Has anyone opened their E200 yet? Cause I have...

Guest anonmaniac

Guest anonmaniac

Yep, the subject line says it all. I got this phone yesterday and I have a habit of dismantling things. I am a regular reader on here but dont wish for too many people to know who I am, especially the Mobile Phone shop who sold me the phone :lol:

Anyhow, the pics came out really poor (that'd be a P900, lol) so I am going to retake them at home with a Canon A20 and post them later (if there is a demand?). Here are some thoughts...

The buzz, the buzz!! Yes, I've got it too, but only when someone speaks, on a silent line there is no buzzing. So, I think we can rule out interference or something like that. Now when I looked at the speaker, it is a large oval speaker and if tapping the cone of the speaker gently, it rattles!!. There is a small foam insert in there but it is very rigid. So I think whats happening is the sound is being emitted by the speaker and getting reflected from the foam/casing causing the speaker to rattle. Any opinions on this guys? I have removed the foam and it has no effect, maybe it really is a batch of duff speakers.

Im going to have a go at putting a thicker piece of foam in there tonight that is softer as the gap between the foam and the speaker is a few millimeters, and I know that on nokias it pretty much sits in contact with the speaker cone.

So, while I have the phone apart, does anyone want to know anything, want a picture of anything, or want me to try something to fix the buzzing?

UPDATE: Here are the pics...

front.jpg

This is the front of the phone.. ummm

back.jpg

...and the back

back2.jpg

A bit of a close up on the back with the aerial. You can see the camera in the middle. I know the pictures are naff but someones "borrowed" my good camera.

back3.jpg

Removed the aerial and you can see the camera. There is a ribbon cable hooking it to the motherboard. The connector is fairly well populated but I wouldnt know whether it is a duplicate of the sync connector or not, maybe thats been mentioned here before?

case2.jpg

You can just make out the gold contacts of the speaker at the top of the casing. It is stuck in around the edge of the speaker with an adhesive but not superglued in, so it is easy to remove.

speaker.jpg

This is the speaker as removed, with my home made foam insert. It is a bit of antistat foam from a motherboard box.

And now the bad news, it made absolutely no difference. The sound is exactly the same from the handset. I dont know what to say, I still think the majority of the problem may be with the speaker itself but if it is, I know not how to fix it. Maybe Orange can reduce the bass output of the phone to let the speaker relax? Either way, got some pics out of it :-)

PS. Re the joystick, the connector on it has 8 pins smt'd to the board. I havent got a picture, but if you imagine a square which is the joystick, and then at the top there is 1 connector, at the bottom is another, and there are 3 on each side. Anyone know how many switched this would be?

Guest Coolboy1982
The buzz, the buzz!!  Yes, I've  got it too, but only when someone speaks, on a silent line there is no buzzing. So, I think we can rule out interference or something like that. Now when I looked at the speaker, it is a large oval speaker and if tapping the cone of the speaker gently, it rattles!!. There is a small foam insert in there but it is very rigid. So I think whats happening is the sound is being emitted by the speaker and getting reflected from the foam/casing causing the speaker to rattle. Any opinions on this guys? I have removed the foam and it has no effect, maybe it really is a batch of duff speakers.

You have to consider that many users reported the same buzz, when using

the headset, so it is rather some sort of equalizer problem with bass turned

to strong in the software, cause my headset works perfectly well with my

other (1st generation spv)

Guest spacecowboy6982

Holly hell - you've got balls mate - steel :!: It sounds to me like you know what your talking about so I'd go wit hyour theory. Pics would be good too :lol:

spacecowboy

Guest anonmaniac
You have to consider that many users reported the same buzz, when using

the headset, so it is rather some sort of equalizer problem with bass turned

to strong in the software, cause my headset works perfectly well with my

other (1st generation spv)

Yes, I hadnt considered that properly. I also get a little buzzing when i use a headset too but it is nowhere near what it is on the handset speaker. Also, when using mediaplayer on the handset, it buzzes, but not on the headset? I think it may well be the combination of a bad output and bad speaker making a very bad sound?

And cowboy, I would say its more down to the drink than the balls. I have a nice cold fosters right here with me :-)

Guest spacecowboy6982

hehe :!: its dissapointing to hear that the buzz is still there so at least we ca ndefinitly say that its the speaker at fault :!:

Nice work :lol:

Buzzing is evident on my e200 through the main speaker, with included headphones and on a nokia handfree one headphone kit (seems to work if you pull the jack out a bit). All mp3, mpegs etc are fine with no distoration - just lack a little at the bottom end.

I can only assume that this is 'normal' and that the buzz others are mentioning is a problem with the speaker.

It seems to me that if your 'buzz' is much worse on the speaker than through the handfree set then you have a hardware issue and should get a replacement phone.

There has been some mention of a bad batch wth a suggestion that HT342 (s/n number) are bad. Mines HT343 - mind you this code could be anything even a country destination code (anyone know?)

One last thing to add,

Just noticed that my PC, once the devices are paired over bluetooth, acts as a headset for the phone.

There is no buzz distortion thorugh the pc speakers or a pair of headphones :?:

Guest gameonthego

I get worse buzzing when someone phone me off a landline - especially if they have a low voice.

I get it on the headsets etc when in call but not when listening to music.

This would seem to demonstrate the problem lieing in the voice data decoding / amplification cause its done seperately from output from audio applications like media player.

Love the phone but it has to work as phone primarily and perfectly with addons not the other way round

Guest Leo_dee

I think one thing we would all like to see a photo of is the joystick - the stick itself and the pads under it. As many photos and as much detial as possible would be great.