Availability of the Orange UK 1.61 Build

Guest Mr Orange

Guest neilfenstein

You say that the upgrade will backup/restore the setup and info on the phone. Will it however leave your phone unlocked or do you have to go through the unlocking process again?

Oh yeah thanks Mr. Orange V. good news!!! :lol:

It will most likely re-application lock the phone..just like most other updates.

Not sure about the simlock, this should probably remain in the same state as before you upgraded.

Will

Guest Drug_Store

Hi @all

I was just wondering if there will be more languages supported. I understand that they only should support the countrys that orange is selling, but I saw other languages on other ROM´s for countrys that they don´t even sell phones there.

I think that would be a great idea, if microsoft released langpacks for at least most of european countrys.

Now directly to the topic issue.

I think what it matters is:

- Reliability

- Graphics / Ringtones still the same? Or as always, need to input some really worth it.

- Battery Improvements? I hear always 20% / 30 % on all ROM updates, but in fact only add a couple of hours...

- There´s some application new? or improved? besides de msn fix, of course.

- Among some other stuff that really matters for the common user.

Anyway, we´re all wainting for this update for "ages", but I guess we all understand that sometimes things can go wrong in the last minute, so I guess it´s understandable this delay.

Thanks and sorry for my poor english... :roll:

Guest lindsc1

So, with this 1.6.1 Rom upgrade, will I be able to use my O2 SIM once the upgrade is completed! My phone is currently Sim unlocked with this remain after the upgrade or will my phone return to being locked to only Orange Sim cards?

Thanks

Chris

So, with this 1.6.1 Rom upgrade, will I be able to use my O2 SIM once the upgrade is completed! My phone is currently http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3976>SIM Unlock with this remain after the upgrade or will my phone return to being locked to only Orange Sim cards?

Thanks

Chris

Like Will said a bit up, it PROBABLY won't put the simlock back on. No gaurantees here untill someone has actually tried this.. :?

I'm eager to know this one too..

Guest krankie

If the upgrade does simlock the phone, won't we just have to stick in an alien SIM and rekey the unlock code obtained from the spvunlock utility?

Or will the upgrade mean the unlock code changes too?

Or does no-one know (i.e. it depends on the unknown element of how nasty Orange have been with simlocking on this upgrade)?

Guest Richie M

I would imagine it will be as other updates, by default it will activate the SIM Lock, but as you already have your SIM Unlock code this will just need re-entering - it will only be a problem if you do not already have the Unlock code :?

Unfortunately, i cant tell you for sure as 1) I didnt have the Unlock code before applying the 1.61 update, and 2) i'm on Orange anyway :roll:

Guest Shuflie

Which other updates from Orange have activated the SIM lock again then? In fact which other updates apart from the SMART one have activated SIM lock? None that I have tried out certainly. I'd imagine that Orange would want to avoid doing this as anyone who has applied for the SIM unlock code from them would immediatly get on the phone to them to complain, they may even have a case for calling in the lawyers.

Guest lindsc1

well, just incase the update does Sim lock my phone again I'm re-run the Sim Unlock utility and recorded the code in preparation for next Wednesday!!

C

Is there any news on what has changed in this release? I'm hoping that the following (at least) are fixed:

Making calls sometimes fails

The "straight to answerphone" problem

GPRS "dialing" problem

Also, is the power-on button any more reliable, or is that a hardware problem with the original SPV?

Guest morpheus2702

Posted from my SmartPhone! the radio stack has been updated so both call and data connectivity should be much improved. I would think though that the power on button is purely a hardware problem so not a lot can be done.

Guest mattscholey

Gibbo:

The GPRS dialling problem has been fixed. Don't know about the other two problems you mention.

And the power-on problem on the original SPV is a hardware problem. It's fine on the E100 (and E200 I assume).

Matt

Cheers for the info guys, the power button problem seems to have improved recently on my SPV for some reason. Looking forward to being able to use GPRS without turning the radio off and on several times.

No more than 72 hours left to go for the update according to Mr. Orange :lol: :D

Let's hope we get it before wednesday, as i am fed up with using my Nokia 7110 now :roll:

Guest morpheus2702

This could be like an episode of 24

"Right now Orange engineers are working on an update. My name is Jack Bauer and this is the longest (three) days of my life".

Bee-DEEP Bee-DEEP Bee-DEEP.

Guest NeilStewart

@Morpheus:

'The following events take place between mid November and 10th December... (tbc)"

The only difference between this and 24 is that 24 is gripping and done well.

Guest morpheus2702
@Morpheus:

'The following events take place between mid November and 10th December... (tbc)"

The only difference between this and 24 is that 24 is gripping and done well.

GENIUS!!! :lol: :D :) :D :D :D

"Shoot him in the head!"

Hope I don't feel like that on Wednesday.

Guest siu99spj

Why do I get the horrible feeling we're all going to be disappointed on the 10th? Maybe just the pessimist in me I guess. But if this update is all its cracked up to be then I might just be tempted to keep my SPV after my upgrade date (22nd December) and wait for the MPx220.

If only we had an offical/approximate release date...

Guest Ron Jeremy

If Orange knew what day it was they may think about commiting to a release date :wink:

Watch wednesday come and go, watch the SPV/E100 ROM upgrade stay unreleased......

Guest nedge2k

Is there even a point in 1.61. Surley (now here's the wishful thinking) sp2003 upgrade is just around the corner. Maybe im jus living in a beautiful dreamland :wink: