Availability of the Orange UK 1.61 Build

Guest Mr Orange

Guest aristoBrat
have orange promised an sp2003 upgrade? I guessed they'd be forcing customers to upgrade the hardware for a 2003 device like the E200

That's a dual-edged sword.

If they don't offer an OS upgrade path, they might get stuck with a lot of 2002 devices that won't sell, especially now that word of the 2003 OS is getting out.

Guest Ron Jeremy

I take your point. From the way you phrased your post I'm right in thinking Orange have not committed themselves one way or the other, that way minimising impact on potential sales?

Guest Jasonkruys

I believe that mr orange has already stated that the phone is capable of running the new os, but no business decision has been made yet-not that i think there will be one!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest morpheus2702

Programmer 1:

'How long have SPv/E100 users been waiting for an update for SM2002?'

Programmer 2:

'Oh ages, shall we do one?'

Programmer 1:

'Why bother?... they'll all be able to upgrade to WM2003 anyway'.

If that was the case - fantastic. But I just don't think it's going to happen.

Doesn't SPV/E100 have 16Mb/16Mb?

no, the e100 has 16mb

I know beyond any doubt that there is a prebuild of 2003 for the canary/E100 sneaking about in some circles, so no, memory is not the issue holding it back !

Guest Drug_Store
Programmer 1:

'How long have SPv/E100 users been waiting for an update for SM2002?'

Programmer 2:

'Oh ages, shall we do one?'

Programmer 1:

'Why bother?... they'll all be able to upgrade to WM2003 anyway'.

If that was the case - fantastic.  But I just don't think it's going to happen.

Doesn't SPV/E100 have 16Mb/16Mb?

I think it´s more:

"Why we´ll release SM2003 to SPV/E100? That way they won´t buy new phones."

Guest darkside

I wont be holding my breath for the 10th Dec I can remember the original spv update ( what a farce that was ) Orange could,nt string a line of words together to make a respectable sentence, so don't get your hope up on this update guys, if the original so called update is anything to go by. " Orange could,nt tie their shoelaces together, they made a right cock up of the download and install procedure on that update. And they forget to mention that the update would,nt work on windows me and any other operating system before that. I have lost all faith in Orange and their staff

:evil: HAVING NOW COME TO THE END OF MY CONTRACT WITH THEM I CAN HONESTLY SAY I,M GLAD TO BE OUT FROM UNDER THEIR SERVICE.

Guest scaryscotsman
The final build of a new RUU tool and the 1.61 build have just been sent to Microsoft for NSTL approval, we are also in the process of testing the new RUU tool internally to ensure that their are no failures during the upgrade process.

The new RUU tool will ensure that user data is backed up before the update takes place and then restores the data back to the handset once the update is complete.

Therefore barring no natural disasters I fully expect the update to be available  by Wednesday the 10th of Dec at the latest.

No sign of the update yet, but hey, I think thats what we all expected anyway. I do hope that orange prove my pessimism unfounded though and actually get behind Mr.Orange instead of giving him dates that there not gonna make.

Guest Richie M
No sign of the update yet, but hey, I think thats what we all expected anyway. I do hope that orange prove my pessimism unfounded though and actually get behind Mr.Orange instead of giving him dates that there not gonna make.

Er i thought Glasgow was in the same timezone as UK :?

Its Tuesday 9th December! so the update isnt due untill tomorrow :lol:

Also just a note to everyone, dont start complaining or posting "where's the update" if it doesn't appear at 00:01 Wednesday 10th December :roll:

there are 24 hours in a day, so it could be posted anytime between 00:01 and 23:59 :)

But i'm hoping around midday :D

Also just a note to everyone, dont start complaining or posting "where's the update" if it doesn't appear at 00:01 Wednesday 10th December :roll:

there are 24 hours in a day, so it could be posted anytime between 00:01 and 23:59 :)

But i'm hoping around midday :D

"Patience is a virtue... but i don't have the time."

£0.01 prize to the first poster tomorrow who complains!! :lol:

Guest Jasonkruys

would you be relaxed if you had paid what some have paid for their original spv and there was some chance their phone may now be what they imagined it would be at first purchase?

there are 24 hours in a day, so it could be posted anytime between 00:01 and 23:59 :D

But i'm hoping around midday :lol:

I would expect to see the update earlier than Wednesday 10th 00.01, as Mr. Orange said that would be the "latest" time that 1.61 would be released.

Who thinks there will be rioting on the streets of Bristol outside Orange HQ if we don't get the new update by Wednesday?

would you be relaxed if you had paid what some have paid for their original spv and there was some chance their phone may now be what they imagined it would be at first purchase?

As you can see I am relaxed... And I did pay a shitload of money for my SPV. Things are not getting better if I wind myself up over an upgrade. :lol:

Guest veridian3

Orange dont even need to update their page for the average user...they just need to chuck it on thr ftp in the same location as the old update and we can all download it now.

Seems like a nice thanks for us all waiting so long... :lol:

Guest spacemonkey

I'm sorry, but chill out. I paid £100 for my original SPV and I'm more than happy with it.

ALL I will get from the update is a minor increase in battery life and a slight improvement in GPRS reliability. That's it. It's not gonna change the world or make your SPV particularly better or more worth it.

Guest Shuflie
I've never seen such a huge fuss over a 10MB piece of software in my life.. Relax !  8)

You obviously weren't around for the feeding frenzy that occured when the 1.3.5 update came out then. :lol: