to do with the way the sound is processed on a voice call.

So:

1) Could a software fix sometime in the future fix this?

2) What are Orange likely to do? For those of you reading this, that don't own the handset, I have to explain that the buzzing/distortion is very very marked. There's no way Orange can expect several thousand users to accept it.

FINALLY, if you have an E200 and are NOT experiencing this fault, let me know - then I know its worth getting mine replaced!!

Tim

Is it possible that this problem is being caused by low level feedback from the speaker to the mic? It would explain why it happens only on voice calls.

I haven't got an E200 handy at the moment but has anyone tried muting the mic on a call to 150 and see whether that improves the quality?

Guest snakeeater
If you dial any number (150 will do) and turn up to a reasonable volume, you will hear bad distortion.  The sound is very fuzzy.

The problem with the speaker appears to only occur with calls; if I play an MP3 loud, the quality is fine (in fact very good).

Also the problem occurs when using the handset speaker, or the handsfree set. 

Putting this together makes me think that the problem is something other than a physical problem with the speaker.. it must be something to do with the way the sound is processed on a voice call.

So:

1)  Could a software fix sometime in the future fix this?

2) What are Orange likely to do?  For those of you reading this, that don't own the handset, I have to explain that the buzzing/distortion is very very marked.  There's no way Orange can expect several thousand users to accept it.

FINALLY, if you have an E200 and are NOT experiencing this fault, let me know - then I know its worth getting mine replaced!!

Tim

Take it back and get a replacement handset?

Ive had mine for about 5 days now and its fine.